So This winter break I will be finishing my P bass up finally. It has two precision pickups, one in the regular spot and one in the bridge.

I know for a fact it will have
1. vol and tone for both
2. stereo output option
3. Rick style high-pass filter on bridge maybe neck (switchable)

I kind of want to add to it, and I'm willing to go crazy if I can make it work and fit (with routing)

My ideas are
1. series parallel switch between pickups
2. phase switch between pickups
3. on off switches for each half of each pickup
4. series parallel switch for each half of each pickup
5. phase switch between each half of each pickup

Am I missing anything?? Anyone have experience with any of these to give cons and pros?
Will you upload pics after you're done? Even though I picked you to be perma'd....
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Couldn't you just add the hpf right after the input so it would work for both pups?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Will you upload pics after you're done? Even though I picked you to be perma'd....

Perma'd? like perma-fried?

Yea before everything else on a switch. I'm trying to make a p bass (my favorite style bass) into a mashup with a rickenbacker, and just get a lot of tones out of it. I have two short scales, and this is going to be my magnificent stoner-doom-rock-metal etc. bass.
Hey, sorry to hijack this thread but it's on wiring so I figured someone would be able to help...

I'm thinking of installing a J pickup in the bridge of my P bass, would it be possible for me to wire up one of those fender knobs that has a smaller knob protruding from the center (don't know the name of them :S) to control the volume of each pickup independently?

Thanks if anyone knows what I'm on about haha x
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I think you mean stacked controls. Danelectro uses them on the Longhorn. Two pickups with two stacked knobs. The large knobs control the individual volumes. The smaller inner knobs control the individual tones.
Yeah they're the ones I meant haha! I could install one for each pickup I suppose hmm...
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I don't often touch my tone to be honest, and it seems that getting stacked pots over here is gonna be a right hassle :/

What if I just wired the 2nd pot up to the volume of the jazz, would I then get full tone from both pickups all the time?
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Dec 1, 2011,
You could do that, or add a small low-pass switch for one or both.

For my P bass, I am doing some routing, and will use the existing output jack hole for a pot, and adding another above the existing volume, so I can have 4 pots. I'll be putting a 2 output jack stereo plate on the side like a tele or les paul.
A couple weeks ago I added a phase switch to my Cort. It was an easy change and gives more tone options, but really, I think the best sound is still both pickups on with no tone filtering. After all, it is a bass, so why do anything that makes the sound skinnier?