The story...

I plugged in my Art tube pre with the power cable used for my m-audio keyboard. Both the pre and keyboard appeared to need a 9 volt powercable. When I plugged the pre in, the light came on and everything seemed to work fine. When I went to plug the mic into the corresponding input, I heard a loud CRACK. I looked over at the pre and there was a small tail of smoke comming out of it. I quickly unplugged the pre and let it cool down.

So these are some things I think may have caused the burn out...

1. Used a power cable not designed for the pre
2. Maybe had the input/output levels too high and didnt notice before i plugged the mic in
3. Should have plugged the pre in AFTER everything was connected

Any ideas?
I don't have experience with that particular model, but the tube compressor they make seems to blow fuses without warning. I'd start there.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Max-Roach

I plugged in my Art tube pre with the......

that's your problem right there

There are too many variables but I'm assuming it was the 9v power cable. I guess I would try to find the original. If you can't find that, buy a replacement.
Find original power supply
Replace tube
Replace Fuse
Give me $20
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Find original power supply
Replace tube
Replace Fuse
Give me $20

Hah! Might as well just buy another
I'm guessing it was not just a standard, generic AC cord that looked like this?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The Art Tube Pre uses a 9V AC adapter. Keyboards and most other things that use these kind of adapters are DC.

Usually, getting it the other way round (AC into a DC socket) would be much more likely to cause damage, but if you saw smoke I'd take that as a clear indication it's fried (if it was just a little puff of smoke that could have been the fuse though). Open it up and have a look inside, tell us what you see.
Unless you're very good with electronics, a repair it would be uneconomical.
in other words - chuck it bud. I fried loads of things but it all added to my education of what not to do. It sucks I know.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
in other words - chuck it bud. I fried loads of things but it all added to my education of what not to do. It sucks I know.

With you there man.

Every musician remembers the first time they discovered there's more than one '9 volts'....in my case it was a cheap digital delay pedal...