hey guys,
this is my first post as a new user, so im just going to dive right in

i recently aquired a Hartke GT60 "piggyback" half/mini stack.
i know is more of a budget style amp, but i only paid £80 for the whole thing, plus £10 on a better speaker cable, so if it dosent work out then its not a massive loss.

the guy i got it from says its only a year old, but i am aware that Hartke disscontinued this amp last year(?) correct me if im wrong

first impressions are good, but as i have never owned an amp with tubes in it i am unaware of any checks/maintenence issues that may arise. i understand that it has a single 12AX7 pre-amp tube, then solid state power amp section.
will a change of tube get me a better quality of tone and gain? as the tube that is in it is a cheep russian job.
what tube would be the best one to go for? as there is so many and im clueless!

any help, advice would be great,
cheers
Last edited by alan_g at Dec 1, 2011,
You probably wont notice much if any tone diffrence if you change the 12a7. Most amps with a single pre-amp tube are gimmicks to get you to buy the "tube" sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ok, so the best thing to do would be to let the tube go untill it needs replaced?
Quote by alan_g
ok, so the best thing to do would be to let the tube go untill it needs replaced?

pretty much. If you want to try, 12ax7's are fairly cheap and its good to have a few spares around just incase.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate