Page 1 of 3
S'all in the titles, duders.

I'm starting to have a problem with procrastination. I mean, yeah, I have had it since I was a kid, but it's real bad now. This monday I had a research paper due. It had to be 6 pages at least, with at least 6 sources cited. I didn't even start it until sunday night around 11:30 p.m. with none of my sources ready or anything. Surprisingly enough it came out pretty damn good though.

Then I have a 2,400-2,600 word essay due tomorrow at 8 in the morning, and I didn't start that until 10:00 p.m. tonight. It also needed 6 sources, no internet sources. Just finished it.

I am a horrible person.

How about yourself, pit? Share your horror stories.

Also, this is relevant:

i have an essay due in 1 day and 45 minutes ago that i havenT started

i also didn\t come in yesterday

im pretty terrible
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
It depends on how important something is. If I have something really important that need to be done I'll do it asap because I won't be able to relax until it's done. However if it's something trivial I'll put it off for as long as I can.
I've gotten a lot better since getting out of high school
My God, it's full of stars!
Very bad. I've had all week to notate some music for tomorrow but I chose to wait until the last minute, and some of these compositions aren't even finished. Tomorrow shall be interesting.

I procrastinate everything.
I have an 8 page short story due later today that I didn't really start until midnight. It's so horrible being simultaneously disgusted with yourself but still completely unwilling to stay motivated.
It's 8:15 am and I just finished a construction design project that was handed 2 weeks ago and is due is 2 hours, I started working on it at like 11 pm. Haven't slept in at least 30 hours.
I don't understand why other music schools/programs make people write papers. It is infuriating.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't understand why other music schools/programs make people write papers. It is infuriating.

Probably because academics/research/philosophy/understanding music from a theory point of view are as much important as playing an instrument.
I am procrastinating right now on UG, writing this post...
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Nope.

People who say nope don't go to music schools, or any other schools for that matter.
Quote by Powka
Probably because academics/research/philosophy/understanding music from a theory point of view are as much important as playing an instrument.

Understanding textbook theory is not nearly as important as actually writing or playing music. And you don't understand theory by writing words about it. I don't know any successful composer or performer before the last 50-80 years who got where they are by writing papers...

Would you rather eat from a chef who has been trying out new dishes over and over again or one who's been writing about how things would theoretically taste?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Just this afternoon I spent 2 hours procrastinating. I honestly have no idea how I spent 2 hours without doing anything.

Problem be gettin' real bad, yo.
Quote by Powka
People who say nope don't go to music schools, or any other schools for that matter.

If someone is going to school for the express purpose of learning how to play an instrument and the theory behind it, then writing papers is superfluous. If you go to school to learn how to fix a car engine they won't expect you to write papers on what a car engine is, they expect you to fix a car engine.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Understanding textbook theory is not nearly as important as actually writing or playing music. And you don't understand theory by writing words about it. I don't know any successful composer or performer before the last 50-80 years who got where they are by writing papers...

Would you rather eat from a chef who has been trying out new dishes over and over again or one who's been writing about how things would theoretically taste?

MY METAPHOR IS BETTER
Quote by Powka

Well that's simply incorrect.
Bad. Like I have 20 "hybrid hours" (Read: Time working in the greenhouse) that are due next week, and I have a total of 5 ATM, and I also have another 100 or so propagules that are also due at the same time, and I haven't even decided what plants to do for those. Then there is the notebook that I have to make for all the 300 some-odd total propagules (also due at the same time) Then I have some little shit to take care of as well, like finishing filling out this lab on lily micropropagation, and reading a chapter or 2.

I fucking hate the end of the semester.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I'm not that bad at it as long as I'm somewhat interested in what I have to do. So I'm more likely to do a lab early for engineering than I am a Java program.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Xiaoxi

Boulez?
Quote by Xiaoxi

I see where you're coming from, but you have to understand that writing papers and all that other shit is for developing everything in a future musician. Critical thinking, ability to research and to actually write stuff, philosophy is as important as any part of just playing an instrument. Sure, there are talents that grab a guitar and go for Jimmi Hendrix style, but these are exceptions.

Academics are important to develop general knowledge and, to simply put it, train the brain, that will later be of help when writing songs, composing music and just strumming on a guitar, which is also a brain enhanced mechanics. The faster your brain works, the quicker you get every technicality; and that is what academics are responsible for.

Last but not least, heads of schools want their students to be smart, intelligent and educated people. It doesn't create a good image of a person who can play a guitar on the top level, but doesn't know who the hell is Mozart. If you go to school, you are going there for EDUCATION, and that is writing papers/essays, researching, etc.

You can say the same about computer scientists and similar professionals - why do they need to write all that crap, study Uni level maths and all of that shit, when they can just do their own stuff on the computer. But could they have done it without an education in elementary school? Doubt it. After University, they become even better, and develop new skills that are being put into practice.

I'm a uni dropout myself, but I don't consider this as a good thing. I just hate studying, and practical thing is closer to my heart. I did acting for 2 years, and we had to do A LOT of academics, which pissed me off then, but now I understand how wrong I was.

On the topic of fixing cars - yes, if you're a car mechanic, no one gives a shit if you can write a paper or not, that's why you're a mechanic, but if you're constructing cars' engines, you're going for a long road of paper writing. And if you're a cleaner, you also don't need to write papers. If you're working in Burger King, you also don't need to write papers. See where I'm going there? If not, maybe you should go fix cars.
Last edited by Powka at Nov 30, 2011,
Meh, I didn't finish my table project for my web development class over Thanksgiving break, and am subsequently going to get a zero for it. Doesn't matter, I ace everything else in that class so it won't hurt my grade. I can be pretty bad with procrastination, it just depends on whether I think the assignment is important or not.
Quote by Powka
I see where you're coming from, but you have to understand that writing papers and all that other shit is for developing everything in a future musician. Critical thinking, ability to research and to actually write stuff, philosophy is as important as any part of just playing an instrument.
I understand that. But music is its own language, one that is nonverbal. But like any other language, you have to speak it constantly to internalize. To translate the structures, logic, and styles from the notes and sounds into written words does very little for musical understanding. It's not that verbal analysis has no place in music, but it has no place on this level.

Sure, there are talents that grab a guitar and go for Jimmi Hendrix style, but these are exceptions.
I assure you, successful musicians who haven't needed to write a paper are the overwhelming majority.

It doesn't create a good image of a person who can play a guitar on the top level, but doesn't know who the hell is Mozart.
But Mozart never wrote a paper. In fact, I think the most legitimate thing he wrote in words were "lick my ass."

On the topic of fixing cars - yes, if you're a car mechanic, no one gives a shit if you can write a paper or not, that's why you're a mechanic. And if you're a cleaner, you also don't need to write papers. If you're working in Burger King, you're also don't need to write papers. See where I'm going there? If not, maybe you should also fix cars.

And if I'm a musician, nobody gives a shit if I can write a paper or not. See where I'm going with this?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
awful. seven page paper due in ten and a half hours. just started.
#DTWD
I'm getting better at it. I procrastinate more on things that don't interest me.
cat
Quote by Xiaoxi
I understand that. But music is its own language, one that is nonverbal. But like any other language, you have to speak it constantly to internalize. To translate the structures, logic, and styles from the notes and sounds into written words does very little for musical understanding. It's not that verbal analysis has no place in music, but it has no place on this level.

That is why theory AND practice are both included in the education. To be a full-fledged person, you need. Yes, to be a good at playing guitar, you don't need to write a paper, but schools are preparing people who can later become MORE than just musicians - teachers, heads of music schools, producers, songwriters, composers. Schools are preparing a person for many ways in life, in case you will never want to touch an instrument ever again. After finishing music schools, some people find themselves not wanting to perform anymore, but to teach others; and to be able to successfully do this, they DO need all the education that schools provide, every little bit of philosophy, writing, research, etc. They cannot be a good and, most importantly, versatile teacher without all that, with just being able to be good with playing an instrument.

I assure you, successful musicians who haven't needed to write a paper are the overwhelming majority.

And how overwhelming that majority of "successful musicians" is against just "musicians"? I'm guessing there's far more "musicians", than "successful musicians".

But Mozart never wrote a paper. In fact, I think the most legitimate thing he wrote in words were "lick my ass."

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are also college dropouts, but that doesn't mean it's a good example. It's an exception, as is Mozart. He was a talent, that's why everyone now knows his name. Do you or anybody else can do what he could? And I don't think that if you stop writing papers, you'll be gaining some special powers that will allow you to be able to perform as the Amadeus did.

And if I'm a musician, nobody gives a shit if I can write a paper or not. See where I'm going with this?

Yes, if you're a musician, no one does. But if you only care about playing an instrument, why do you go to school? School is much more than just about playing an instrument, as I already said so above. It's about preparing a person for life in the future, for EDUCATING him, so that he won't look like an idiot when being asked who that is, when did that happen, etc.

Yes, you can be a massive talent with a little to no brain in your head, and if you want to be one of those, just grab an instrument and keep playing. That is what I mean - if you're looking to be a versatile, all-rounded person, educated, intelligent and a proper musician, you go to school, you write those ****ing papers. Then, when your fans knowing your abilities for the instrument ask you a question, you can actually answer that instead of running away from it, because if you're my music idol, I would assume that you know something about the world of great artists, history of music, etc. - and that is what those papers are about, everything related to music, in one way or another.
Quote by Powka
That is why theory AND practice are both included in the education. To be a full-fledged person, you need. Yes, to be a good at playing guitar, you don't need to write a paper, but schools are preparing people who can later become MORE than just musicians - teachers, heads of music schools, producers, songwriters, composers.
Theory is not the same thing as writing analysis papers. You don't learn how to handle counterpoint and fugues by writing essays on them. You don't learn the development of the sonata form by writing essays. You don't learn how to improvise over chord changes by writing about how Dizzie Gillespie did it. Yes, you read about these topics, but that information merely provides the background for what you need to do hands on. I am preparing to be all of those things (except for heads of music schools), and I guarantee you no essay would help in any of those categories.

They cannot be a good and, most importantly, versatile teacher without all that, with just being able to be good with playing an instrument.
I never insinuated that the only thing that matters is playing an instrument.

And how overwhelming that majority of "successful musicians" is against just "musicians"? I'm guessing there's far more "musicians", than "successful musicians".
I define a successful musician as anyone who is able to make a living from music. That ranges everyone from Palestrina to the local blues guy.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are also college dropouts, but that doesn't mean it's a good example.
Why not? They're excellent examples. Instead of wasting time with bullshit academics, they went out and actually did things.

He was a talent, that's why everyone now knows his name. Do you or anybody else can do what he could?
You say that like it's some god given gift. It's not. He got to where he is by writing and playing music from birth. He didn't waste a single second writing papers. Mendelssohn achieved the remarkable feat of writing 12-part fugues. He analyzed Bach musically and wrote a fugue every day. No words needed.

But if you only care about playing an instrument, why do you go to school? School is much more than just about playing an instrument, as I already said so above. It's about preparing a person for life in the future, for EDUCATING him, so that he won't look like an idiot when being asked who that is, when did that happen, etc.
I don't care about playing an instrument at all. I go because I'm here to learn how to be a better musician, not someone who can write good essays. I know a decent amount about music, and haven't needed to write any essays about it. Busywork gets you nowhere.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I define a successful musician as anyone who is able to make a living from music. That ranges everyone from Palestrina to the local blues guy.

YOU define it. I'm sure that majority of population would disagree, as the same goes for acting, and every other that type of profession. I'm sure that both Edward Norton and some dude doing crappy plays in local LA community theatre are good actors, but not both of them are successful.

Why not? They're excellent examples. Instead of wasting time with bullshit academics, they went out and actually did things.

Why not, is because these kind of people are the ones that you can count on your fingers. How many people drop out and did not succeed? That's right, about 99% of all drop outs.

You say that like it's some god given gift. It's not. He got to where he is by writing and playing music from birth. He didn't waste a single second writing papers. Mendelssohn achieved the remarkable feat of writing 12-part fugues. He analyzed Bach musically and wrote a fugue every day. No words needed.

It might not be God given gift, but it is a gift. If the only thing that you had to do was to start doing something, I think we would have more THAT LEVEL of legendary musicians, as I'm sure there is and has been (over centuries) loads of enthusiasts of music that did work hard, unfortunately never have gotten to the level of the likes of Mozart. You should watch film "Amadeus", where it is shown who he was, and how he did it.

I don't care about playing an instrument at all. I go because I'm here to learn how to be a better musician, not someone who can write good essays. I know a decent amount about music, and haven't needed to write any essays about it. Busywork gets you nowhere.

Exactly, to become a better musician; and that means doing more than just practical stuff. Writing essays are not for the sole purpose of getting better at writing them. To bring a simple example, is that math that you have been taught in the first grad was not so that you can spend the rest of your life adding numbers - years later you use this ability named "counting" in a lot of different fields; the same goes towards ability of writing an essay and getting better at research, acquiring knowledge in the musical field, etc.
Quote by Powka
YOU define it. I'm sure that majority of population would disagree, as the same goes for acting, and every other that type of profession. I'm sure that both Edward Norton and some dude doing crappy plays in local LA community theatre are good actors, but not both of them are successful.

Why not, is because these kind of people are the ones that you can count on your fingers. How many people drop out and did not succeed? That's right, about 99% of all drop outs.

It might not be God given gift, but it is a gift. If the only thing that you had to do was to start doing something, I think we would have more THAT LEVEL of legendary musicians, as I'm sure there is and has been (over centuries) loads of enthusiasts of music that did work hard, unfortunately never have gotten to the level of the likes of Mozart. You should watch film "Amadeus", where it is shown who he was, and how he did it.
Exactly, to become a better musician; and that means doing more than just practical stuff. Writing essays are not for the sole purpose of getting better at writing them. To bring a simple example, is that math that you have been taught in the first grad was not so that you can spend the rest of your life adding numbers - years later you use this ability named "counting" in a lot of different fields; the same goes towards ability of writing an essay and getting better at research, acquiring knowledge in the musical field, etc.

As much as i love Mozarts music, but do you realise that the movie Amadeus has lots of fiction in it.
Quote by jani92jani
As much as i love Mozarts music, but do you realise that the movie Amadeus has lots of fiction in it.

Lol, yes I do, but it still delivers the point that I'm trying to make, that he was much more talented that anyone around him who tried that much harder. I'm no musician, but I always thought that was known, that he was an irregular guy. Einstein could be a good example too, when the dude has just got much more potential naturally - he's a gifted person, that's it. It happens.

Btw, you did not need to make those letters so big and red, I do see them clearly when just quoted normally.
I had a research paper due just 9 hours ago. Finished writing it 10 hours ago. The deadline for a short story competition is in 19.5 hours. I am on UG instead of working on it. The last essay for my English class is due Friday at 12 pm, worth 25% of my overall grade. I have not started it yet.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Page 1 of 3