Page 1 of 4
I was wondering, would it be possible to build a tube amp that used 100 watt incandescent light bulbs as power tubes? How would it sound? Has it been done?

I mean, if you think about it, 4 incandescent soft white bulbs that are 100 watts would be putting out 400 watts of tube power. That would be powerful as fuck. Can any techs here confirm this?

Or is just a stupid as shit question?
Tubes and lightbulbs are 2 very different things, they both light up when they have current running through them but that's about it.
lol
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
No, as light bulbs are made to create light using a filament, and valves are basically glass and wire transistors. Not at all the same thing.
It would be awesome though.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I was wondering, would it be possible to build a tube amp that used 100 watt incandescent light bulbs as power tubes? How would it sound? Has it been done?

I mean, if you think about it, 4 incandescent soft white bulbs that are 100 watts would be putting out 400 watts of tube power. That would be powerful as fuck. Can any techs here confirm this?

No. A power tube in an amp is essentially a poweramplifier. Weak signal goes in, comes out big. It has a cathode and an anode, and electrons flow through a vacuum. The glow is just a side effect, dont recall what its called.
A light bulb is......just a light bulb. It glows because its hot. Thats.....it. There is no flow of electrons through vacuum.

What the guy said about it being a glass and filament transistor, thats more or less right.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

I think youre looking for this-

Its got about 20 something tubes in the poweramp.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 30, 2011,
Sure you can. You can also replace components on the circuit board for small pieces of candy as long as they're the right color.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Roc8995
Thread. Of. The. Week.

Of the month, at least

It's been a while since I've lol'd this hard at a thread.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Just make sure you get the clear ones because tubes are clear, so it should work just like tubes, right?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Light bulbs... Power tubes.... Nope... Bad Idea...
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
I dunno I think the tone would be a little too (wait for it) bright.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
No. A power tube in an amp is essentially a poweramplifier. Weak signal goes in, comes out big. It has a cathode and an anode, and electrons flow through a vacuum. The glow is just a side effect, dont recall what its called.
A light bulb is......just a light bulb. It glows because its hot. Thats.....it. There is no flow of electrons through vacuum.

What the guy said about it being a glass and filament transistor, thats more or less right.

I think youre looking for this-

Its got about 20 something tubes in the poweramp.

WTF IS THAT?
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Tube amps sound ok with tubes but with lightbulbs they really (wait for it) shine.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Considering the weight difference, a tube amp running on lightbulbs would probably be very (wait for it) light.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
forget 100 watters lets get some 500 watt halogen floods for the total br00talz. we can use some nightlite bulbs in the preamp.
This thread has really (wait for it) illuminated the topic.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
A couple of these 1000 watters in the poweramp should do it.
Let's not get burned out on puns, now. There might be a filament of truth in this idea.
Well this sounded like a great idea, so I took all the power tubes out of my mark IV, broke the bases off, and soldered them to 100W light bulbs. It sounded AMAZING!!

On a side note, anyone know where I can get a new mark IV on the cheap?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Well this sounded like a great idea, so I took all the power tubes out of my mark IV, broke the bases off, and soldered them to 100W light bulbs. It sounded AMAZING!!

On a side note, anyone know where I can get a new mark IV on the cheap?

Try eBay.
oh man nice work on the puns

serious answer, though: a lightbulb isn't a tube- you have a cathode, anode, etc. etc. all in a tube so it amplifies (or rectifies), whereas a lightbulb is basically just a filament which sends out light when it gets hot.

So yeah, it's not going to work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh man nice work on the puns

serious answer, though: a lightbulb isn't a tube- you have a cathode, anode, etc. etc. all in a tube so it amplifies (or rectifies), whereas a lightbulb is basically just a filament which sends out light when it gets hot.

So yeah, it's not going to work.

Why you gotta bring the thread down with all your facts and stuff?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Be sure to properly install the bulbs though, people often mess that up and the results can be (wait for it) shocking.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
it's a light bulb, and I don't think it's a tube. However, for a light bulb, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as light bulb if it works
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
it's a light bulb, and I don't think it's a tube. However, for a light bulb, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as light bulb if it works

tl;dr
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Be sure to properly install the bulbs though, people often mess that up and the results can be (wait for it) shocking.

You, sir, are on a roll!

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Actually, the advantage to using light bulbs is that you can buy the ones that last like five years so you don't have to worry about(wait for it) blackouts.

This is the BEST thred I have read in a long time.

I say screw it and run some 500 watt Mercury Vapor bulbs, so you can grow some pot while you jam out. I heard thats what Bob Marley did.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe if you go to star wars land you can get a lightsaber and stick it in the amp so you can have more(wait for it) cutting edge distortion.

Page 1 of 4