Hi, newb here- sort of. I had a a Steinberger GM4t YEARS ago, and I'm wanting to pick up guitar for the first time again - some 20 years later. After much research, I have decided on the guitar i want (I'm purely a hobby guitarist- I'm never going to play gigs, this is for enjoyment only) And most likely I'm going to play at home, and bring my guitar to work to play on my "down time". (I'm a Paramedic). So here's my situation/ question: I want a travel guitar: and after A LOT of research, I have decided on a "PalmGuitar". Waaaay more expensive than the average "travel" guitar, made of injection molded polyurethane body (one piece construction). With one humbucker pup (switchable to single coil). Looks to be a rock solid guitar, uneffected by temp/humidity, and supposedly the body/neck material is made to mimic wood. This is a short scale guitar, comparable to the mini strat. I already have a Roland micro cube (got it for my son, who doesn't want it anymore). So that will be my rig. Here is my basic question: Does anyone have an opinion on the PalmGuitar? It seems to fit the bill for my very basic needs. I have looked at the Steinberger Synapse (which is not ANYTHING like the original) soley for its "stability" and lack of wood construction. The PalmGuitar is the closest thing i can find that is current production. I like the Roland cube- as it has the basic effects I would use, and seems to have good reviews. Any input would be welcomed.
what country are you in? that's going to affect prices and what's available.

i should probably add that i know nothing about travel guitars

rees in the uk does one that looks pretty nice, but i haven't tried their guitars (though they get a good rep). that might be more than you want to spend, though, and if you're not in the UK it might be hard or expensive to get them (with little viable recourse if you don't like it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The PalmGuitar is very cool except for the shorter scale. In my opinion that is the single most negative thing found in most travel guitars. If it were a full scale guitar I would tell you to knock your socks off and go for it.

Realize you're coming in and saying you've decided on which guitar you're going to get -- "Now give me input". It's sort of backwards to most threads like this.

And even though you've specifically NOT asked for it, I'm going to make a recommendation. Check out Traveler Guitars (EG-1 or EG-2). They are full scale guitars (24.75 or 25.5) and are made of real wood.

Certainly not perfect (you can find my review of the EG-1 here on UG) but perfect enough for me. I searched high and low for a traveling solution and these guys nailed it...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 30, 2011,
Hahaha, yeah, sorry I guess i did post my question kind of backwards. I'm in the US, And I guess i really wanted to ask for opinions on the PalmGuitar before i actually bought it. I have never seen one in real life, but I have done as much research as i could find, and they seem to offer refunds if its not right for me. I have looked at the Traveler guitars, and do like them also, but the selling point for the Palm was the non-wood construction- simply because this thing is gonna get dragged around, left in my work vehicle, and see weather changes frequently. I was curious as to if anyone ever played one, and what they thought of the build quality. I want to "get what i pay for" so to speak. Thanks for the input.
ah ok

yeah i'm gonna be no help at all here

good luck
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jruta
Hahaha, yeah, sorry I guess i did post my question kind of backwards. I'm in the US, And I guess i really wanted to ask for opinions on the PalmGuitar before i actually bought it. I have never seen one in real life, but I have done as much research as i could find, and they seem to offer refunds if its not right for me. I have looked at the Traveler guitars, and do like them also, but the selling point for the Palm was the non-wood construction- simply because this thing is gonna get dragged around, left in my work vehicle, and see weather changes frequently. I was curious as to if anyone ever played one, and what they thought of the build quality. I want to "get what i pay for" so to speak. Thanks for the input.

I dont have any experiance with that guitar, but with a price tag of almost $1000 I would look elsewhere
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I dont have any experiance with that guitar, but with a price tag of almost $1000 I would look elsewhere

Yup. And thats my concern. Think i'll hunt around a bit more.
Don't know if it's the look of the EG-1/2 but the playability is very good. And with the headless design you won't be knocking tuning pegs around like you will with the PalmGuitar. I'm just giving you some real-world experience here. I travel with mine all the time. I can stuff it in an overhead bin and play through it at my next airport. Tuning isn't an issue and nothing can really get batted around.

Traveler has some very odd (to me) looking designs. But the EGs seem normal enough.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native