So, I recently joined one of my friends bands, and they do technical death metal stuff and play in drop B tuning, but I have a 7 string. I honestly have no idea how I should go about tuning it. Any tips would be great!

EDIT: If this is the wrong section to post this in I apologize, I wasn't 100% sure which category a tuning question would fit in.
Last edited by BlueFuzion101 at Nov 30, 2011,
BF#BEG#C#F# - Probably with 9s or maybe an 8 for that high F#..
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Dellinger1988
BF#BEG#C#F# - Probably with 9s or maybe an 8 for that high F#..

So I'd have to use thinner gauge strings to tune it up?
Isn't standard 7 string tuning BEADGBE?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by BlueFuzion101
So I'd have to use thinner gauge strings to tune it up?

You wouldn't have to, it's an option though.

Basically you have a selection of choices:

Tune up to match the 6 string tuning exactly plus a higher string: B, F#, B, E, G#, C#, F#
Tune up to 7 string drop B: B, F#, B, E, A, C#, F#
Tune down to B on the 6 string side and tune the 7th down appropriately: F#, B, F#, B, E G#, C#
Double up the higher string Deftones style: B, F#, B, E, G#, C#, C#
Double up the lower string: B, B, F#, B, E, G#, C#.

What you do in terms of strings is entirely down to taste but for reference you should be able to get an 8 gauge string up to F# and not have many problems but if you want anything smaller you'll have to go to www.octave4plus.com and get something made.

Personally I'd go with the tune up to match the 6 and then have an extra high string option but that would just be to keep the tunings as close to identical as possible to make playing with the other person easier.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
Isn't standard 7 string tuning BEADGBE?

Yes but if the drop B tuning is used well then that just won't work for what they're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes but if the drop B tuning is used well then that just won't work for what they're doing.

..Why not? He's low enough to have the same note.
I'm in a band where the other guitarist plays in drop C and I play in C standard.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
There's no reason to not just use standard 7 string tuning, B Standard. The fact that one of you plays in B standard and the other plays in Drop B makes no difference. You can both hit the exact same lowest note, you can both play in the same key at the same octave. You simply have the added benefit of having an extra high string and being able to use more traditional chord shapes, if you so wish.

I use 7 strings and the other guitarist in my band plays in Drop C#. Really doesn't matter. So long as you're in tune and in the right key you're fine.
If it's tech death, then he probably can't play the riffs, which are typically really fast power chords that you pretty much have to be drop tuned to be able to play. You just can't move a power chord in standard fast enough.
tune half a step up except the low string
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by jthm_guitarist
..Why not? He's low enough to have the same note.
I'm in a band where the other guitarist plays in drop C and I play in C standard.

So what does he do if there's a riff with a lot of wide interval jumps, sliding chords and a pedal note on the open second or third strings? A hammer on from any open string apart from the low B to something above the 6th fret? A very wide stretch chord with a root on the low B?

These things, and others, must be accounted for and they would require the drop B tuning.

Why are you people so averse to tuning some of the guitar up? You don't lose anything, if you do it right you still have the extended range that the 7 string gives.

Quote by EspTro
tune half a step up except the low string

You mean a whole step, right?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

You mean a whole step, right?

no, i mean a half step. drop b is BF#BEG#C#F#

Drop B on a 6 string is a half step down from drop C and on a 7 it would be a half step above E standard. im just not sure what note the high e would be
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
no, i mean a half step. drop b is BF#BEG#C#F#

Drop B on a 6 string is a half step down from drop C and on a 7 it would be a half step above E standard. im just not sure what note the high e would be

... So how is F# a half step away from E? Is B a half step away from A now or are you just wrong?

If you're going for drop B and you're tuning the top 6 up you need to go up a whole step. You can try to argue but you're not going to change that.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I vote on doubling the low B. No matter what you do though. It's going to be a bit odd. If you want to incorporate some 7 string madness into the songs then your best bet is doubling the low B, or tuning it like an 8 string. If the 7'th string is just a pain now that your with six stringers and you just want it out of the way, then double up the high E.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
... So how is F# a half step away from E? Is B a half step away from A now or are you just wrong?

If you're going for drop B and you're tuning the top 6 up you need to go up a whole step. You can try to argue but you're not going to change that.

whoops.....totally forgot about flats -_-

im getting my 6 and 7 tunings mixed up

sowwy
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED