It seems way I have the gear set up seems to have an effect on my tone, and I don't know why. It as is my distortion is more distortiony (way too much) and my clean tones now sound distorted. I have a feeling this is because my set up is guitar->RC20->Line6 but I wanted to see what other people thought. It seemed to be fine when my guitar teacher did it with his, but his was set up as guitar->multi effect pedal->RC20->Line6. So what does everyone else think?
Maybe it's possible that the multi-effect pedal your teacher was using has a noise gate in it.

Prick your finger, it is done.
The moon has now eclipsed the sun.
The angel has spread his wings.
The time has come for better things.
Maybe the instrument or the playback levels are too high?
Quote by Fatlumpthe1st
It seems way I have the gear set up seems to have an effect on my tone, and I don't know why. It as is my distortion is more distortiony (way too much) and my clean tones now sound distorted. I have a feeling this is because my set up is guitar->RC20->Line6 but I wanted to see what other people thought. It seemed to be fine when my guitar teacher did it with his, but his was set up as guitar->multi effect pedal->RC20->Line6. So what does everyone else think?
Your problem is that you are using a multifx amp and a looper. Your teacher apparently gets all his FX from the multifx and runs the amp clean. You cannot run a looper into anything but a clean amp.

Queue all the people who say I'm wrong. I'm not, they are.
Maybe, but there's another problem that gets on my nerves- it's a looper pedal, and it has a drum track on it, so when you put distortion on it, it distorts the drum beat thingy as well, why does that happen?
Quote by fly135
Your problem is that you are using a multifx amp and a looper. Your teacher apparently gets all his FX from the multifx and runs the amp clean. You cannot run a looper into anything but a clean amp.

Queue all the people who say I'm wrong. I'm not, they are.

I thought this might have been the problem..... it sounds perfectly fine when I do clean stuff (as long as I turn the guitar itself down a tad) but with distortion it screws up the drum thing and everything aswell as the tones.... looks like I need a new amp and effects pedals
Yep, if you want to loop then you'll need pedals or a multifx to put in front of the looper. You can get away with using your amp clean until you can afford a better amp. If your Line 6 has an aux in you might consider running the looper into the aux in.

The reason is the aux in completely bypasses the guitar processing part of the amp.
Quote by fly135
Yep, if you want to loop then you'll need pedals or a multifx to put in front of the looper. You can get away with using your amp clean until you can afford a better amp. If your Line 6 has an aux in you might consider running the looper into the aux in.

The reason is the aux in completely bypasses the guitar processing part of the amp.

Damn, it doesn't have an aux in
Looks like I need me some new equipment. Good thing christmas be a comin'
Cheers for all the ideas guys