Using the info you provided, I was able to locate information regarding the guitar (including the version from the 1960s):
h t t p :// lmgtfy. com/?q = gibson+melody+maker

Click on the first search result from wikipedia.
Thanks! They are asking $450 for it and I'm seeing them go on Ebay for $1400. So I hope that it is not a reproduction from the 70s or 80s. I sent them an email for some more pictures and a S/N.
^i don't think they made melody makers in the '70s or '80s.

for $450 it's an alright guitar, the old melody makers are beautifully crafted and a little lacking on the tonal side of things for the sort of money they tend to go for. there may be a reason it's so much cheaper than usual though - i suggest you find out more information about that particular guitar rather than finding out what model it is and what year it was made. but of course more pictures will probably help you find out a lot more about what condition its in etc.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
^i don't think they made melody makers in the '70s or '80s.

2 Melody Maker (1971-1972)
3 Melody Maker (1977-1983)
4 Melody Maker (1986-1988)
5 Melody Maker Flyer/Pro II (1987-1992)
6 All American II
7 Les Paul Melody Maker
8 2007 Melody Maker
9 2008 Joan Jett Signature Model
10 2011 Melody Maker

Yea they did..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
2 Melody Maker (1971-1972)
3 Melody Maker (1977-1983)
4 Melody Maker (1986-1988)
5 Melody Maker Flyer/Pro II (1987-1992)
6 All American II
7 Les Paul Melody Maker
8 2007 Melody Maker
9 2008 Joan Jett Signature Model
10 2011 Melody Maker

Yea they did..

perhaps i should've rephrased that to "melody makers like that". the '70s and '80s melody makers were either single-cutaway or a kinda different double cutaway shape - subtle from a distance but different nonetheless. the only reissue that's available not that's the same shape is the joan jett sig. if that's a genuine melody maker it can only be a mid '60s melody maker.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I did some more research on the 60s Melody Makers. So the one I'm looking at is a cherry one so its from 63 - 65. I figure I can switch the pickups out if I don't like it but of course keep the originals. Well anyway that is all in till I hear from musicgoround.

EDIT : I looked at the picture again and it seems like there use to be a bridge/trem bar. So that is one reason it could be so low priced.
Last edited by Radtastic89 at Nov 30, 2011,
Alright guys they just sent me the pictures and well lets just say "its a diamond in the rough."

Story

Breaks, headstock reglue. Cracks, hundreds in the finish, one on the
> headstock. Repairs, many. Neck straight? yes, Frets, replaced, good,
> slight
> wear.. This is a great player's guitar. When we took it in, it was in
> really tough shape, but it was a "diamond in the rough", so we bought it
> and
> gave it several hundred dollars of love. There's a young guy playing it
> right now, it sounds fantastic. It has strat pickups and an Epiphone
> replacement bridge. The old mahogeny really sings.
>
> The old bridge had three screws, so there are three plugged holes.

Pictures

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/Nickynick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_4381.jpg

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/Nickynick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_4382.jpg

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/Nickynick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_4380.jpg

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/Nickynick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_4379.jpg

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/Nickynick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_4378.jpg

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/Nickynick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_4377.jpg

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/Nickynick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_4376.jpg

I need to know what you guys think of this guitar and is it worth fixing up.

Would you buy it ?
I have to say, that looks pretty damn beat up.
If you can find proof that it's from the 60s and you're sure they're worth around 1400 or more, then maybe it's worth it.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I sent them an email back seeing if thats just the paint thats all cracked or the wood. Also I asked him if he could send me a S/N so I can get a date on it.

EDIT : Can anyone find me a price list of what these are going for now ? I seen them on Ebay for $1400 to $1000.
Last edited by Radtastic89 at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by Radtastic89
I sent them an email back seeing if thats just the paint thats all cracked or the wood. Also I asked him if he could send me a S/N so I can get a date on it.

EDIT : Can anyone find me a price list of what these are going for now ? I seen them on Ebay for $1400 to $1000.

the SN is the best way to know for sure.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's difficult to date Gibson's from the 60's by their serial number, I believe. It's possible, but you'll probably have to email Gibson.

To me, it's pretty obvious that it's one old ass guitar. No other finish cracks like that besides Nitro, and on top of that, it takes a really long time to get that extreme. Beautiful guitar, and for $450, I would honestly pass it up. Without the original bridge and pickups, it has little to no resale value and they're pricing that guitar to sell.

Strat pickups in a Gibson... yuck... that's just wrong. I guess, if you want to try to track down an original bridge and the original pickups, it might be worth it. But certainly not $450. Maybe $400, but the bridge and pickups will probably cost you a fair amount because people don't sell them for cheap.

In all honesty, that guitar, right now, is probably not even worth $300. What you're seeing for $1,000-$1,400 are more than likely completely original guitars, that come with a case and have much less wear.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Nov 30, 2011,
Well just got an email back and there is no Serial Number it must of been sanded off years ago said the tech.
stay away from it then it may be a melody maker that is not that old, but neglected instead.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you are going to play it buy it. If you are looking at it as an investment put your money in earth worm futures.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Of course I would play it. I would also like to have it repainted but of course keep it the same color. There are also preproduction pickups out there for it.