Link

Even though this is just in one state, I think it's extremely weird.
Oh well.

Edit: To clarify, this was a state government decision, not central.
Last edited by luv090909 at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
How is it weird? It's not a new concept and it has seen nothing but overwhelming success so far.

Oh. Well this was the firm time I had heard of it. Googling around for more info.
it's not weird at all, hell we have methadone clinics here in the U.S. and to be clear methadone is not what's commonly called opium, its a drug commonly given to addicts to ease the withdrawal process, and curb cravings, it interacts with the same area of the brain but in a weaker, less dangerous way....... its just normal drug treatment
doesn't vancouver give heroin addicts free syringes??

or something
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by Bad Kharmel
it's not weird at all, hell we have methadone clinics here in the U.S. and to be clear methadone is not what's commonly called opium, its a drug commonly given to addicts to ease the withdrawal process, and curb cravings, it interacts with the same area of the brain but in a weaker, less dangerous way....... its just normal drug treatment

Quote by devourke

"Methadone Use for Pain Control May Result in Death and Life-Threatening Changes in Breathing and Heart Beat." The advisory went on to say that "the FDA has received reports of death and life-threatening side effects in patients taking methadone. These deaths and life-threatening side effects have occurred in patients newly starting methadone for pain control and in patients who have switched to methadone after being treated for pain with other strong narcotic pain relievers. Methadone can cause slow or shallow breathing and dangerous changes in heart beat that may not be felt by the patient."
Is it more dangerous than the illegal drugs that addicts are already taking? And taking into account what they have to do to get those drugs off the street
"Hey, you're addicted to sum bad drugs. Here's sum other drugs so you can get addicted to these instead of those bad drugs, mmkay?"

Quote by MangoStarr
doesn't vancouver give heroin addicts free syringes??

or something

I heard this at trivia and I think it's true, it's to prevent the spread of aids and stuff.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by Thrashtastic15
How is it weird? It's not a new concept and it has seen nothing but overwhelming success so far.

Ya! How could you make a thread like this! Don't you know everything that I know!?!? GRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by bastards
"Hey, you're addicted to sum bad drugs. Here's sum other drugs so you can get addicted to these instead of those bad drugs, mmkay?"

And then wean yourself off them in a much safer and government assisted way.
I think this is actually pretty dam smart and I will be following this with interest
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by devourke

Look, I believe in innocent until proven guilty. I give people benefit of the doubt way more than I should. I've never heard a bad idea I didn't like. I'm probably an optimist, especially by the Pit's standards.

But what are the honest odds that most people with an addiction are going to go "I'm going to use this free pipeline to the stuff I'm addicted to that makes me feel good until I don't have it - but that won't happen because I have a supply of it that's free and legal - in order to get myself clean"?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Look, I believe in innocent until proven guilty. I give people benefit of the doubt way more than I should. I've never heard a bad idea I didn't like. I'm probably an optimist, especially by the Pit's standards.

But what are the honest odds that most people with an addiction are going to go "I'm going to use this free pipeline to the stuff I'm addicted to that makes me feel good until I don't have it - but that won't happen because I have a supply of it that's free and legal - in order to get myself clean"?

Even if they're still fully addicted to the legally attainable methadone, it's still a better situation because now they're not trying to do anything they can think of in order to score their next fix.
Quote by devourke

Right, and Soboxin is less harmful than Heroin. Why would a junkie pay for something that they can get for free?
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by devourke
Even if they're still fully addicted to the legally attainable methadone, it's still a better situation because now they're not trying to do anything they can think of in order to score their next fix.

I agree, but I don't like the idea of tax dollars funding what seems like an endless - and very expensive - sink to me. I don't object to the idea of taxes, after all, the government needs to get money to pay for stuff somehow, but this seems like something that I just don't think will work as a government-funded initiative.

Quote by necrosis1193
I agree, but I don't like the idea of tax dollars funding what seems like an endless - and very expensive - sink to me. I don't object to the idea of taxes, after all, the government needs to get money to pay for stuff somehow, but this seems like something that I just don't think will work as a government-funded initiative.

Keeping people safe = Highest priority for anything.

idgaf about everything else as long as that's the number one priority of a government
Quote by devourke
Keeping people safe = Highest priority for anything.

idgaf about everything else as long as that's the number one priority of a government

It's not going to be very safe in the long-term if this causes heightened tax rates, which has been a pretty common cause for uproar(Not "viva revolution" uproar, but "Angry mob" uproar) in history, which will lead to discrimination and violence against the recipients of the program.

Quote by necrosis1193
It's not going to be very safe in the long-term if this causes heightened tax rates, which has been a pretty common cause for uproar(Not "viva revolution" uproar, but "Angry mob" uproar) in history, which will lead to discrimination and violence against the recipients of the program.

They could always shift around what they generally used the taxes for and it's probably likely that the addicts are already discriminated upon.
Quote by devourke
They could always shift around what they generally used the taxes for

It's not as simple as shifting things around - the money has to come from somewhere, either from the budget of something else, in which case "Hey, these druggies are taking away from the stuff that the rest of us enjoy from the government!", raising taxes, in which case "Hey, these druggies are making us pay for their addiction!", or the very rare case someone invents a new, much easier way of doing something very arduous and expensive, in which case "Sure, the money's freed up now"

It's not like they're just sitting on hundreds of thousands in tax dollars to use whenever new legislation comes in. The money's coming from somewhere, and the residents won't be happy about it.

and it's probably likely that the addicts are already discriminated upon.

There's a difference between "These scumbags are cluttering the city and making property value plummet" discrimination and "These scumbags are getting high off money that should be going to giving kids better schools and making roads safer" discrimination.

If it weren't such a big monetary sinkhole that'd be funded by tax money and therefore likely to cause some uproar, I'd be fine with it, but I just can't see this ending well.

Government: "here, take some opium to wean yourself off the body modifying drugs."
Druggie: "did somebody say druuugs!?"

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie