Looking at buying my first bass and a local store is giving out free Belcat 25w amps with entry level Yamaha basses.

My problem is that the highest quality bass they have this deal with is RBX374 but it does not have a natural finish option like the RBX270 has.

In your opinion is is worth buying the lower quality bass to get a preferred finish, is there much of a quality difference between those 2 basses?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Dec 1, 2011,
You should buy the guitar YOU like best, nobody else's opinion matters.

They're both entry level basses so there won't be that much difference between them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The better quality is not the thing you should worry about. The thing is that quality has nothing to do with what you like, except for the bad quality that almost breaks when you touch it. Get the one you like, not the one with the 'better' specs.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by dc13
Quality is more important.

They're both cheap Yamahas - the quality will be pretty much the same on both.

Entry level Yahama's tend to be quite well made, so the quality won't be an issue.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
there'll be a time for flashy guitars when you're rich, get the one that you identify with, if it's the shape, the tone, the nice pickups. Its your guitar, don't pick one you won't want after a month, you'll hopefully be playing it for years and you'll want to want it for years. kinda like a girlfriend.
christ no. get the better quality one. the flashy one is the blonde with the big tits, but a complete airhead. the better quality one is the petite brunette that wears her hair up all the time, but she's a monster in bed.
Personally, I think active vs. passive is a bigger decision issue than the finish.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the 374 has active pups and eq whereas the 270 is passive. Also, the 374 has dual humbuckers and the 270 is a P/J.

I hate batteries and like passive P/J's so I would pick the 270. I do believe the 270 is either discontinued or in the process of being discontinued though.

For you, if you like active controls then getting the 374 should be a no-braine
you shouldn't really buy a bass on the basis of a practice amp give away. 25W is really only good enough for solo practice and most of us have a practice amp like this which we never use after the first few weeks. You may be able to talk the shop into giving you one anyway if you want a better spec bass, after all you will be spending more money. get eh bass you want and look for a used practice amp if you need one.
I'm going to weigh in on this.

Which would you prefer to play? If you don't want to play one because of the colour, it won't help you learn. If it doesn't matter that much, then it won't really matter.

At the end of the day, whichever one you get, you will suffer from buyers remorse, and wish you bought the other. It's only natural.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
get the prettiest
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Depending on the store, maybe you could buy the bass get the freebie amp, then return the bass and choose the bass you really want if you don't really want a Yamaha.

Am I a terrible person?
Quote by askrere
Depending on the store, maybe you could buy the bass get the freebie amp, then return the bass and choose the bass you really want if you don't really want a Yamaha.

Am I a terrible person?

If you returned the guitar, they'd want the amp back as well. They would know you got it free because it was on the same receipt.

You could try it, but you'd have to find a really brainless idiot in the shop to get away with it.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by random_B-RAD
Looking at buying my first bass and a local store is giving out free Belcat 25w amps with entry level Yamaha basses.

Those Belcats that come with the Yamaha's from Kosmic (I'm Perth, Aus too ) are god awful. I own the RBX270, and the 375 (5 string version of the 374) and can tell you they are both very good basses. I find the 375 to be more versatile, and a little louder when turned right up than the 270 (because of the active pickups i think) but the 270 is a lot lighter, and tends to be a little warmer in tone.

Either way I highly recommend shopping around, and trying to get a deal done on your stuff. If you decide on the RBX 270, check out Mega Music in Myaree or Wangara. When I got mine I got a strap, lead, 15w Ashton amp (better than the Belcat afaik) and a drop in price to $350, compared to kosmic's $400. If you decide on the RBX374, give Music Park in Victoria Park a call, I got mine with a strap and tuner for $500, compared to kosmic at $650 and then just pick up a little VOX Pathfinder 10 or Fender Rumble 15 both of which should be better than that Belcat, you might even get Music park to do you a deal on the 374 and a small amp.
Quote by GaryBillington
You could try it, but you'd have to find a really brainless idiot in the shop to get away with it.

Guitar Centre then?