Hi,

Any tips on how to bargain with people that deal with used amps. How much can a obvious scar mark on a amp take off the selling price?Or does it depend on the internal hardware?

Please give me a general guide on knowing the right price of a used amp
I now have a signature
Quote by jnsw
Hi,

Any tips on how to bargain with people that deal with used amps. How much can a obvious scar mark on a amp take off the selling price?Or does it depend on the internal hardware?

Please give me a general guide on knowing the right price of a used amp

It really depends on the amp. If its an all tube genuine vintage amp thats been gigged and knocked around but is renowned for its history and sweet tone, a scar mark isn't a big deal and wouldn't knock a lot off the price Id say.

If its a MGFX and its scarred, the seller should pay you to take it.

What amp are we talking about?
Depends how bad the cosmetic damage is, and what the amp is. Vintage amps and guitars with scars can go for more money than prestine ones. Why? I have no idea

Look prices up on completed eBay listings for a general idea of its worth. Sometimes, things will generally sell higher on eBay, whereas other times, they'll sell lower, but using eBay and searching classified forums on Rig-Talk, Harmony Central, The Gear Page, Seven String, etc. should give you a good idea.

Always offer lower than you think it's worth, but not so low that it's insulting and the seller won't want to deal with you anymore. If it's an in-person sale, try to work out a price before hand. Nothing I hate more than having people come over to my house, thinking they're going to buy something for my asking price, and then having them lowball me on a perfectly good piece of equipment. If there's an issue that wasn't brought up in the ad or your previous conversations, sure, make a counter offer when you get there and try it out, but I often turn people away without even countering their offer if they have the audacity to waste my time with a lowball offer. That may have been how it was done before the internet, but that doesn't fly with me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hmm im just generally talking about any kind of used amps. But now im looking at a used modern german boutique amps yea no vintages for me.
I now have a signature
Last edited by jnsw at Nov 30, 2011,
What you need is haggling training.
Do you have yard sales (garage sales, estate sales and such) where you live?
Go often.
Flea markets and swap meets are good for that too.
Probably the best way to sharpen your haggling skills.
Go with a woman (in my experience, during yard sale season, they seem to have a natural haggling ability).

I bought a belt about 15 years ago at a yard sale. I paid $1 for it. It was marked at $7.50. And I'm wearing it right now.
I also got a $1000 printer for $20 (was actually marked at $100).
Haggling got me those deals and many many others over the years.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by CodeMonk
Go often.
Go with a woman (in my experience, during yard sale season, they seem to have a natural haggling ability).

I bought a belt about 15 years ago at a yard sale. I paid $1 for it. It was marked at $7.50. And I'm wearing it right now.

The ****. Lol nothing beats experience.
I now have a signature
totally depends on where you are trying to get the amp from. private sellers are the best place to try getting a deal. money talks so first bit of advice is to do your dealing in person money in hand. don't try over the phone or e-mails as that rarely works. if you are in a store then you may not have many options. many stores don't want to dicker and may knock off a little bit but not much.

knowledge is power. try to research any amp you are interested in. for instance Peavey VTM series amps have a third channel that can only be accessed through a footswitch. if you were buying one that didn't have the foot switch that would be a bargaining point for getting a better deal. as mentioned knowing the going rate for an amp in your area helps.
Quote by CodeMonk
I bought a belt about 15 years ago at a yard sale.

Pic please!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Pic please!

+1

Quote by CodeMonk

For the sake of time, can you just take a pic of the belt, print it with the printer, then scan that image and post it?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Don't have that printer anymore. It only lasted about 2 years.

You actually want a picture of the belt...ok then...
Heres the belt...

Quote by CodeMonk

Heres the belt...

I CAEM! THAT WAS THE PRON IS WAS LOOKING FOR
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by CodeMonk

Heres the belt...

That is a sweet belt man!

Some times getting a good deal is easy, some times not.

Probably the best deal I have gotten was on my 02 PRS. I walked into the shop saw it was marked at $1995. After a bit of offer counter offer I walked out paying $1425= tax for it. last time I want to a Sam Ash, they had 2 of them hanging used and wanted $1800+ for them.

Then you have some guys on here*cough*cough* that can walk away with a MM JP for only $160ish!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

+1
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by CodeMonk
Go often.

You sir are a legend!!
Quote by Robbgnarly

Some times getting a good deal is easy, some times not.

Probably the best deal I have gotten was on my 02 PRS. I walked into the shop saw it was marked at $1995. After a bit of offer counter offer I walked out paying $1425= tax for it. last time I want to a Sam Ash, they had 2 of them hanging used and wanted $1800+ for them.

Then you have some guys on here*cough*cough* that can walk away with a MM JP for only $160ish!

MM JP ? no way
I now have a signature
The trick to haggling is this; you don't want it. You don't need it, you're not sure of its quality and you probably shouldn't spend the money anyway. As long as that is your attitude you will do fine.

Of course sometimes you do need it, are certain of its quality and do have the cash... That's fine, just don't let the salesman find out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I usually just come out and ask what they "need" for it - what's their bottom dollar........ if it's more than I want to spend, I walk, whether it's a dealer. private sale, pawn shop, etc. I tend to avoid auctions - in my experience, stuff usually gets bid up above what I'm willing to pay, sometimes for even more than it's value.
If you can find what you need at a pawn shop, they have a lot of room to deal with you - usually low-ball some baby-daddy wannabe rocker who need the cash for rent and diapers. I bought a pristine MIM strat, sunburst with figured wood grain for $275.
Golden rule: If buying you don't want it. If selling you don't want to part with it.
Transfer the pressure onto the other party. If you don't seem particularly interested you make him work to make the sale go through which which means a better price for you. If he thinks you really want the sale to go through then you've lost the upper hand in the negotiations and he'll hold his ground. Make him work for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification