So, i've decided to get a bass as a gift this Christmas. I'm primarily a guitarist (and I'm not a guitarist that thinks bass is easier to play, but anyway) and I was wondering if I could use my boss DS-2 pedal (not the best, I know) with my bass, running it: bass guitar -> DS-2 -> amp.

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but it was just an idea .

Cheers guys.
You could use it with your bass rig, but it would most likely remove a lot of the low end. There is no harm in using a guitar distortion pedal with bass, but some just don't like the loss in low end frequencies you get from many of these pedals.

Also, just one more thing: If you are planning on getting a bass for christmas, don't run it through a guitar cabinet/combo. The low frequencies will most likely blow your speakers.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
I'm sure it would work, but it won't sound good. It probably wouldn't damage the pedal, but you never know. Do you really need that much distortion on a bass? And you aren't considering running it through a guitar amp are you?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
I'm sure it would work, but it won't sound good. It probably wouldn't damage the pedal, but you never know. Do you really need that much distortion on a bass? And you aren't considering running it through a guitar amp are you?

Why repeat verbatim what the other guy said?
Don't worry guys, I'm getting my hands on a bass amp too and thanks for the replies, 'twas just an idea.
I used a DS-1 for bass for a while, and TBH it's not that great. It's on my bro's guitar pedalboard right now. I'd assume the DS-2 would be similar.

Also, if you're gonna buy a bass dirt pedal, try them out first. I really didn't like the ODB-3, but the MXR blowtorch sounded amazing to my ears.
Most bass players use an over drive, or a fuzz pedal. They both fit in the dirt family along with distortion but seem to be chosen more.

Typically if one would be used full time it would be overdrive, then maybe fuzz. Now Krist Novoselic of Nirvana used for sure a Proco Rat, and I think a ds-1 at times maybe even a ds-2 (that band didn't use many pedals, and use the same ones) for songs such as Breed. In heavy punk songs, especially in power trios it works on occasion like that song, because they both play the same riff, but when Kurt goes off, the low end and the dirt are still there keeping it sounding the same.

Overdrive, gives a little dirt and boost, and is "reminiscent" of a tube amps clipping.
Fuzz is just a hard, but I feel lie less gain style clipping I think that cuts both sides of the sine signal (your guitars *noise*) and lends to a very chunky well fuzzy sound that squashes the mids and gives a more bass friendly tone.

IMO, any pedal will work on anything, but you need a good EQ section somewhere to make most sound good. Distortion especially because it sounds very ratty very easy.
I've used the DS-1 for bass, and it basically makes it sound like a guitar; I could swear it was raising my parts up a full octave. I'd advise getting a pedal that's meant for bass. That being said, some pedals will still work the same; for example, I have a guitar delay pedal that I use with my bass, and I love it.
check out Al Cisneros from OM.He uses a boss DS-1,and he could blow a house down without so much as a huff and a puff.I personally use a boss DS-2 cascaded into a big muff for my main bass sound.However,if you are using guitar distortion pedals,it's almost essential to bi-amp or run a blend.Basically,what you would want to is to run two signals.One with distortion on it,one without,that way you retain the essential lows.
But that said,if your just gonna be noodling away in your room,or jamming with a couple mates,it won't matter at all about 't3h so0pr3me t0n3z' and a bass isn't the end of the world.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.