Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a new amp as I only have a MG50DFX, and personally, it's horrid. I'm getting a new MIM Tele soon, and I'm going to need a good tube amp to go with it.

I play ska, reggae, and punk. Sometimes classic rock as well, but not as often as the first three. I'm looking for a decently low wattage combo, since I'm mainly a bedroom player, but try and jam with people as much as I can.

I'd like it to have a drive channel, an effects loop would be a plus but it's not needed.

I was thinking about a Hot Rod Deluxe, but I feel it would be way too loud for my purposes, even though I find alot of them as cheap as $300 on Craigslist. Alternatively, would there be a way that I could lower the volume of a HRDx so it would work at bedroom levels, that wouldn't be too expensive?

Price is also a big limit for me, I'd like it to be as cheap as possible.

Any help that gets thrown my way would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by emerald876 at Nov 30, 2011,
Try out Egnater if you haven't. They're pretty good and not too expensive.
Quote by emerald876
I'm looking for a new amp as I only have a MG50DFX, and personally, it's horrid. I'm getting a new MIM Tele soon, and I'm going to need a good tube amp to go with it.

I play ska, reggae, and punk. Sometimes classic rock as well, but not as often as the first three. I'm looking for a decently low wattage combo, since I'm mainly a bedroom player, but try and jam with people as much as I can.

I'd like it to have a drive channel, an effects loop would be a plus but it's not needed.

I was thinking about a Hot Rod Deluxe, but I feel it would be way too loud for my purposes, even though I find alot of them as cheap as $300 on Craigslist. Alternatively, would there be a way that I could lower the volume of a HRDx so it would work at bedroom levels, that wouldn't be too expensive?

Price is also a big limit for me, I'd like it to be as cheap as possible.

Any help that gets thrown my way would be greatly appreciated.

If you use the volume control you can play a 100watt tube 1/2 stack at home, the HRD should be no diffrent.

If you still think that it may be overkill, look at the Blues Jr,Jetcity 20watt 1x12 combo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The HRD would be a fine choice. Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols used a Fender Twin which is in the same vein. However, and it's a big however, to make it sound punk you have to run them at ear shattering volumes. The drive channel on a HRD is horrid. The clean channel will do your other styles ok without cranking it but to get punk the only way to get there is also on the clean channel but with the volume up loud enough to make the output tubes clip. That's seriously loud.
There is a way to run a HRD so you can get some power amp distortion at more useable levels and that is to run JJ 6V6 power tubes. If you do that however you won't be able to run it as loud clean for ska and reggae, it will still probably be loud enough though. If you like a bit of grit with your reggae then it would be a very nice rig indeed.
So that's how you do it for your genres if gigging. As a bedroom amp forget about it unless you want to run it with the volume turned right down and any distortion coming from pedals. That would still be an acceptable way to go though and you'd still have the ability to play with a drummer down the track where you can run it the way it should be done. HRD's with 6V6 tubes are awesome.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd go with a Fender Deluxe Reverb, with a good overdrive in front of it, if I were you. The Deluxe Reverb is a 1x12 amp and has an output of 22W, which is around the ballpark of what you would be looking at for a good bedroom and jam amp. As Cathbard mentioned, Steve Jones played through a Twin, which is basically a larger version of the Deluxe Reverb (although, there are a few slight differences, but the core sound is much the same). With that in mind, Fenders are certainly good amps for a punk sound. Cathbard mentioned the Hot Rod Deluxe, which is quite a popular amp. Honestly, the HRD is a decent amp, but, if you find a reasonably priced Deluxe Reverb new or used, you'd only be paying a bit more, for an amp that is head and shoulders above it in quality. For reggae and ska, in particular, the Deluxe Reverb will give you great clean and slightly dirty sounds at manageable volumes. The inbuilt reverb and vibrato are also good for colouring ska-style guitar tones with some ambience. As for punk, you'd be best to chuck an overdrive pedal in front of it, so that you can get some nice dirty overdrive at reasonable volumes. When cranked, the Deluxe Reverb overdrives very nicely, but it's really much too loud for home use. A Fulltone OCD or Tube-Screamer style circuit will do the job well at bedroom volumes.

I'm probably a bit biased here, as I own a Deluxe Reverb, but, honestly, I think you should try one out. I seriously think you will like it.
Gear:

'06 Fender Standard Telecaster
'99 Fender Standard Stratocaster
'04 Cort MR Custom
Electa Les Paul

Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Peavey Bandit 112

Digitech RP250
I was thinking about getting something like a Deluxe Reverb, but I'm really limited on how much I can spend. A DR is going to be too much for my budget. I was thinking maybe something like the VOX Valvetronix amps but I don't like modeling amps, and it's not all tube.
Blues Junior then? Stick an overdrive in front of it for the punk stuff and you're golden.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Blues Junior then? Stick an overdrive in front of it for the punk stuff and you're golden.

Or a Pro Junior.
Supersonic 22? Deluxe Reverb platform for your cleans and then a quality gain channel which can get heavy for punk, and an FX loop.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by emerald876
I was thinking about getting something like a Deluxe Reverb, but I'm really limited on how much I can spend. A DR is going to be too much for my budget. I was thinking maybe something like the VOX Valvetronix amps but I don't like modeling amps, and it's not all tube.

In that case, I agree, I think a Blues Junior or Pro Junior might be a good option. Or if you don't mind an amp that has a bit more bite and slightly less clean headroom, a Vox AC15C1 might be worth looking into. I tried one out, as well as an AC30 when I bought my Deluxe Reverb and thought it was quite a good amp for the money. I just personally preferred the Deluxe Reverb. If memory serves me correctly, Mick Jones from The Clash used a Vox, although I think it was an AC30, rather than an AC15, but yeah, an AC15 should get you in the ballpark of the tone that you want.
Gear:

'06 Fender Standard Telecaster
'99 Fender Standard Stratocaster
'04 Cort MR Custom
Electa Les Paul

Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Peavey Bandit 112

Digitech RP250
There's a lot of different tones with reggae. If you want slightly gritty cleans, then get something lower wattage. There's a lot of amps in that price point that will do what you want:

- Vox AC15
- Peavey Classic 30
- Fender Blues Junior, Pro Junior, Hot Rod Deluxe
- Marshall Class 5, Studio 15, maybe even a Haze
- Jet City Amps JCA20 or 22, PicoValve
- Blackheart Handsome Devil
- Orange Thunder 30, Dual Terror, Tiny Terror

A 50 watt amp will not be much louder per se than a 15 watt amp, they will have more clean headroom. My friend's Blues Junior could keep up pretty evenly with my Valveking, but I always had more volume and clean headroom to spare than he did.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm probably just going to get the HRD, since if I ever decide to gig, I have the headroom, and any overdrive that I want I can just use a pedal.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Another quick question that I don't feel deserves its own thread.

Don't most HRDxes have linear tapered pots for the volume? Is there any way that I could get it swapped out to an audio taper? I don't want it to jump from no volume to loud at just 1.
Quote by The_Teleblaster
In that case, I agree, I think a Blues Junior or Pro Junior might be a good option. Or if you don't mind an amp that has a bit more bite and slightly less clean headroom, a Vox AC15C1 might be worth looking into. I tried one out, as well as an AC30 when I bought my Deluxe Reverb and thought it was quite a good amp for the money. I just personally preferred the Deluxe Reverb. If memory serves me correctly, Mick Jones from The Clash used a Vox, although I think it was an AC30, rather than an AC15, but yeah, an AC15 should get you in the ballpark of the tone that you want.

Nope, Plexis and Fender Twins.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Pretty long bump, but I still have a couple of questions.

I found a HRDx for sale for $350. I'm not sure whether it's a version 1 (USA made) or version 2 (Mexican made). I heard that since the version 1's have been around for longer, they might need to get maintained more, but whatever.

I heard that there's an issue with HRDx'es and the volume jumping from loud to ear piercing between one and two. Is that something to do with the taper on the volume pot? I heard that this was fixed in the third version, which I can vouch for, since I played one and was able to get it to 3 before it was too loud for Guitar Center.

I'm debating on whether or not to just save my cash and buy a HRDx III. Any suggestions?
Is this amp available for you to try out? If so go do that. If you're disappointed then look for something else.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
It's about an hour away on craigslist, and since I can't drive, I don't think I'd be able to go and just try it out, i'd have to be set on buying it.
You might as well save. The new HRDs supposedly fix a lot of the complaints people had with them.

Or you could get a JCA22 or something. They have clean channels.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Sorry for the bump again, but I was recently considering the Bugera V22, I've been listening to it and it sounds like it would be decent for my purposes, but I'm not exactly sure whether or not it would be a good choice. Any input?

EDIT: I figured that I should mention that it has everything that I would need, an effects loop, channel switching, and footswitchable reverb (unlike the HRDx) It's also pretty close to my price range, even new. I even found one on craigslist for $180.
Last edited by emerald876 at Jan 5, 2012,
I would be careful about being buying one on craigslist. A few years back these amps had some quality control issues and you could end up with 180 dollars up in flames. Literally.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I figured that I shouldn't buy any older Bugera used, since they had some major problems with reliability, so I'm going to buy one new if I decide on getting one. Could anyone give any more info whether or not it would fit the tone I'm shooting for? Since it's not real high gain, that's perfect, but I'm not sure I'd like the EL84's since I like the type of tone you get from 6V6es and 6L6es. Would I be able to swap them out for a pair of 6V6es since the Deluxe Reverb uses dual 6v6es and it's 22 watts as well?
Last edited by emerald876 at Jan 6, 2012,
Honestly I think you would be better finding a used HRD. My buddy plays in Ska Punk band and his tone is pretty beautiful. That being said he made a Spyder sound good.
Quote by barden1069
I was thinking about getting a HRD, but 40 watts is WAY more than I would ever need. I would barely turn it past 2.
I'm thinking about a Bugera V55HD and maybe a 2x12 cab actually, now. It has the triode mode which knocks it back to about 30 watts, and it also has a master volume, and is pretty damn affordable, using 6l6es, which I love the tone from. Anyone think that I should stay away from it?
I played ska, punk and reggae with a fender hot rod deville for 5 years, it's perfect for it. The deluxe would do you right and you would have the power in reserve for when you do want to jam with some people.
I might as well pick up the HRDx, but I was also thinking about cheaper alternatives, but everyone keeps saying that the HRDx would be the best for it, so I'm probably going with it. The only problem I have with it is that the first 2 versions had something to do with a linear taper on the volume pot, and the newer HRDx III has an audio taper. I heard that the older ones jump with the volume, and I don't want to battle it just to be able to play it at home.
Quote by emerald876
I was thinking about getting a HRD, but 40 watts is WAY more than I would ever need. I would barely turn it past 2.

You will if you are jamming with a drummer. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

An AC30 would be worth looking at too, they make a great Ska amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by emerald876
I might as well pick up the HRDx, but I was also thinking about cheaper alternatives, but everyone keeps saying that the HRDx would be the best for it, so I'm probably going with it. The only problem I have with it is that the first 2 versions had something to do with a linear taper on the volume pot, and the newer HRDx III has an audio taper. I heard that the older ones jump with the volume, and I don't want to battle it just to be able to play it at home.

You will not be disappointed. While I agree with the AC30 option that Cath through out as well I think that the HRD would give you some cash left over to at least get a distortion pedal which you'll probably need for Ska Punk
Quote by barden1069
Quote by emerald876

If you can't use a 40w amp, you can't use a 20w amp either. 40w is not much louder than 20. My friend's 15w Blues Junior could keep up pretty evenly with my 50w Valveking, although it got dirty a LOT faster.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I'm so surprised nobody has mentioned a power attenuator. I've never used one myself so I can't recommend anything specifically, but that should allow you to crank your amp and get good tube tones, but still be quiet enough for bedroom practice.

Am I right here or do I have a totally incorrect idea of what they do?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
I'm so surprised nobody has mentioned a power attenuator. I've never used one myself so I can't recommend anything specifically, but that should allow you to crank your amp and get good tube tones, but still be quiet enough for bedroom practice.

Am I right here or do I have a totally incorrect idea of what they do?

Not at all, cranking an amp and then attenuating it down to bedroom levels sounds just as crappy as playing the amp by itself at bedroom levels.

Power attenuators are more or less for cranking the hell out of an amp and bringing it down to something like gigging volumes or a bit less. Attenuators aren't a bedroom rockstars best friend, trust me, I've tried, specifically with an HRD. It just doesn't work.

On the subject of the hrd though, they have a nice clean channel, but unless the new ones are dramatically better (and I assume we're talking about an old one since its used) the drive channel is utter garbage. Plus they use these damn linear volume pots so its very hard to control the volume on the darned thing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah, attenuators are for doing things like cranking a Plexi up near 10 and then using the attenuator as a volume control to match the drummer, not the TV.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I found a Fender Blues Deville 4x10 on craigslist for $250. Should I pick it up? 60 watts, more than I wanted, but I figure that it's just more headroom that I can use for gigging.
Yes, but go check it out first and play it before you commit to buying.
Quote by barden1069
Too late, Blues Deville got sold. I'm back to thinking about the Bugera V55HD again, since the versatility of it is so vast. I don't like how the HRDx'es volume spikes between 1 and 2. I also don't like how the drive channel sounds on it, and the V55 has a much better drive channel, and the tone is the same type of 6L6 tone I enjoy.

It also has a master volume, unlike the HRDx, and a triode switch to knock it back to 30 watts. Does anyone honestly think that I should stay away from it?
The HRD does have a master. If it has gain and volume, then it's got a master volume.

I'd go for the V55 anyway though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
The master only controls the drive channel. I pretty much only have enough to get the head at the moment, but how cheap do you think I could possibly get a cab for, because if i get it, i'd be getting the head version.

I'd be willing to build my own cab as well.
Quote by emerald876
Too late, Blues Deville got sold. I'm back to thinking about the Bugera V55HD again, since the versatility of it is so vast. I don't like how the HRDx'es volume spikes between 1 and 2. I also don't like how the drive channel sounds on it, and the V55 has a much better drive channel, and the tone is the same type of 6L6 tone I enjoy.

It also has a master volume, unlike the HRDx, and a triode switch to knock it back to 30 watts. Does anyone honestly think that I should stay away from it?

I just don't see the Bugera as a gigworthy amp. But it seems you've convinced yourself against the HRD. Check out the Vox AC15
Quote by barden1069
i'm gonna recommend the blues jr. the thing is loud when you need it to be, and takes pedals wonderfully for when you can't be. plus, there's all kinds of mods n shit out there to open it up even more if you decide later down the road that you aren't getting the sound you want out of it.

plus, you can find them for ~$300 used all of the time
my shitty rig:
fender mim tele -> eqd hoof fuzz -> fender blues jr.
Quote by RealGuitarHero

I just don't see the Bugera as a gigworthy amp. But it seems you've convinced yourself against the HRD. Check out the Vox AC15

I'm not against the HRD, it's just that I'd rather not get a HRD version 1 or 2. I'd prefer the third incarnation of it since it doesn't jump on the volume knob. I don't like the drive channel very much either. But since I hardly find any HRD III's for sale on craigslist, I'd have to buy one new and that's a little out of my price range. It sucks being limited to what you can get.

I'm only thinking about the Bugera since it's well into my price range, and the drive sounds better, and it also has a few extra features that would make it better for me.
Last edited by emerald876 at Jan 11, 2012,
Page 1 of 2