hey guys,

Im going to college next year, and I gotta figure out another set up. my 6505 with a full cab and 5 space rack is a little too much to lug around NYC...

I was thinking either the 6505 combo and a 3 space rack to throw my effects processor, power conditioner, and sonic maximizer in, and then i was just gunna throw the hotplate ontop.

or..I was thinking about that real small blackstar mini stack. I tried it out today and it sounded great.

my budget is like 700, but if theres something that fits my bill for more i'le just have to work longer or whatever.

any other ideas? basically Im looking for something with real good quality, versitality geared towards metal, an effects loop,and preferably a headphone/line out.

Thanks!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
just throwing this out there, but you COULD bring your rig. yeah, yeah. horror stories of people's stuff getting stolen, broken, etc. but i've never heard of anybody's gear actually getting stolen or anything. i brought everything i own and i was fine.

i know people who brought full drum kits and were able to get away with it. there was one section of rez where it was two guitarists and a synth player living in one dorm, with a bassist in the room across the hall and they jammed out with the doors open and played in the doorway! lol
Could always take your 6505 and buy a nice 2x12 cab, rather than buying a 6505 combo. The speakers in the combo's leave a lot to be desired. Plus, lugging round a 6505 (2x12) combo is far harder than carrying a 4x12 cab, in my opinion. As for the rack, you should be fine taking your 5 space rack, they're not exactly the hardest thing in the world to make room for.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
i wouldnt be able to take my full rig, only because it legit wouldnt fit in our dorm rooms. I have to share with another person and this amp has to fit in a corner... 2x12 might work... I could always dish out 700 bucks for a nice MESA one or something
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Vypyr 60 tube? 1x12 combo with a tube power section, great modeling for metal, plus headphone out if you need to be very quiet.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Just take the amount of space you'll have in your dorm into consideration. Other than that, don't worry about it. My AC30, full pedalboard, and 2 guitars fit in my dorm just fine.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Dec 1, 2011,
i would probably look into something like i-rig or something for dorm use. i didn't have to stay in a dorm.

as far as gigging gear that you have to fit in your dorm or carry or whatnot, you may want to get a 1x12 over a 2x12" (in general) because of weight if it is being carried around if you are moving it a lot. but i like 2x12"s better.

also anything with casters (preferably larger) will be a lot more handy as compared to carrying it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
thanks for all the replies guys,

I need to go play a Mesa 2x12. People all over youtube use them with a 6505+, but I've heard theyre heavy as hell and the weight really outweighs (ha) the cab. Im going to be gigging with it but either way, lugging around a 2x12 instead of a 4x12 seems like a much, much better idea.
I was going to go the electronic way and run my pod through some speakers, but I dont think I have enough desk space. This is most likely going to be finalized when I get into my exact dorm and look at things and whatnot, but thanks for all the help.

If anyone can think of a better solution to the college kid cutting down his 6 space to a 3 space and getting a mesa 2x12 to replace a full cab, please let me know.

thanks for the help so far!
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
When I was a First Year, I had an Orange Rockerverb 50 and matching 212 (I gigged a lot in college). One night, my roommate, some suite-mates, and I laid the cabinet face down on the floor and cranked the amp. My SR was not pleased.

Also, OP, what school will you be attending (NYU, Columbia, Fordham, etc)? I live in NYC.
Quote by colin617
When I was a First Year, I had an Orange Rockerverb 50 and matching 212 (I gigged a lot in college). One night, my roommate, some suite-mates, and I laid the cabinet face down on the floor and cranked the amp. My SR was not pleased.

Also, OP, what school will you be attending (NYU, Columbia, Fordham, etc)? I live in NYC.

Might have to try that...

I applied early to NYU music tech. I'm not definitely in yet but i had a phone interview on monday, I've been accepted to other city-based schools (philly) so i figured I'd start thinking about amp stuff.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Last edited by ilovemySG at Dec 1, 2011,
This is only a problem until you join a fraternity, move into a frat house, and can have whatever size rig your budget allows (not talking from experience or anything )

Are you selling your current setup to fund the new setup? If so, what about selling your 6505 head and buying a 6505 combo (and keep the cabs at your parents, or wherever). Then you have the best of both worlds, since you can run the combo into the cabs whenever you need them
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by ilovemySG
Might have to try that...

I applied early to NYU music tech. I'm not definitely in yet but i had a phone interview on monday, I've been accepted to other city-based schools (philly) so i figured I'd start thinking about amp stuff.

Well, good luck! If you happen to bring your gig rig, I (well, my band) has a rehearsal space in the Village should you ever get the urge to get loud. Drew Morris/ In Technicolor did that for me when I was an undergrad in Charlottesville. I figure I should pay it forward.
Quote by colin617
Well, good luck! If you happen to bring your gig rig, I (well, my band) has a rehearsal space in the Village should you ever get the urge to get loud. Drew Morris/ In Technicolor did that for me when I was an undergrad in Charlottesville. I figure I should pay it forward.

That would be awesome, without a doubt. I hear back next week
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010