Hi guys,

I am learning to play guitar by myself for about a year now .. I could play simple chord songs but my heart is always in metal .. metallica . .megadeth .. lamb of god ...

I practiced and now can play rythm parts (no solos yet) of songs like enter sandman, seek and destroy. medusa, symphony of destruction etc etc....

But now i am confused as where to go next .. and been wandering here and there (practically wasting time).. solos are all hard ..

What can be the next step for me to improve .. specific songs which are harder or some easy solos to start with .... help ....!!
Did you learn to run and jump as a baby or did you learn to walk first?
The first thing you read was an 600 page novel or a short story?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
Did you learn to run and jump as a baby or did you learn to walk first?
The first thing you read was an 600 page novel or a short story?

So basically you are saying is to stay where I am and continue perfecting that ... ok ..
then how much time you say I should spend at this stage before moving ahead ..

I don't think I am going too fast but you are the masters ..
Dude I think what he is saying is that you can do what you are doing now but try to learn less complex and shorter solo's that aren't so difficult
The guitar has been my best friend since I was 9 years old. I have spent more time with my instrument than any human being.
Quote by MetalNova
Dude I think what he is saying is that you can do what you are doing now but try to learn less complex and shorter solo's that aren't so difficult

That's what exactly I am asking ... but which ones ??... the ones I picked were either simple or very hard or boring (not my type) ...

Enter sandman solo is not very hard. High speed dirt solo is not very hard either if you are looking for things by Metallica or Megadeth but they are still kind of speedy and you will have a sense of accomplishment with them after you are done. Plus if you learn the solo to Enter Sandman it is a well known piece by a lot of people, so you can be one of those douchebags who plays it constantly infront of their friends in guitar stores.
Quote by Jemstar
so you can be one of those douchebags who plays it constantly infront of their friends in guitar stores.

That doesn't sound too comforting ....
Wow, great responces so far guys. Way to go.

If you want to learn to solo, you're gunna have to start with songs where the solos are easy and/or boring, and work your way up. Start with really simple ones, such as Smells Like teen Spirit, then move onto harder ones such as Enter Sandman (as has been suggested).

If you want some solos to learn, just type 'easy solos' or 'intermediate solos' into google
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Alternatively you could start with more lead-focused riffs, which are generally easier than solos to learn as they're structured in a more obvious way, and the repetition while playing along will help drill it in a bit more. Some examples off the top of my head:

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
Plug in Baby - Muse
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns n Roses
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
Cochise - Audioslave
Texas Flood (or just pretty much anything by) - Stevie Ray Vaughan (actually I'm not sure I'd call this riffs it's more like a huge solo :P)

Sorry they're not necessarily appropriate examples, I couldn't think of many off the top of my head. Still, you get what I mean.. hopefully..
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 1, 2011,
Blackened gave some nice examples.

But as far as what to learn it comes down to what inspires you, i indeed adviced you to stay within your technical reach and try to perfect what you already have. ( it is always ok to push yourself but dont try to run without being able to walk first. )

Try the easiest piece you like, play it perfectly.. keep moving to more difficult things.
Everything is more stable if the foundations are solid.

Move ahead when you are so comfortable with something that you can play it almost unconsciously.. do not practice mistakes or bad habits.

Although you could actually muscle your way through all those crazy hardass solos, i recommend that you go step by step to make the process smoother, faster and more enjoyable.

Im sure you enjoy a huge load of music that inspires you , otherwise you wouldnt be playing an instrument

So make a list and decide what is within your reach. Hang on, practice and be patient.
Best of luck.

----

LOL @ the douchebags comment, i find myself wanting to punch some people in the face, not because every time i go into a music store 7 kids are playing metallica and other 7 are playing some chord+pentatonic scale with their wrist about to break from bad posture. BUT because they get the biggest amp they find and turn the volume up to 6+.. i might be a pussy but my ears are way too valuable and i try not to disturb people on the room by incresaing the volume past 2.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 1, 2011,
Get Back by the Beatles is a great starter solo. Not metal, but will get you on your way.
Yeah, sounds like your main thing is that you wanna play something exciting and impressive, however, the exciting and impressive stuff comes later. Megadeth may not be an ideal place to start, as they have some tough phrases if I remember (not listened to them for years), Metallica solos are generally pretty simple, however, I'm gonna point you in the direction I went in for my first solo; Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden. It just clicked with me, and it was brilliant when I had it. I'd suggest learning an intermediate solo like that, halving the speed and going up, get used to that process, because as your soloing progresses, you'll find that you'll spend more time in front of a metronome. Doubly true for me, as I'm a Power Metal guy, I've recently been metronome-grinding to do Revolution Deathsquad by Dragonforce, because why the bloody hell not? Challenge yourself, metronome some stuff, and soon you'll be able to play these songs. I'd recommend running technical exercises and learning the techniques, then applying them, instead of winging everything as it comes.
Thanks you all guys ..

I think I will start with the she-wolf solo .. sounds simple and sounds good ....
Hallowed be thy name and get back are next on my list ...

I think I need to be patient and practice focused ...
Quote by happyguitarist
But now i am confused as where to go next .. and been wandering here and there (practically wasting time).. solos are all hard ..

What can be the next step for me to improve .. specific songs which are harder or some easy solos to start with .... help ....!!

I'd stay away from most Megadeth solos in particular for now, simply because Marty Friedman has such a unique (weird) style. Start with some more standard stuff and everything should be easier.

A couple Metallica ones I'd recommend would be the clean solo from Master of Puppets, the intro to Fade to Black or One. You could probably work on all of the lead parts for One, but the last one would be a decent challenge at this level - the solo for Sad but True could also work for you, and it'll introduce you to some commonly used lead licks.

I don't know if the song or solo is up your alley, but Dream Theater's These Walls has an easy solo that fits the song really, really well (solo's at 4:38): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzovR0s7EbI

Quote by Slashiepie
i might be a pussy but my ears are way too valuable and i try not to disturb people on the room by incresaing the volume past 2.

Thought I was the only one.
Quote by :-D
Ihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzovR0s7EbI

Thought I was the only one.

We are a breed in exctintion , last time i was at the store only me and a really old man had the volume low and sat close to the amp to listen to it.. wonder if all the br00tal kids know that their cilias wont regenerate..
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 2, 2011,