What are the tonal difference in having pickups with covers or without them? Like, for the sake of discussion, two of the same pickup. On has a cover, the other doesnt. Im very curious. Thanks!!!
Physically, there'll be a cover in the way so you won't be able to raise it as high. Tonally, from what I remember of what the maker of Bareknuckle Pickups has said, that the cover ever so slightly softens the highs. That makes them ever so slightly warmer.

It makes sense if you think about it. Bass frequencies power through things, but higher frequencies are far more easily blocked. I haven't actually heard proper comparisons, so that's just what my knowledge of sound and a pickup maker tells me.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Physically, there'll be a cover in the way so you won't be able to raise it as high. Tonally, from what I remember of what the maker of Bareknuckle Pickups has said, that the cover ever so slightly softens the highs. That makes them ever so slightly warmer.

It makes sense if you think about it. Bass frequencies power through things, but higher frequencies are far more easily blocked. I haven't actually heard proper comparisons, so that's just what my knowledge of sound and a pickup maker tells me.

They do have an effect on the Highs, Tim compensates this by wiring it slightly different

The secret GUITAR TECHNIQUE of covering your pickups?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 1, 2011,
Not a very noticable effect unless you're really anal about it. But covers tend to soften highs by a tiny bit.

Personally, I prefer non covered. Ain't nothing' like '57 Classic Zebras.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I've heard the same things - you can get more volume without a cover because you can raise the pickup closer to the strings, and the cover slightly softens the highs. But we're talking minute differences here. It's not like a radical change in tone. Most people probably wouldn't even notice a difference.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2