So, I finally decided to spend a bit more money on myself. The result:

Ibanez RG1570, baswood body, maple/walnut neck, rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, Edge Pro bridge, Gotoh tuners, 1x volume, 1x tone, 5-way switch, stock V7/S1/V8 pickups.

Pics, lovingly and artistically taken with my moderately-shitty cell phone camera:

Here's the bridge, with dust particle (TM) technology, for that extra tuning stability:

And the 24th fret. Pretty good action, will discuss below:

The review:

First, I should mention that I've been playing a Les Paul for about 5 years. Nothing feels even remotely the same on this guitar, and I have difficulty adjusting to it. Everything is different, from the shape of the neck, to the way it balances. I keep missing notes and harmonics due to the substantially different feel of the instrument. It'll probably take a few weeks to adjust to it. It goes without saying that everything is high-quality, made in Japan, and it shows.

As you probably know, the neck is quite thin and wide. This means that, unlike an LP neck, it doesn't "fill" your hand, so to say. You can't grip it as firmly as the LP. It's definitely something you have to try before buying, as you might not like it at all. However, the fret access is substantially better, particularly at the top frets. The neck joint also helps, since, unlike on an LP, it doesn't get in the way at all.

It feels like a strat, nicely contoured, and the cutaways are much deeper. Like the neck, nothing gets in the way, the design is very ergonomic. The hardware is also high quality. The bridge holds tuning, but then again I haven't abused it, only slight vibrato. However, I'm not used to a tremolo arm, and this particular one gets in the way of everything: knobs, switch, picking. I'm not sure where to have it so it doesn't get in the way, but I still have quick access to it.

The thing came with 9s, which I hate, so I switched to 10s. Since it wasn't properly set up from the shop to begin with, I had to readjust everything, and I do mean everything, neck, bridge, action, etc. By the way, if you're not a patient, meticulous person, do yourself a favor and don't get a guitar with a floyd rose-type bridge. Also, for some reason, the manufacturer decided to slip two metal spacers under the nut. Beats me why, all they do is raise the action. I took them out and adjusted everything (took a few good hours... ). Right now, at the 24th fret the action is about 1.8 mm at the low E and 1.5 at the high E. I'm definitely not a light picker, so I probably won't go any lower. Even with lighter picking, I'm not even sure if it goes any lower without some serious fret buzz. I also adjusted the neck so that it has a bit of relief, I like it that way.

The pickups are quite good for stock pickups. The positions on the switch produce vastly different tones. Position 1 (bridge) sounds raw and punchy, with a fast attack. Position 2 sounds very telecaster-y, good for cleans. The middle position engages the single coil. I'm not crazy about it, then again I'm not crazy about single coils in general. Position 4 sounds similar to 2, but a lot softer and mellower (think of the neck pickup on a strat), and finally position 5 is warm and slightly dark sounding. It's almost like having 5 guitars in one, very versatile.

One particularly negative aspect were the screws of the trem claw. I don't know where they found those, but they're of surprisingly poor quality. The heads strip easily, so care should be taken especially when tightening them. I guess the Japanese aren't good at screwing.

Was it worth it? I'd say so. The shop which sold it had a 15% discount on Ibanez guitars, and I got them down to 20%. Original price was around 800 euros, I got it down to 640, new of course. If you check online stores, the price there is at least 880, so holy shit. I don't think I could have gotten a better guitar for the money.

I'm not exactly sure what else to say. If you have any further questions ask away.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
HNGD! Thats a damn sexy prestige. Ive never liked Ibanez, but the few prestiges I played were all phenomenal
sweet

that's a pretty good deal in europe

i think that's an edge pro bridge, though? so it's probably new old stock rather than brand new- however, i'd prefer teh edge pro as it's made by gotoh (the newer edge zero isn't and isn't really proven as it's not been out long).

I think that qualifies as a score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
atleast clean it before posting pictures.. hngd anyway.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
HNGD!

I don't know why but I find most Ibanez guitars to be incredibly boring. They're like the ham sandwich of the guitar world, even if it is a high quality MIJ ham sandwich.

I own 2 Ibanez but the prestiges are just too clinical and boring for me. Call me superficial but I like a little bit of flair in my instruments.
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

that's a pretty good deal in europe

i think that's an edge pro bridge, though? so it's probably new old stock rather than brand new- however, i'd prefer teh edge pro as it's made by gotoh (the newer edge zero isn't and isn't really proven as it's not been out long).

I think that qualifies as a score

According to the Internets, the Edge Pro version was discontinued in 2009 (which if I read the serial correctly is when this guitar was made). I don't really care, I just wanted a reliable, durable system.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
TS you moron. Your pics just made me blow my load all over the monitor.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by AxSilentxLine
HNGD!

I don't know why but I find most Ibanez guitars to be incredibly boring. They're like the ham sandwich of the guitar world, even if it is a high quality MIJ ham sandwich.

I own 2 Ibanez but the prestiges are just too clinical and boring for me. Call me superficial but I like a little bit of flair in my instruments.

poo head.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Mad Marius
According to the Internets, the Edge Pro version was discontinued in 2009 (which if I read the serial correctly is when this guitar was made). I don't really care, I just wanted a reliable, durable system.

yeah, i think that sounds about right. I agree with you, i picked up a NOS 2003 3270, i don't really care when it was made as long as it's made well and has a good trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
HNGD!

I definitely agree. Ibby guitars all look the same. There's really nothing that sets them apart from each other, or any other superstrat. Plus, I've seen way too many shitty core bands with Ibbys, so that's another reason for me to stay away. That said, HNGD man! No doubt that's a fantastic guitar, and you're obviously pretty happy with it. I hope you enjoy that guitar for many years to come.
Quote by piwyutisa
And the 24th fret. Pretty good action, will discuss below: http://fwd4.me/0hsX

Ad-bot! Man the harpoons! Kill it with fire! You shall not invade this man's NGD thread!
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Sweet!

HNGD

And don't listen to the "boring" remarks. Feel is in your fingers, not your eyeballs
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Nice guitar!

I own the same guitar but dropped in a bare knuckle bridge and neck.

Like a good neighbour, state farm won't replace that for you. In fact I'm going to steal it.
Quote by 57Goldtop
Sweet!

HNGD

And don't listen to the "boring" remarks. Feel is in your fingers, not your eyeballs

I'm not saying it's a bad guitar by any means, just not my thing. Everyone's got different tastes though.
Quote by blaaargh
I definitely agree. Ibby guitars all look the same. There's really nothing that sets them apart from each other, or any other superstrat. Plus, I've seen way too many shitty core bands with Ibbys, so that's another reason for me to stay away. That said, HNGD man! No doubt that's a fantastic guitar, and you're obviously pretty happy with it. I hope you enjoy that guitar for many years to come.

Well, it depends. When I think of Ibanez, I think of Vai, Satch, Gilbert, and Petrucci (before EB/MM). That being said, a black RG is kind of a symbol of heavy bands tuned down to drop Q. lol
Quote by blaaargh
I'm not saying it's a bad guitar by any means, just not my thing. Everyone's got different tastes though.

That's cool. I actually agree with your earlier post. That's my only complaint about the RG line. From a distance you can't really tell if it's a $200 guitar or a $2000 guitar. They do kind of all look the same.

That being said, $200 or $2000, feel is still in your fingers, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or was it beer holder?)
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Marius - i was a gibson player for a long time before i picked up my Ibby. the take a little bit to get used to, but after a little bit you should have no problem going back and forth. HNGD.

and as far as the core comment, it really doesn't matter to me. i see 10x more LTD EC's then ibbys at gigs around here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/