So i have a few questions about cleaning my guitar (Jackson Kelly) that I can't seem to find (or don't trust the advice given) on google.

1. the screws on my pickups are rusty. Ways to clean off the rust? I've heard about just using steel wool or anti rust sprays.

2. the actual frretboard get this grimy stuff on it (finger/string crap i guess).

3. i read something about putting soap on the nut and it helps keep strings in tune. does that work?

thanx
1) I would just replace the screws with stainless steel ones, or maybe try a bit of WD-40
2) Scrape it off with anything that won't scratch the fretboard, a plastic ruler usually does the job
3) Soap, chalk or pencil graphite all work to lubricate the nut (heh)
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
1. Not much you can do with the pickups. Usually, you could just use some steel wool to remove the surface rust, but in this case the shavings of the steel wool will damage the magnets of the pickups. Try a toothbrush.

2. use a toothbrush to remove all of the gunk, then condition the board with some lemon oil. This will help make them darker and smoother. Only do this on unfinished fretboards DO NOT USE LEMON OIL ON MAPLE FRETBOARDS.

2B. While you are at it, get some #0000 extra fine steel wool and polish up the frets. Just don't forget to mask off the pickups (refer to part 1) and mask off the fretboards as well so you don't get any shavings in the wood. All that should be exposed are the frets themselves.

3. Haven't heard of that one. Most people just use graphite or pencil shavings. This will help reduce friction at the nut and make everything a bit smoother. It will help tuning, but nothing will work better besides locking tuners or a locking nut. If the nut is locking, there is no use for this. The friction rule usually only works for unlocked/slotted nuts.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Paddy McK
1) I would just replace the screws with stainless steel ones, or maybe try a bit of WD-40
2) Scrape it off with anything that won't scratch the fretboard, a plastic ruler usually does the job
3) Soap, chalk or pencil graphite all work to lubricate the nut (heh)

i had a bad experience taking pickups out of my guitar (the pickups fell in) but those were single coil. will my humbuckers do that? :/
Quote by stonyman65
1. Not much you can do with the pickups. Usually, you could just use some steel wool to remove the surface rust, but in this case the shavings of the steel wool will damage the magnets of the pickups. Try a toothbrush.

2. use a toothbrush to remove all of the gunk, then condition the board with some lemon oil. This will help make them darker and smoother. Only do this on unfinished fretboards DO NOT USE LEMON OIL ON MAPLE FRETBOARDS.

2B. While you are at it, get some #0000 extra fine steel wool and polish up the frets. Just don't forget to mask off the pickups (refer to part 1) and mask off the fretboards as well so you don't get any shavings in the wood. All that should be exposed are the frets themselves.

3. Haven't heard of that one. Most people just use graphite or pencil shavings. This will help reduce friction at the nut and make everything a bit smoother. It will help tuning, but nothing will work better besides locking tuners or a locking nut. If the nut is locking, there is no use for this. The friction rule usually only works for unlocked/slotted nuts.

not the actual pickups (they're the box pickups, or whatever they're called), the screws
Quote by gunsnroses#1
not the actual pickups (they're the box pickups, or whatever they're called), the screws

If you change the screws, you will alter the tone a bit.Those screws are magnatized and if you change to new ones it changes the tone just a little.

They are called covered Humbuckers.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate