Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, im at my wits end and need some final advice.

I play been playing electric guitar at this Nazarene church for about 4 months.. for 2 services on sunday, around 200 people the first one and 400 the second.. at first i just wanted people to play with to expand my ability and maybe get something rolling, but lately have been getting mad about alot of things... like.

- The sound guy turns me so low no one can hear my in the audience, and i cant even hear myself from the speaker that sits in front of me for me to hear.. And this happens ALL the time even when i tell him i cant hear my self. I feel like im just up there to look like the modern rock and roll guitar guy that each church has to have to relate to the guys around my age not going to church.

- They got 2 acoustic guitar players... both which the sound guy turns up loud and one of the reasons i cant hear myself on stage with them playing. alot of the band shows favoritism towards these 2 guys... When in reality , im all across the fret board picking and choosing precise notes to play, when they are stuck in open position

- No one talks to me... sometimes the old guys, but more the half the band is made up of people 16-19 and honestly they joke around so much to the point where they look like girls playing around, giggling and all that

- I honestly cant get into the music, and for the first time last sunday i felt embarrassed to actually be up there... playing what i call camp fire songs with all the acoustic guitars, and wanna be rock beats from the drummer... And to the couple of Church hymms they have me wanting to sleep.

I feel like there is much more for me out there , and i feel like it isnt the place for me.. What are your guys opinions on this... should i go in this Sunday and tell them bye?

thanks again
-
Last edited by Jmccorkle1222 at Nov 29, 2011,
Leave the band. Simple.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Its not that easy when i love worshiping the lord and i do wanna play guitar with others!

Its not that simple to me man...
just... don't play at the church? I mean, if you quit you're still allowed to go and worship, right? I think that's how churches work. Just play guitar with people who are way cooler than church folk.
My sig? Nice.
1- Tell them that you need to be heard or theres no point in you playing.
3- Talk to the other guys, relate to them.
4 - If you dont like the music than stop playing it or suck it up and get used to it.
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
Sounds like you're taking this whole thing too seriously. I mean, come on... it's a church band, not some elite ensemble. And, like the first guy said, you could always quit.
Quote by kaos572
1- Tell them that you need to be heard or theres no point in you playing.
2- ???
3 - Profit

Fixed
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
We had this problem when I was in high school. Both of our sound guys were drummers (go figure :P) and could not do sound for anything. What you have to do is wait til the sound guy sets the levels and then just crank the living crap out of your amp. You'll be heard. Trust me.
We need Van Hammersmith back for this
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Quote by ned216
Leave the band. Simple.

I know you think it's not that simple, but it is. Let me explain before you stop reading.

You can still worship God as you wish, but you can find another band. If you really are all over the fretboard, and no one is talking to you, the sound guy is turning you down, etc., then they probably ARE using you as the modern rock guy to relate to everyone your age. It sounds like the band doesn't need you, and you don't need them. So leave. There are great opportunities out there in any decent size town, and remember you can still go to church as you please! :P

Hope that helps.
I'll give you my take on this. I play in my church band on Sunday's and Wednesdays (Sunday's for main church, Wednesday for High School church). And over the time I've been in these two groups I've learned a lot. Worship music is very hard to perfect and make everyone happy. If you gear it towards the older group with the old hymns and piano based songs, the younger generation gets bored. If the songs are more contemporary with rock elements, the older generation complains it's not like the old days. So you kinda just have to roll with the song choices sometimes. You may not like all of them, but o well.

Now keeping that in mind I also quickly learned that playing lead guitar in a church band is totally different. Noone comes to a service expecting to be blown away by shredding, or fast picking, and most people don't want it either. The focus is on God and you should try to keep it that way. I remember our leader told us something along the lines of "Our job isn't to take the spotlight, but to provide an environment for worship." You almost want to disappear, because the focus isn't on you. And less is definitely more in this type of setting. And about the sound just talk to the sound guy in private, or whoever the leader is, they probably won't just ignore you.
Where's Waldo..?

Quote by Zelos45
I know you think it's not that simple, but it is. Let me explain before you stop reading.

You can still worship God as you wish, but you can find another band. If you really are all over the fretboard, and no one is talking to you, the sound guy is turning you down, etc., then they probably ARE using you as the modern rock guy to relate to everyone your age. It sounds like the band doesn't need you, and you don't need them. So leave. There are great opportunities out there in any decent size town, and remember you can still go to church as you please! :P

Hope that helps.

Thanks man, This is the last sunday i will play, im going to do what the guy above u said, and let the sound guy set all the levels, then turn my guitar volumn up so its real. Then i will try to find another band. Thanks for all your help guys!
I play for a church as well (a more old school, conservative church at that), and likewise, they don't like heavy loud distorted guitar sounds. The sound guy also always turns me down and people always complain that I'm too loud. So I have reworked my position in the band: the keyboard and acoustic guitars make the song and I'm just in the background doodling on my guitar with a lot of heavy delay and reverb (think ambient-style music, U2/Edge-like). Things are working well now and people love the chemistry between the band - our teamwork helps them get into the whole "worship" thing, and in the end, you're playing for God and to help people get closer to God (you have to appeal to your audience, so to speak), and so you might have to hold back your technical ability if it's going to make the worship flow smoother (it's a lot easier for people to praise and worship to a few simple open chords than it is for them to praise and worship to an elaborate guitar solo, even if the guitar solo is technically "better"). You can't really criticize the other guitar players for playing in the open position if they're playing worship songs on acoustic guitars, and that kind of attitude shouldn't be the kind of attitude to have in this situation (although egos do clash even in church - the drummer and I go at it every now and then because he wants to play the drums like its a lead guitar). I'm not trying to be a jerk, but, again, keep in mind that you're playing for God and your attitude should try to reflect that.

I'm assuming that you're familiar with the whole "you're playing in church to worship God, not to be a rockstar" speech, so I won't lecture you on that but with that in mind, don't take the musical aspect of church music so heavily; have fun, be playful, and love what you do and who you do it with... if you don't really feel like that, then maybe this isn't the best place for you to practice playing. Like one of the guys above said, it's just a "church band." The acoustic guitar tends to lend itself much more for church music, and unless you're playing exclusively for a youth group, I doubt you'll be playing though a cranked amp. Our band director always told us "none of us are classically trained, none of us are professionals, none of us are paid to play; if you want to play in the worship team, you do it not because you're good or you have to, but because we love God and we love music."

At this point, you can either:
A) humble yourself, refocus on the purpose of your playing, talk to people and make things work
B) quit the band - you don't have to be in a band to go to church, and you can play and worship in your own room if you truly feel that playing helps you spiritually
C) find a church with an active youth group that will appreciate how you play

I hope that you can resolve everything in a brotherly way =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Quote by Locca
I'll give you my take on this. I play in my church band on Sunday's and Wednesdays (Sunday's for main church, Wednesday for High School church). And over the time I've been in these two groups I've learned a lot. Worship music is very hard to perfect and make everyone happy. If you gear it towards the older group with the old hymns and piano based songs, the younger generation gets bored. If the songs are more contemporary with rock elements, the older generation complains it's not like the old days. So you kinda just have to roll with the song choices sometimes. You may not like all of them, but o well.

Now keeping that in mind I also quickly learned that playing lead guitar in a church band is totally different. Noone comes to a service expecting to be blown away by shredding, or fast picking, and most people don't want it either. The focus is on God and you should try to keep it that way. I remember our leader told us something along the lines of "Our job isn't to take the spotlight, but to provide an environment for worship." You almost want to disappear, because the focus isn't on you. And less is definitely more in this type of setting. And about the sound just talk to the sound guy in private, or whoever the leader is, they probably won't just ignore you.

When i play solos i wanna display the talent and the skill the lord has blessed his Servants with... why play with little skill, when i should play with all my skill for the lord
Last edited by Jmccorkle1222 at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
When i play solos i wanna display the talent and the skill the lord has blessed his Servants with... why play with little skill, when i should play with all my skill for the lord

Well I mean it doesn't mean you cant play your best. I'm not saying that at all. But a more chill solo with a lot less notes helps set the mood better for what you're really trying to accomplish. In my opinion this setting is not the place to show off your skills, but that's just the way I've always thought.
Where's Waldo..?

Quote by Jmccorkle1222
Thanks man, This is the last sunday i will play, im going to do what the guy above u said, and let the sound guy set all the levels, then turn my guitar volumn up so its real. Then i will try to find another band. Thanks for all your help guys!

and then he will turn you down further...

If he is experienced with the sound board, and doing the sound board for bands in a live setting, he probably knows what he's doing.

Another thing, when I was in worship band, we went to a conference, and all of us in the worship band knew the lesson being taught, but it was still good to hear: YOU ARE NOT AN ENTERTAINER, YOU ARE THERE TO LEAD PEOPLE TO THE LORD.

With that being said, you should worry less about being able to hear yourself, and "show off" (at least thats what I think is happening...) and be more about jesus.

Another thing... Three guitars? really? Im assuming there is also a bass? Damn, thats alot of guitars... We only had two guitars, and me on bass...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I dont wanna show off man, its just sometimes i dont know how my bends are sounding and what i auctually sound through the PA system cause he does have me turned up on the house PA and my little speak thats infront of me
first off, its called a monitor,
secondly, are you playing chords at the same time as the other two?

Quote by liampje
no why play chords when u got 2 acoustics playing the chords already lol, i play single notes withen the scale on the chord that's being played, use arpeggios, and other lead skills
I think your over doing it and the sound guy knows that, and im speaking from experience. We played a song once and i did some funky stuff on the bass, people liked that. But they changed their minds when I played slap. Somethings just don't belong in church music, whether its hymns or christian rock...

But with that in mind, its going to be hard finding your place with two other guitars, in christian rock.

Quote by liampje
What about one of my fav bands, Stryper? They are all christian, and thats the style of music i play... Who says what church music should or shouldn't be?
Quote by Jmccorkle1222
What about one of my fav bands, Stryper? They are all christian, and thats the style of music i play... Who says what church music should or shouldn't be?

Well, is that what you are playing/supposed to be playing at your church? or are you playing hymns?
Have ppl at the audience complained that they can't hear you, or it's just you that can't hear yourself?

If it's the later, the solution is pretty simple: walk to the sound guy and say "hey, I can't hear myself play, can I get a little more guitar on my monitor?"
Quote by mrkeka
Well, is that what you are playing/supposed to be playing at your church? or are you playing hymns?
Have ppl at the audience complained that they can't hear you, or it's just you that can't hear yourself?

If it's the later, the solution is pretty simple: walk to the sound guy and say "hey, I can't hear myself play, can I get a little more guitar on my monitor?"

ive been saying turn it up for the past 3 months, and any family i have come out and my buddy that also plays guitar live came out and all said they cant hear me. and why compromise on the music i feel from my heart? ive been trying to incorporate it into the music the best i can. Heck i even turn it down and play blues lead just to help the older people get into it. how much can 1 person give up?
ever heard of being a professional musician? you are not gonna be playing what you like/love/want all the time... sometimes you gotta compromise... it's not about you, or about the people who hear you... if the sound guy/music director/preacher/whoever thinks what you are doing isn't going with the rest of the band, you either adapt or get out...
you said worshipping was the most important part of it for you, maybe you are losing sight of why you are doing it
Quote by mrkeka
ever heard of being a professional musician? you are not gonna be playing what you like/love/want all the time... sometimes you gotta compromise... it's not about you, or about the people who hear you... if the sound guy/music director/preacher/whoever thinks what you are doing isn't going with the rest of the band, you either adapt or get out...
you said worshipping was the most important part of it for you, maybe you are losing sight of why you are doing it

I said i compromise and try to play laid back blues solos.. instead of metal/rock solos... and if the sound guy didnt like it so much wouldnt he tell me instead of playing god himself with the music and turning up what he likes and turning down what he doesnt?

Honestly im starting to think playing at a church is too much of a head ache
ok, but laid black blues solo's arent christian rock, at least not the christian rock im familiar with (and im not a fan of it, I cant stand it at all, so i may be wrong.) and if your soloing, the sound guy might be thinking your taking away from what this really is: worship.

Quote by liampje
It really depends upon your attitude.

Are you up there to serve God using your gifts or yourself?

When I equip and train people involved with worship, in their churches (One facet of what I do as a teacher, both online and in person, or when a church calls me to come consult and work with their worship leaders/staff, etc) I point that the worship minister is an archetype of the Levite priests in the Old Testament, preparing the hearts of the people for God to meet with them.

Part of being in worship, is the notion of service. Service involves humility and being teachable. If I were talking with you, I'd say the rest doesn't matter of your hearts not in the right place. The service in church is a different mindset than the guy that steps on stage in a rock band. Your agenda should be to be a vessel and be used for something bigger than yourself.

If you don't have that core idea down, nothing else matters.

Once you have that down, understand that this means that you have no control over the results. Youre there to be available and to be used. There are scriptures that describe that service as being poured out like good wine, as if it were being poured on the ground. Youd think good wine should always be drank, but there are many cases where the supernatural emptying of yourself and your agenda is what releases things that are beyond your control. Be available, be faithful and be teachable and humble. You arent responsible for the results of the sound guy and his mix. If your part is small and no one hears, and the sound man likes it, live with it, because its how it comes across as a whole. If people dont like it, they will speak up.

Perhaps, its also a case of your ability? Rather than call you out for immature playing, they softly drop you in the mix. Its been known to happen. If you are serving are you willing to do it even if no one hears you? Or will you quit. Think about that one for a while. Perhaps going to the sound guy and asking what his thoughts are about the guitars, and are you too loud, should you be doing something else, will be the key. Don't go up there and accuse or confront, just advise that its hard to hear yourself, and does he have any suggestions?

Best,

Sean

Quote by Jmccorkle1222
Hey guys, im at my wits end and need some final advice.

I play been playing electric guitar at this Nazarene church for about 4 months.. for 2 services on sunday, around 200 people the first one and 400 the second.. at first i just wanted people to play with to expand my ability and maybe get something rolling, but lately have been getting mad about alot of things... like.

- The sound guy turns me so low no one can hear my in the audience, and i cant even hear myself from the speaker that sits in front of me for me to hear.. And this happens ALL the time even when i tell him i cant hear my self. I feel like im just up there to look like the modern rock and roll guitar guy that each church has to have to relate to the guys around my age not going to church.

- They got 2 acoustic guitar players... both which the sound guy turns up loud and one of the reasons i cant hear myself on stage with them playing. alot of the band shows favoritism towards these 2 guys... When in reality , im all across the fret board picking and choosing precise notes to play, when they are stuck in open position

- No one talks to me... sometimes the old guys, but more the half the band is made up of people 16-19 and honestly they joke around so much to the point where they look like girls playing around, giggling and all that

- I honestly cant get into the music, and for the first time last sunday i felt embarrassed to actually be up there... playing what i call camp fire songs with all the acoustic guitars, and wanna be rock beats from the drummer... And to the couple of Church hymms they have me wanting to sleep.

I feel like there is much more for me out there , and i feel like it isnt the place for me.. What are your guys opinions on this... should i go in this Sunday and tell them bye?

thanks again
-
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 1, 2011,
Nope, church worship bands perform traditional hymns and modern worship songs (there are a few prolific writers/performers of this stuff that seem to make up lot of the modern repertoire), not original material. The congregation needs to be able to sing along.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by Grimnak27
There is your problem.

Try not to be a dick in future posts.

This isnt The Pit. There is a religion thread there if you wanna troll people about that stuff. This subforum is for helping people with musical problems- if you're not doing that then you're spamming, and that'll get you banned. Especially if what you are posting is potentially offensive.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by Grimnak27
trolololol

Quote by liampje
Seriously man, the point is to worship God. I play at my church too. I honestly could care less if people can hear me. Playing up there just a way that I connect with God.

Start a ROCK band if you want to show off with your inflated ego, don't join a churches worship band. Thats not where an ego should be.
This post kind of confuses me (or I'm too drunk). Of course, I'm agnostic or a really bad catholic (take your pick) and haven't been in a church since my wedding.

Anyway, I have a couple questions. Wouldn't church/gospel songs have structured melodies that you should be playing?

Twiddling around with improve blues solos doesn't makes any sense to me. "Yay Jesus!" and "Wah waaah wah waahh wah" (guitar singing blues ) I don't think really fits together.

Also, what do you think they intended for you to do when they asked you to play in the band? What role are you supposed to fill? I'm sure they have provided you with the music you are supposed to be playing. Are you not sticking to the sheet music?

Why not just ask them what they want from you and try to provide that?
Really guys? Its been two weeks since the TS last responded... Why must we necro this?

Quote by liampje
Page 1 of 2