Hey UG

Today I bought a ESP LTD DJ600V (yeah HNGD to me!)

so after the long ass train journey to pick it up, after being set up etc... I came home and started playing only to realise a 'dead' fret (terminology maybe wrong here)

basically, the 17th fret on the high string isn't sounding right, it sounds flat and dead and more like the 18th fret on the same string, the 17th fret on all the other strings is fine and all other frets on the high e string are fine...

I rang the shop guitarguitar (epsom) who said they would happily take a look and repair the problem, I just wanted to know if you guys could shed any light onto the situation and if there was anyway I could fix the problem myself?

thanks a lot
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
seems like the fretwire MIGHT be worn, hold it up to the light and see if there's any wear on the fret.you might need to move the e string out the way or take both the e & B off altogether to check.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
seems like the fretwire MIGHT be worn, hold it up to the light and see if there's any wear on the fret.you might need to move the e string out the way or take both the e & B off altogether to check.

thanks, but if its a new guitar should this really be happening?
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
Are you sure it's new and not used? In any case ive seen weirder shit happen with out-of-the-box guitars. It's an easy fix.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
Are you sure it's new and not used? In any case ive seen weirder shit happen with out-of-the-box guitars. It's an easy fix.

its new for sure, what would be the fix? the same as the first repliers?
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
if its new, take it back or you could possibly void any waranty you have on it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by stormtrooper887
its new for sure, what would be the fix? the same as the first repliers?

Depending on what's causing it, it could just be replacing the fret, although you risk just changing the spot of the dead fret. The nut might be improperly grooved. The fret might be too small/big. The truss rod might be ever-so-slightly out of whack. Worst case scenario is that the neck has to be replaced altogether, but that's usually covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Whatever you do, dont do it yourself unless you know what you're doing.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
Depending on what's causing it, it could just be replacing the fret, although you risk just changing the spot of the dead fret. The nut might be improperly grooved. The fret might be too small/big. The truss rod might be ever-so-slightly out of whack. Worst case scenario is that the neck has to be replaced altogether, but that's usually covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Whatever you do, dont do it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

yeah I have the years warranty, I think'll just drop it back off to the shop

I tried the guitar beforehand, in which it was fine (the 17th fret) I asked them to restring and set up for me and THEN i noticed the problem

yeah i wouldnt have the slightest clue to how to fix it lol!
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300