Ive been looking into buying a set of seymour duncan blackouts for my epiphone explorer. ive never used active pickups before, which is kind of sad because i play mostly metal. What are some things i should know before buying a set. I already know they need batteries and have a higher output. things like...
would i need to buy new pots? What would need swapped out of my guitar? new pickup selector? etc.
any advice will help
Quote by shredder1955
why would the jack need to be swapped? just wondering

The new jack will break the circuit to the battery so it doesn't drain power when nothing is plugged into the guitar. Otherwise your battery would eventually die by itself
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Last edited by Head BANGER 81 at Nov 30, 2011,
If you go EMG, all the parts are included and come with a quick-connect system (assuming you buy new).

Actives don't always have high output. The Blackouts certainly do, but the EMG X series has lower output than regular EMGs. I love 'em.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
You'd need to replace:
-Pots, you probably have 500k or 250k, you need replace them with 25k pots so your 9v batteries don't rebound and burn your preamp out
-Batteries, you either need to rerout the electronics cavity or just shove them in there

even though I have blackout equiped guitars, I STRONGLY advise staying away from active without thorough testing.

My solution:
High Output Passives
-Dimarzios (Super distortion, X2N, Evo, D-Activators)
-Duncan Distortion
-Duncan Dimebucker
-Duncan Alternative 8

JUST DONT BUY ACTIVES WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE GETTING INTO
???
Quote by solidrane

+1

They're seriously overrated.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
+1

They're seriously overrated.
They're no more overrated than any other type of pickup. How often do you see someone ask for pickup suggestions and someone replies with nothing more than "buy some dimarzios"?

If anything active pickups draw more random hate than any kind of passive pickup does.
^ this.

TS, you'll need a new jack, new pots, a place for a battery, a new capacitor (if your guitar uses a tone control) and the general wiring harness will need to be overhauled.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks for the advice. But ive been talking the manager of a local music store, and I know a little bit about what i could be getting into. I just didnt know specifics. And i have been considering going with some high output passives, like dimarzio , but ive been playing through them with every guitar i have owned. I want to try something new.