I have been thinking about buying an American standard Stratocaster for about a year now. The price from Guitar Center is usually as good as any that I have found from other stores (Sweetwater, Kenelly Keys).

I would probably buy it online, because I want a new one, and I do not want a floor model that somebody else may have been fiddling around with.

I noticed that Fender is offering a $100 rebate right now through the end of 2011.

The normal price for an American Standard is usually around $1000 - $1100. With the rebate the price comes down to $899.

Does the American Standard Stratocaster ever price any lower than that and do you think that the $899 is a pretty good deal?

Why are the color choices so limited? How often do they switch the color palette?
The Americam Standard is very good deal at normal retail price ($1100). If you had a tad more budget though the Deluxe Players Strat is superior Strat for approx $400 more in Alder (Ash is extra). Btter HW, compound radius neck, better PUs etc.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The Americam Standard is very good deal at normal retail price ($1100). If you had a tad more budget though the Deluxe Players Strat is superior Strat for approx $400 more in Alder (Ash is extra). Btter HW, compound radius neck, better PUs etc.

You mean American Deluxe, though, right? I think the Deluxe Player Stratocaster is a MIM model.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
If you just want a really nice plain Strat then you might as well get it now while you can get the hundred bucks back on it. But like KenG said the Deluxe one is a better guitar in every way and even though its more expensive it's better value, when you consider every part of it is upgraded.
Quote by KenG

I know the Deluxe has the S1 switching the locking tuners and the noiseless pickups. I don't really care about the switching or the locking tuners. I don't know much about the noiseless pickups but that seems subjective to me.

I'll have to try one out
The real big deal about the Deluxe is that the wood is better and it has a carved heel for better fret access and a more stable bridge.
What wood? I've seen comments about the wood in some of my google searches. Some people make it seem like Fender collects driftwood out of the East River for the standard.
That's because people on the internet take everything to extremes.

It's just that you can sometimes find Deluxes with 1-piece bodies and whether they're 1-piece or 2-piece the Deluxes get the lighter wood Fender has, which is also normally the more resonant wood. Of the Standards and Deluxes I've played, consistently both ont he Strat and Teles the Deluxes seem to always weigh a pound or so less than the Standards and every single one of them has had better sustain and clearer low-end.

It's not that the Standards are made with bad wood. But there are different levels of good wood.
$899 is a good deal, but if you can swing the deluxe it's worth it to do so.

again, there isn't anything wrong with a standard strat, it's a great guitar.

but the little things that are nicer on a deluxe are worth the bit extra if it's doable for you.

either way, you aren't going to go wrong.

the main thing i like about the deluxe is the compound radius neck. you may not care either way as far as that goes.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.