i am a self-taught guitar player and have been playing for 10 months now, while my fretting hand isn't perfect, i happier with it than my picking hand,I wanna try and get more accurate with my picking hand as well as get better with my alterante picking technique, as of right now i'm starting slow on the metronome and just alt picking on one string and then start moving to another and so on.

also when picking a certain arrangement of chords really fast, like in a dethklok song, i findmyself having a hard time controling the pick if i try to go really fast

any tips and adivece would be much appreciated.
Seriously, focus on acoustic styles/jamming for a month or so. I noticed a dramatic improvement in picking accuracy when I did.
My sig? Nice.
On the note of acoustic styles and jamming, I noticed dramatic improvements in my own picking after learning to keep my picking hand freely swinging, that is, moving as if its strumming even when alternate picking. Same motions, smaller distance.
I'm so glad that I'm not alone on this.

I'm a newbie who's playing for only a couple of weeks, and everywhere I look everyone is just talking about fretting hand, so I though I'm the only one who's THAT stupid to not be so accurate with picking. As soon as I go faster, I don't have time to watch my fretting hand as I have to watch which string I'm picking.

What is acoustic styles/jamming? I'd love to do that as well, just not sure what that means. Lol, sorry.
It took me a long time to learn to play acoustic because it's such a different style than electric. When I say "acoustic style/jamming" basically I mean learn to play acoustic. If you can play with only three chords chords and keep it interesting and sounding good for over a minute, I guess, is what I mean by jamming. Acoustic makes you pay attention and focus on sublteties(?), which will help you LOADS when it comes to electric. If you only play chords you know really well, you're going to be able to pay more attention to strumming.
And for me, the biggest trick is to just... go. Don't think about what you're doing, just let it flow. And keep your arm loosey-goosey. Sorry for the wall-o-text.
My sig? Nice.
Last edited by BurningTurkey at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by ironfather0
i am a self-taught guitar player and have been playing for 10 months now, while my fretting hand isn't perfect, i happier with it than my picking hand,I wanna try and get more accurate with my picking hand as well as get better with my alterante picking technique, as of right now i'm starting slow on the metronome and just alt picking on one string and then start moving to another and so on.

also when picking a certain arrangement of chords really fast, like in a dethklok song, i findmyself having a hard time controling the pick if i try to go really fast

you are on the right track, practice on each string to get used to all the different tensions.. it is ok if you start with big movements, reduce the movement gradually, always keep your arm relaxed, dont anchor.. practice a lot!
when you get comfortable with tremolo picking, start working n adjacent strings, when you get comfortable with it, start workin on non adjacent strings.. by then you should start feeling comfortable.. should take around 1 year of everyday practice to really start to feel like youre "getting it down"

Good luck
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
thanks for the replies everyone i will keep it up and start playing on the acoustic my friend lent me, now as far as electric guitar goes i know i'm probably getting ahead of my self trying to learn some complex dethklok songs after only 10 months of playing, but i just wanna try and describe this problem, when i try playing this specific riff fast i find my pick really loosing place in my hand

e----------------------------------------------------------------
b------------------------------------------------------------
g-----------9----9-------9--------9-----9----9-------------------
d-----------9----9-------7--------8-----8----8------------------
a-----------7-7--7-- 7--7-7-7---7-7--7-7--7--7--7----------------------
e--------------0------0-----0-0-----0-----0------0--0----------------

and here is the song, the tab above is for like the very first riff or something like that

its played at a pretty good speed too and find it hard to pick that many strings at a high speed
Quote by ironfather0
thanks for the replies everyone i will keep it up and start playing on the acoustic my friend lent me, now as far as electric guitar goes i know i'm probably getting ahead of my self trying to learn some complex dethklok songs after only 10 months of playing, but i just wanna try and describe this problem, when i try playing this specific riff fast i find my pick really loosing place in my hand

e----------------------------------------------------------------
b------------------------------------------------------------
g-----------9----9-------9--------9-----9----9-------------------
d-----------9----9-------7--------8-----8----8------------------
a-----------7-7--7-- 7--7-7-7---7-7--7-7--7--7--7----------------------
e--------------0------0-----0-0-----0-----0------0--0----------------

and here is the song, the tab above is for like the very first riff or something like that

its played at a pretty good speed too and find it hard to pick that many strings at a high speed

Chances are you're gripping the pick too hard - try loosening your grip and not tensing your wrist, your arm or, well, anything at all.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I grip my pick quite lightly and never drop it and rarely have problems with it moving/rotating. If you grip hard and pick hard your fingers are more likely to sweat and push the pick around, for some reason the pick just won't budge if you have a fairly loose grip on it.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 30, 2011,
ok, i just found a huge problem with my picking and i need help fixing it please, i noticed that when try to do a semi-fast gallop riff my thumb will sometimes bend in towards the pick thus moving the index finger and the pick.

what would be the best way to eliminate this, please and thanks
Quote by ironfather0

What you lack has already been identified by you so stop pushing yourself to go faster.

You need to back down and control what you do better so you can improve your accuracy and economy of motion. Generally improve what you do and how well you can control it and the speed will come on its own; it's not a skill you can practice, it's a result of your skills.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
so if i try and just slow down then i'll be able to stop my thumb from trying to bend forward the few times it does then?
Quote by ironfather0
so if i try and just slow down then i'll be able to stop my thumb from trying to bend forward the few times it does then?

That is not the problem, the problem is that you lack control, your movements are too big, you lack coordination and you're likely to be more tense than you need to be.

Sort those things out before you go any further and don't push yourself for speed that you can't do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ok thanks! the only reason why i thought that my be the problem is because when my thumb pushes towards the pick tends to move the pick a tad bit