Poll: Should animals be stunned before slaughter?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should animals be stunned before slaughter?
Yes.
79 62%
No.
12 9%
I don't know.
17 13%
Animals shouldn't be slaughtered at all.
14 11%
Other.
5 4%
Voters: 127.
Page 1 of 2
Fairly simple question.

Obligatory article:

The slaughter of conscious animals was widely abandoned in the 20th Century and is now practised mainly in the Jewish and Muslim communities. Consumers increasingly expect animals to be stunned before death - but would banning other slaughter methods be an unacceptable violation of religious rights?

The sound of pistons and mechanics fills the air as the last calf of the day steps into a holding box.

A device the size of a hand-held drill is brought to the animal's head, a trigger pulled and a four-inch bolt shot into its brain, causing it instantly to collapse. The unconscious calf is hoisted upside down and slaughtered seconds later with a massive cut to its throat, showering the floor with a torrent of crimson blood.

"Killing animals is never friendly," says Paul Meeuwissen, director of the Vitelco abattoir in the central town of s'-Hertogenbosch, "but what we do is done in the most animal-friendly way possible."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14779271

Waste of time? Or neccessary?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yes. At least let them die without pain.

Btw. I just had some nice burgers with bacon.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Nov 30, 2011,
option 4 ftw!

but since its unreasonable in the real world, i go with yes they should. actually they should be killed painlessly, as in some form of quick death so they dont have to live and be conscious throughout the slaughtering process. come on, though, imagine being alive the entire time, thats just ****ed up.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Nov 30, 2011,
I would feel better knowing that the animal I am eating didn't die in a barrage of pain.
West Ham United
It should be as painful and pointless as possible.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Thrashtastic15
As long as the meat doesn't lose any deliciousness, I don't care.

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
The other day we were driving behind a truck with chickens here in Brazil. We were driving on a bumpy dirt road and sometimes the chickens fell off and hit the ground. I'm assuming they died on impact because the people infront of us picked up the chickens and put them in their own cars without doing anything to them first.

I think that's how all chickens should meet their maker; falling off the top of a truck. Atleast they'll get a fighting chance for freedom. Not that they'll live for long in the brutal rainforest...
Of course they should be stunned. If part of practicing your religion is killing animals in a way that has to involve pain, then your religion is stupid.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I don't see how stunning the animal before destroying its brain will make a difference, and if they're bleeding it out, how does the pain of the stun compare to being cut open?

There's no way of knowing for sure, but I expect if a four inch bolt was shot into the back of your skull, you wouldn't have time to know much about it. Better than having your throat slashed and being hoisted up on a hook to bleed out while still fully concious, right?
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Kensai
The other day we were driving behind a truck with chickens here in Brazil. We were driving on a bumpy dirt road and sometimes the chickens fell off and hit the ground. I'm assuming they died on impact because the people infront of us picked up the chickens and put them in their own cars without doing anything to them first.

I think that's how all chickens should meet their maker; falling off the top of a truck. Atleast they'll get a fighting chance for freedom. Not that they'll live for long in the brutal rainforest...

i imagined giant trucks filled with thousands of chickens driving around in circles over a track with holes in the ground for the chickens to fall through. the future of farming
showering the floor with a torrent of crimson blood

I see the BBC is keeping up its bad habit of using emotive language to persuade.
As quick and painless as possible.
Species eating species is normal, it's been done for millions of years. We do it pretty humane except for certain cases.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Yes, they should. I didn't read the article though, this is all based on the opinions I already have.

On a side note, as soon as I move out I'm going to become a vegetarian. I want as few as possible to die.

Edit: I voted yes, but I don't think animals should be slaughtered at all. I don't have too much of a problem with subsistence hunting/fishing though. At least the animal died in its natural habitat, and it's just the way things go.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
i imagined giant trucks filled with thousands of chickens driving around in circles over a track with holes in the ground for the chickens to fall through. the future of farming

Everyone who wants chickens have to follow the trucks and fish the chickens out of the holes. You have to work for your food, damnit. None of that modern day crap.
Quote by King Donkey
I would feel better knowing that the animal I am eating didn't die in a barrage of pain.

This.

Religious bullshit is not a valid excuse to do immoral things such as make the killing of an animal needlessly worse than it would be.
Quote by The_Sophist
Of course they should be stunned. If part of practicing your religion is killing animals in a way that has to involve pain, then your religion is stupid.

This.

Imagine a cute little baby calf about to be slaughtered the least we can do is stun it so it doesn't have to go through any pain.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I don't care as long as I get my lamb and beef medium, my chicken tasty, my pork crispy and my duck with pancakes. All other animals should be cooked in a similar way.

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Yes. At least let them die without pain.

Btw. I just had some nice burgers with bacon.

I miss bacon... they don't have any real bacon here
Quote by Kensai
I miss bacon... they don't have any real bacon here

More for us then
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Zoot Allures
This.

Religious bullshit is not a valid excuse to do immoral things such as make the killing of an animal needlessly worse than it would be.

Quote by shredibanez24
This.

Imagine a cute little baby calf about to be slaughtered the least we can do is stun it so it doesn't have to go through any pain.

Just pointing out how similar these posts look. Fun Fact; shred has 29 words and 110 characters, while Zoot has 26 words and 115 characters. Zoot obviously writes in big words more.
Honest answer - in Asia, we slaughter animals in front of people before serving or selling. Asians like their food fresh. Ever heard of a wet market? I must admit, not the most humane way of killing these animals and it should be controlled to stunning but in Asia no one cares about animal welfare. True story and I'm not even joking

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by devourke
Just pointing out how similar these posts look. Fun Fact; shred has 29 words and 110 characters, while Zoot has 26 words and 115 characters. Zoot obviously writes in big words more.

Shred's post was better because it has cute baby cows.
___

Quote by The_Blode
An oposing pov would be why pay more to just kill animals? A lot of shit the producers do to animals is for efficientcy. Another thought is how much note brutal is dying in a factory than being attacked by a animal?
Quote by WCPhils
Shred's post was better because it has cute baby cows.

Being killed.
West Ham United
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
An oposing pov would be why pay more to just kill animals? A lot of shit the producers do to animals is for efficientcy. Another thought is how much note brutal is dying in a factory than being attacked by a animal?

Point #1: This is why I don't like the meat industry. Money always seems to be more important than life, and they have to endure so much to feed humans, many of whom don't need that meat. Also, this is why I don't have a problem with subsistent farming. I will admit right now that I don't have the balls and/or information to back this up, so **** me.

Point #2: Animals have a chance in the wild, and they aren't subjected to the harsh living conditions they are when they are raised in factories.
Quote by shredibanez24
This.

They don't slaughter calfs dude, they wait for it to grow up so it will produce more meat, think before you speak moronic statements.

Shoving a bolt through it's brain is fairly painless seeing as the brain is destroyed instantly, I don't see the issue here. I don't care how they die, as long as I get my ground beef.
I would prefer it if the animals didn't suffer much, but I don't really care as long as my food is tasty.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by ethan_hanus
They don't slaughter calfs dude, they wait for it to grow up so it will produce more meat, think before you speak moronic statements.

Shoving a bolt through it's brain is fairly painless seeing as the brain is destroyed instantly, I don't see the issue here. I don't care how they die, as long as I get my ground beef.

Dude.

The sound of pistons and mechanics fills the air as the last calf of the day steps into a holding box.

Straight from the article in the OP.

Quote by devourke

crazy stuff man haha
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Last edited by shredibanez24 at Nov 30, 2011,
Quote by shredibanez24
Dude.

Straight from the article in the OP.

You sound like a city boy, a cow can still be considered a calf if it's under a year or two, they are a bit iffy on that, they get big very quick, so they can sell more meat. Not like they are going to let it live for 5 years, that's just money sitting wasting away.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You sound like a city boy, a cow can still be considered a calf if it's under a year or two, they are a bit iffy on that, they get big very quick, so they can sell more meat. Not like they are going to let it live for 5 years, that's just money sitting wasting away.

When I hear this it makes me want to kill.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
When I hear this it makes me want to kill.

Typical townie.

That's not even a mafia reference, it's just what cityfolk are referred to by farmers in NZ.
Quote by devourke
Typical townie.

That's not even a mafia reference, it's just what cityfolk are referred to by farmers in NZ.

I was about to grab my noose when you said that.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by ethan_hanus

Well, excuse me for not growing up on a cattle farm.
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W