I'm in the market for a new amp.

Budget £500-£700. Needs to be versatile, from cleans to metal but nothing too heavy, maybe megadethish at most. I'm not too fussed about any effects.

I built myself a 1x12 cab with a v30 in so i want a head really. New or used not arsed, location is near nottingham UK. Use will be for a bit of jamming and bedroom warrioring.

Advice please fellas, i have been thinking tubemeister a bit lately.
laney gh50l?

edit: do you want the head to fit on top of teh cab?

EDIT #2: shit you want cleans. laney doesn't really have cleans. who cares, get it anyway

EDIT #3: actually the new ironhearts might be worth a look. though the fact tehy have tons more features than the gh yet is cheaper makes me wary ( i haven't tried it yet).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 30, 2011,
JetCity anyone?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
It would be nice if it fit on the cab but not that important.

How about the tubemeister Richard?

Thanks for the suggestions, i will check them out.
not many things are going to fit on the cab apart from those mini-heads. no problem if one of them does exactly what you want, but you might be narrowing down your options, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vox Night TRAIN.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Quote by Lozhaze
It would be nice if it fit on the cab but not that important.

How about the tubemeister Richard?

Thanks for the suggestions, i will check them out.

Huge fan of the tubemeister's tone and versatility. And I can guarantee it'll sit on top of whatever cab is being used.

Right now I'm sending mine back to get replaced. It borked within 3 weeks of being in my house, which isn't good. I realize however that it's the first run in America (I rarely buy first-run things just because of this sort of scenario) but am still in love with this amp. I'm looking forward to my replacement and hope it was just a fluke occurrence...

But yeah, the tubemeister has one of the nicest and most surprising clean channels I've had the pleasure to play through -- and it takes pedals (at least through the FX Loop) really well.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Huge fan of the tubemeister's tone and versatility. And I can guarantee it'll sit on top of whatever cab is being used.

Right now I'm sending mine back to get replaced. It borked within 3 weeks of being in my house, which isn't good. I realize however that it's the first run in America (I rarely buy first-run things just because of this sort of scenario) but am still in love with this amp. I'm looking forward to my replacement and hope it was just a fluke occurrence...

But yeah, the tubemeister has one of the nicest and most surprising clean channels I've had the pleasure to play through -- and it takes pedals (at least through the FX Loop) really well.

It sounds like a great amp and may well be what I'm looking for. All the clips I've heard sound impressive, i hope you're replacement gets sorted ok.

There is a TransAtlantic ta15 for sale near me within budget which is tempting me now as well.
Jet City JCA22h,

You may want to try the Mesa TA first, I really didn't like it that much.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Jet City JCA22h,

You may want to try the Mesa TA first, I really didn't like it that much.

I'm going to find somewhere to try some Jet City stuff, a few people have nodded at them.

What didn't you like about the TA 15?
I like a more modern hi-gain tone from my amps. but the TA seemed like more of a blues/rock style amp.

The JCA22h sounds killer and is pretty cheap ($399USD) look up fastredponycar's demo of it on youtube.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Lozhaze
It sounds like a great amp and may well be what I'm looking for. All the clips I've heard sound impressive, i hope you're replacement gets sorted ok.

There is a TransAtlantic ta15 for sale near me within budget which is tempting me now as well.

The TA-15 was one I really wanted to get. Sadly, it doesn't have an effects loop, which is a requirement for me. It's also almost 3 times the price of the Tubemeister. I then thought I'd go for the TA-30, but at that price point I have so many options it's almost overwhelming.

The new Mesa Mini Recto is promising. However it's still quite a bit more than the Tubemeister...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Had Dave_MC not beat me to it ( ) I would suggest the Laney too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
5150 50w head!
*EDIT* reasons....forgot the reasons....

it will fit on top of the 1x12

has sparkly ass cleans to as much gain as u want

pretty sure its in the budget.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The new 5150 won't be, as we get screwed on American amps over here :P
Cornford Roadhouse gear is going awfully cheap on Andertons at the minute. Played the 30, and thought it was a really nice amp. Could probably get a new 2x12 50 watt combo for 700.. save you making a cab. Cornford combos/cab designs are some of the best too.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Thanks for all the pointers, last one for now.

Hayden Mofo or Mini Mofo worth a look?
Played the 15 watt hayden. One of those two. Really didn't like it. Fizzy and rubbish IMO.

http://music.andertons.co.uk/search?w=roadhouse&nodet=1#page-1

Head or combo would be great. Their cabs are enclosures are very good, so you'd be happy with one of their combos I reckon.

But up to you.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

over on dv247 they're having a great deal on a Bogner Alchemist - http://www.dv247.com/guitars/bogner-alchemist-hd-guitar-amp-head--50058 - I tried these I thought they were very versatile you might not get brootalz on it's own but it with get almost everything else.

I second the Ironheart - http://www.dv247.com/guitars/laney-ironheart-irt60h-guitar-valve-amplifier-head--86465 the demos sound good and it has a ton of features.

And the new Hayden series - http://www.dv247.com/guitars/hayden-hgt-a40-valve-guitar-amp-head--84502 - 3 channels, all tube, the demos sound pretty decent too.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Many thanks to everyone who offered advice, its most appreciated.

That Bogner Alchemist looks a hell of an amp for that price.
The Alchemist is a good amp (why didn't I think of that?!).
Haven't played the Ironheart, but it looks pretty decent. Would steer well clear of the Hayden stuff though. I played a 15 watt head, and a classic lead 80, and found them pretty brittle and fizzy. That's with a fair bit of volume. I'm not really a heavy player, but I wasn't impressed with the overall sound at all.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban