So I know that sonatas are usually 3 movement pieces, but can anyone help me here?

Is the first movement the exposition [2nd is development etc], or is the first movement entirely in sonata form?

I've always thought the first movement was in sonata form, but I just need someone to clarify.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
there is a difference between sonata and sonata form...

Sonata is a musical work multiple parts

Sonata form is a musical structure, generally used as a first movement, like you said... for example, the first movement of Eine Kleine, by Mozart
^Winner. Sonatas are pieces in multiple movements for solo instruments and sonata form can be used to describe, in whole or in part, the form of virtually every first movement of every piece in the Classical period and beyond. In fact, it was initially called first movement form, not sonata form.
and my limited understanding is that the form version is broken up into three parts, not movements.

But i claim no expertise.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Just so you guys can get a bit of my understanding, here is what I know about sonatas and sonata form.

- Three movements.
- The first is usually in sonata form.
- Sonata form has three sections - an exposition, a development and a recapitulation. I think this is what Vampire was trying to say.
- The exposition has a principle subject, a bridge passage, a second subject and a closing subject. The exposition ends in a different key, usually the dominant.
- The development is more free and key changes are used.
- The recapitulation is the same thing as the exposition, except everything is repeated on the home key. There is no modulation.
- At the beginning, there may be a slow introduction and there may be a coda at the end.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Here is all you need to know about things regarding the word "sonata". Don't try to pidgeon-hole it like your last post, because it is too flexible.

Sonata refers to 2 different things:

1. A collection of related movements in their structure and material.
-There is no set number or order. There are certain conventions regarding them throughout various time periods, but they are not inherent specifications.
-Sonata itself usually refer to works for one or just a few instruments. Examples: flute & piano. solo viola. harp, marimba & clarinet.
-Sonatas are often known by other names: string quartets, piano trios, wind quintets, symphonies (full orchestra), etc all use the concept of a sonata.

2. A form of a piece that is basically a large ternary: A B A'
-there is an exposition in which thematic materials are introduced and established
-followed by a development section in which the established material are mixed and presented in new ways and extended upon.
-a recapitulation section which closes the materials.

I used a very open and somewhat vague description because that's how flexible the sonata form truly is. What you described only applies to a conventional classical model set by Haydn, which is deviated from all the time even by Mozart. Beethoven made it a point to never stay too close to that model. And later on? Even more free.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana