Im trying to harmonize the main riff in Technical Difficulties by Racer X, i have figured out pretty much everything except for the diminished arpeggio. The song is in Em and the notes that make up that arpeggio are A F# D# C. The note D# is not in Em so i dont know how to harmonize it.

Hope it makes sense, thanks!
Quote by tappooh
Im trying to harmonize the main riff in Technical Difficulties by Racer X, i have figured out pretty much everything except for the diminished arpeggio. The song is in Em and the notes that make up that arpeggio are A F# D# C. The note D# is not in Em so i dont know how to harmonize it.

Hope it makes sense, thanks!

D# is the seventh degree of the E Harmonic minor scale. Harmonize from this point and it'll yield the dim7 chord.

In minor keys, it's common to borrow notes from all 3 minor scales.
Last edited by mdc at Dec 1, 2011,
if you're harmonizing a run of notes (which I'm pretty sure technical difficulties is) the harmony is all minor thirds

F# for D#, A for F#, C for A, D# for C
Quote by TheWahoo95
if you're harmonizing a run of notes (which I'm pretty sure technical difficulties is) the harmony is all minor thirds

F# for D#, A for F#, C for A, D# for C

Why do you say its all minor thirds? I harmonized the Em scale, wrote down the chords and then harmonized in thirds some major and some minor depending on the chord. Is that wrong?
Quote by mdc
The dim7 arpeggio/chord is symmetrical in nature. It's built in m3rds.

Oh yes i know that, i didnt get it from his post because he never mentioned the dim arpeggio and i thought he meant run of notes in general.

Anyways thanks for the help, i will try that out later after lunch i guess.
Quote by mrbabo91
Isn't technical difficulties C lydian. Paul said so himself

No, it's in E minor, it starts on chord VI. Paul will be the first person to tell you he doesn't have a high knowledge of theory.