Hi. I'm looking for simply the best amp for use with effects pedals. In other words, I want the amp to give an excellent clean an un-tampered-with sound, so that I can use distortion, reverb, etc. pedals with it. Cost is in no way an issue Any thoughts?

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Im not so sure about the highend stuff but my blackstar has an incredible sound for the money i paid for it. Very clean cleans and reacts very well with the pedals and multieffects ive thrown through it. The ISF is also a great feature for dialing in the sound in your head.
Cost is no issue? Dumble ODS with a Klon in the loop of a Tim.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by monwobobbo
Fender Twin

+1!

most Fender tube amps will give you excellent cleans and take pedals well, but the twin is probably the best for what you want to do
Jc -120
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
Jc -120
This. Probably the most transparent guitar amplifier you can get if you plan to use just pedals.

But if you can afford a good tube amp with good drive, why spend all the money on a pure clean amp to use only with a bunch of shitty distortion pedals?
Fender blackface Twin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Fender blackface Twin.

yep, the silverface years are kind of a black eye to the Fender reputation IMHO

My favorite amps are the twin, super, and the Vox's AC30 - all with pristine cleans.

I wish I had a DrZ though: http://www.drzamps.com/
Quote by phoenix_crush
Can't a silverface Twin be easily modded to blackface specs?

shhhh you'll drive up the prices before i get a silverface
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by tubetime86

lol sounds fun....I do have a question about this seriously.

Would doing that be ok and safe?

Lets take the Dumble out of the equation to be realistic, using the klon in the loop of a Tim.

For some reason i think it would do more harm? Having 2 od pedals going?

What do u guys think
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
lol sounds fun....I do have a question about this seriously.

Would doing that be ok and safe?

Lets take the Dumble out of the equation to be realistic, using the klon in the loop of a Tim.

For some reason i think it would do more harm? Having 2 od pedals going?

What do u guys think

An OD in the loop is one of the most common uses of the Tim's loop. I've heard of people putting a Timmy in the loop.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
SRV used to run two tubescreamers in series all the time. You can boost the crap out of your signal without doing any damage. You are limited by a 9V supply in the pedal. Maybe if you ran a boost with a 100V supply you could get into strife but even then it's unlikely to actually hurt anything, just sound shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the advice everyone Sounds to me like the Fender Twin is the best option (plus it's easy to find one to have a trial with....)

Edit: Fender blackface twin

Gear:

Quote by Xiaoxi
Twin sounds good, AC30 sounds good too. AC30 has chime though

Quote by tubetime86

Needs more Klon, just ask Tim.
Quote by tubetime86

Sorry to be a noob here.... but I literally understand none of that....

Also (and I realise I'll probably get shot for asking such a stupid question), is a blackface twin the same as a blackface twin reverb?

Gear:

Quote by Xiaoxi
Last edited by ewashbrook at Dec 7, 2011,
It does kinda sound like he made up a bunch of words and pieced them together to form a nonsensical sentence.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
It does kinda sound like he made up a bunch of words and pieced them together to form a nonsensical sentence.

Agreed!

Gear:

Quote by Xiaoxi
What you need to do is get a Minotaur and run it into the front end of a yellow face Dweezil with a Double dong on crunch mode in the loop. Put that in series with a fallafel drive, and you've got one sweet rig.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Seriously, if you use overdrive, get an amp with overdrive.

Apart from anything else, if an amp is designed to sound good with clean tones, it won't be as suitable for heavier stuff - so when you turn on your pedal it might seem a bit bright/harsh/fizzy. The speakers, preamp and other components will be voiced to make clean tones sound good.

A Mesa Boogie would be a good bet for you, since they generally have crisp, clear clean channels that respond well to pedals - but also dirty channels with tons of distortion on tap. They also generally have good reverb and FX loops, which covers just about everything.
sunn
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by kyle62

Apart from anything else, if an amp is designed to sound good with clean tones, it won't be as suitable for heavier stuff - so when you turn on your pedal it might seem a bit bright/harsh/fizzy. The speakers, preamp and other components will be voiced to make clean tones sound good.

A Mesa Boogie would be a good bet for you, since they generally have crisp, clear clean channels that respond well to pedals - but also dirty channels with tons of distortion on tap. They also generally have good reverb and FX loops, which covers just about everything.
This. So much this.
Quote by kyle62

This is kinda silly. It all depends on the amp, pedals, and how much gain. Obviously, using a pedal into a twin to play grindcore or death metal or something would be silly, but if you don't need that much gain, there's no reason not to do this. I could name a plethora of well-known players that just use pedals into a clean amp and sound great.
Fender Bassman LTD, or if you have the Money get a Victoria PnP Wired Bassman Clone....and if Money seriously is not an issue...get an original 59' Bassman!

Fender Bassman lacks reverb and an fx loop its similar to a Plexi with the Normal 1&2 and Bright 1&2 able to be Jumped to combine them and with Humbuckers a Jumped Bassman gets dirty really fast...LOUD as @#$% but sounds great. the Lack of Reverb makes it a good pedal amp, Holy Grail verb goes well with it etc etc.
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by phoenix_crush
This is kinda silly. It all depends on the amp, pedals, and how much gain. Obviously, using a pedal into a twin to play grindcore or death metal or something would be silly, but if you don't need that much gain, there's no reason not to do this. I could name a plethora of well-known players that just use pedals into a clean amp and sound great.
I totally get your point - I could name a ton of players too (SRV being one of them, and Satch possibly). Pedals into a clean amp can get you great lead tones especially, but for rock rhythm, preamp valve overdrive just sounds better.

Also, Marshall Major ftw.
Quote by ewashbrook
Cost is in no way an issue

Buy every amp you want.
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Whether a Twin is the best is very questionable. If you are ever looking to get hard rock distortion (or heavier) then it is far from a wise choice. A lot of drive pedals sound absolutely horrendous through a Twin. What amp would be best is really going to depend on what specific tones you're needing to get.
Quote by ewashbrook
Sorry to be a noob here.... but I literally understand none of that....

Also (and I realise I'll probably get shot for asking such a stupid question), is a blackface twin the same as a blackface twin reverb?

a blackface twin is indeed a twin reverb the blackface just refers to a marking on the amp that was used in the 60s (silverface is 70s, this is a basic description as i don't the exact years for each).

Dumble is an amp best known for being used by stevie ray vaughn and robben ford. they are stupid expensive (think $25,000+ range). a klon is a very expensive overdrive and the tim(my) is also a high end overdrive.
Quote by kyle62

This and absolutely this.

I had to use a Fender Hotrod Deluxe to record a demo with my band in August. It was a horrid idea. I didn't have any other options, though. Long story short, my college ****ed me out of more money and I couldn't afford the amp I wanted, so i had to have the drummer's dad borrow an amp from the store he works at and the heaviest amp he could get me was that.

I ran my DegiTech Hardwire TL-2 through it. I tried to use it as a boost, but that sounded worse that just using the pedal for my distortion. It was very fizzy, thin, harsh, and bright. I only had the gain about halfway up, and it sounded SUPER gainy. If I turned it down, though, it got even more thin and it sounded worse. If you want an example, I can give you a link to our stuff on Youtube, but I'm not gonna advertise it without reason.
Thanks for all the advice guys

I probably should explain, I'm looking for an amp which I can use for a wide range of tones, but mostly Van Halen-ish style lead playing.

If I do go with the clean amp + pedals choice I'd be using a Radial London Distortion.

However, if I choose to go with amp-driven overdrive, would a Peavey 5150 III be any good? (and yes, I only say that because it's got EVH style stripes all over it.... )

Gear:

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by ewashbrook
Thanks for all the advice guys

I probably should explain, I'm looking for an amp which I can use for a wide range of tones, but mostly Van Halen-ish style lead playing.

If I do go with the clean amp + pedals choice I'd be using a Radial London Distortion.

However, if I choose to go with amp-driven overdrive, would a Peavey 5150 III be any good? (and yes, I only say that because it's got EVH style stripes all over it.... )

Get the 5150 III

It's outstanding.

/thread
Quote by Blktiger0
Get the 5150 III

It's outstanding.

/thread

+1

If you want to save money, Bugera do a very good copy of the 5150 called the 6260 (ah, I see what you did there hur hur)