Anyone currently using this kind of setup? I was planning on getting a cab and saving for a tube head, but there's a Peavey keyboard amp for $135 on the local CL. There's a bunch of multi-fx out there, so I'm not sure which I'd go for (Pod, Boss GT, Vox Tonelab).

Thoughts?
I'm going to be playing mostly rock/metal. Zeppelin, Soundgarden, Paul Gilbert, Between the Buried and Me, Killswitch Engage, Mastodon, Metallica, Minus the Bear, Cloudkicker, etc.

Was originally planning on getting a used XXX head and whatever cab I could find for cheap.
Last edited by TJM2482 at Nov 30, 2011,
This is my setup just now, can be really good, but a real amp will be better. But depending on your multi fx it can work really well
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
I mean, do what you've gotta do. But you might consider just getting a decent combo and cut to the chase. I don't know enough about your circumstances to comment much further -- but why do you need a head/cab solution? With your current budget does this make sense? Would a good combo serve you just as well?

You're looking at a couple different scenarios here.
  • Buy a keyboard amp. Buy a multi-FX unit. Use this combination until somewhere in the future you can buy a head & cab to replace them.
  • Buy an amp that is made for guitar (either one with FXs built in or that will play nice with an FX unit).
I just think getting a nice combo would be a better all round choice for you. There are great modelling amps out there. The latest Line6 stuff is really good. The Fender Mustang series are ridiculously good (heck, here's a little clip for you ). And the VOX VT series are also wicked cool. And there are other makers out there (I just don't have experience with them).

You could get into any of the above brands for the price of that keyboard amp and FX unit -- and you'd end up with a giggable solution, specifically designed for guitar...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
A combo would work, but if I were to upgrade to a high end head in the future I'd also need to look for a cab.

*if I were to get a combo now it'd probably be a XXX
Quote by richardlpalmer
I mean, do what you've gotta do. But you might consider just getting a decent combo and cut to the chase. I don't know enough about your circumstances to comment much further -- but why do you need a head/cab solution? With your current budget does this make sense? Would a good combo serve you just as well?

You're looking at a couple different scenarios here.
  • Buy a keyboard amp. Buy a multi-FX unit. Use this combination until somewhere in the future you can buy a head & cab to replace them.
  • Buy an amp that is made for guitar (either one with FXs built in or that will play nice with an FX unit).
I just think getting a nice combo would be a better all round choice for you. There are great modelling amps out there. The latest Line6 stuff is really good. The Fender Mustang series are ridiculously good (heck, here's a little clip for you ). And the VOX VT series are also wicked cool. And there are other makers out there (I just don't have experience with them).

You could get into any of the above brands for the price of that keyboard amp and FX unit -- and you'd end up with a giggable solution, specifically designed for guitar...

Tjere is really no difference between an amp like a VT and using an MFX with a keyboard amp both use a DSP unit to model amps and send it through a flat sounding poweramp.
Quote by TJM2482
A combo would work, but if I were to upgrade to a high end head in the future I'd also need to look for a cab.

*if I were to get a combo now it'd probably be a XXX

Yeah, but you're jumping pretty far with your prices and concern. I mean let's look at the numbers we're talking about.

You could pick up a Fender Mustang II (brand new) for $200. If/when you decide to sell it you could still get $100 out of it.

The "high end head" and cabinet is going to cost how much? A low-end Mesa is going to cost you a $1,000. Add on even a "decent" Avatar 2x12 and you're looking at another $300.

So what difference is this tiny investment of a couple hundred bucks now going to make?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Tjere is really no difference between an amp like a VT and using an MFX with a keyboard amp both use a DSP unit to model amps and send it through a flat sounding poweramp.

Fair enough. So then why not just buy a guitar amp?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I could get a 2x12 Avatar cab for $150 on my local CL if I act fast. I was debating on getting a used XXX head or a new VHT Special 6 Ultra head.
Again, do what you gotta' do.

Is that Avatar cab loaded with the speakers you like? And do those speakers match well with the XXX or VHT Special 6?

It just seems like you're all over the map here, man. You're debating on a $135 keyboard amp before you even own an FX unit -- and then talking about a thousand dollar head/cab solution in the next sentence.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish right now? What is your budget TODAY? Is it likely in the next couple of months you'll have the dough for the head/cab?

My comments were directed at you considering a $135 amp and an effects unit as your budget. I was guestimating $100 for a used FX unit and an overall budget of around $250. I stand by the suggestion -- get as nice of a combo as you can right now and sell it later when you're ready to buy the head/cab.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Just went to my local CL and did a search for "amp". These are the first few that came up in the price range I'm estimating (based on what you've said so far). Check out what you can get.
I mean the third one down would probably be perfect for you! It has plenty of loudness, is a good modelling amp (Line6's Flextone stuff is fine) and even comes with the footboard with dual pedals!

I'm just trying to point out that I wouldn't work on piece-meal'ing something together to sort of "get by", when you could simply buy something that would answer your needs. Oh, and that would be re-sell-able in the future...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
^All of those amps except maybe one are cheap solid-states or modelers. Not to mention, I don't even think it will suit his style of music (he wants an XXX, so he's most likely a metal player). I think he should just stick with his original plan of saving up for a cab and XXX head. XXX combo if he doesn't want to wait.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
^All of those amps except maybe one are cheap solid-states or modelers. Not to mention, I don't even think it will suit his style of music (he wants an XXX, so he's most likely a metal player). I think he should just stick with his original plan of saving up for a cab and XXX head. XXX combo if he doesn't want to wait.

You're right -- and that's what I was recommending.

I don't know, I feel like I'm arguing for no reason here. If he wants to get a keyboard amp and an FX unit -- great! I hope he has a great time and is inspired to knock it out of the park.

My take was instead of buying a keyboard amp and an FX unit, just buy a decent modelling amp. But I'm getting the picture my opinion is either not getting across or it's just not in keeping with the rest of you guys...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I just sold some tech equipment online so once the money clears in my bank account I think I'm gonna grab that cabinet. $150 for 2x12 Avatar cab seems like a steal - it has Eminence speakers, though I'm not sure which ones.

There's a couple of GuitarCenter locations within 25-30 miles of me, XXX heads going for $350-450 (assuming their inventory page is up to date, not sure since Black Friday just rolled around).
Also, random question: the guy selling the cab doesn't have a head anymore. Is there any way to test it other than finding a head to run it through? My friend has a Peavey XXX combo, but I'm not sure if it has a speaker output.
Quote by richardlpalmer
Fair enough. So then why not just buy a guitar amp?

I'll jump in and say for dexterity:

not every venue is going to be able to mic your amp up, plus carrying a heavy amp is quite the hassle as for the MFX+Keyboard amp you can always leave your keyboard amp home and plug your MFX straight to the PA. plus with a combo you won't geta foot controller with it which is additional money actually so it turns out to be more expensive
A good modeller has a lot of versatility, also most modelling amps are very limited and basic- they dont have any of the in depth tweaking options that something like an RP series or an HD series will give (ie parametric EQ's, OD pedal stacking, bi amping, using multiple cab models etc. Example- the Peavey Vypyr lets you set reverb level. Thats it. The Pod HD sets pre delay, decay time, type of reverb, high pass, low pass, and delay mix. Short of an uber expensive modeller like a Vetta II, you simply wont get that depth of control or versatility in a Mustang or a Vypyr).

A modeller can sound good if you set it up right. Just like a regular amp will sound bad if you set it up wrong. Ask 311- he has a Vypyr as well as a Splawn. Or Offworld- he stopped using his 5150 after he got his. Or Reincaster- he sold his Mesa Stiletto after he got an Eleven rack.
Quote by TJM2482
Also, random question: the guy selling the cab doesn't have a head anymore. Is there any way to test it other than finding a head to run it through? My friend has a Peavey XXX combo, but I'm not sure if it has a speaker output.

Look up the specs on the Peavey XXX combo and see...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native