I recently bought the Line 6 HD500 ($600!) and must say through headphones, this thing sounds like crap! Through a PA, it sounds amazing. But I mainly wanted it for recording. Ive been doing recording for months now, but the one question I still have, is "what does the actual recording actually sound like?!" If I make a ton e on the HD500 and play through speakers it sounds great, but when recording it sounds like crap even though its the same tone! Would buying a good pair of monitors make my finished recording sound good when I take the MP3 and play it in my car, or through a stereo?? I want my recording to sound good when I make it an MP3 and play it through a stereo. Would monitors make the difference??
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Many amps can sound like shit through headphones.
If you want to record, then I'd suggest a good mic. THere is other options like using a cable, but you need more equipment and if you just have the cable it would sound almost just as bad as with your headphones.
Are you using Cab simulations? On my POD, the amp tone with no cab sounds like arse but with a cab, it sounds good. I reckon its either that or bad headphones :P
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
in answer to one of your questions OP, no, changing the speakers that your computer uses will not change the quality of sound if you play the file in your car...
Well even when I used the X3 and recorded through headphone, the tone and sometimes the leveling sounded very different when I unplugged the headphones and played it back through the computer speakers. Someone said "you must have really bad headphones", well that would imply that what I am playing through DOES make a difference. So, what SHOULD I be doing? What gives the "true" sound?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by theknuckster
in answer to one of your questions OP, no, changing the speakers that your computer uses will not change the quality of sound if you play the file in your car...

although it will let him EQ it better so technically yeah it will help the quality.

expensive monitors will give you "uncolored" sound, but everything else will remain "colored". your car, headphones, etc. are all "colored". But EQing it on something "uncolored" (or to not get Disarm's panties in a bunch "flat" which is the correct term) will help even out the coloring and make it less effective.

This is essentially the pros of having monitors.

EDIT: With all of this said if TS is comparing playing live over a PA and recording over headphones...this is another issue as recording and live playing tones are two seperate entities.
Last edited by FireHawk at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
although it will let him EQ it better so technically yeah it will help the quality.

expensive monitors will give you "uncolored" sound, but everything else will remain "colored". your car, headphones, etc. are all "colored". But EQing it on something "uncolored" (or to not get Disarm's panties in a bunch "flat" which is the correct term) will help even out the coloring and make it less effective.

This is essentially the pros of having monitors.

EDIT: With all of this said if TS is comparing playing live over a PA and recording over headphones...this is another issue as recording and live playing tones are two seperate entities.
So, bottom line what do you suggest??
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
So, bottom line what do you suggest??

That guy was right, bottom line. Stop using shitty headphones.

The only "true" way to compare what your product is going to sound like is to have 100 different cd players, then tweak until you can get the "best overall" sound.

Belive it or not thats what big name studios do or used to before they nailed it.

When you mic a cab it is NOT going to sound exactly the same after you record.

Good mics, less gain and lots of experimenting is really the only way to solve the issue.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
That guy was right, bottom line. Stop using shitty headphones.

The only "true" way to compare what your product is going to sound like is to have 100 different cd players, then tweak until you can get the "best overall" sound.

Belive it or not thats what big name studios do or used to before they nailed it.

When you mic a cab it is NOT going to sound exactly the same after you record.

Good mics, less gain and lots of experimenting is really the only way to solve the issue.
Just to clarify, Im not micing, I am plugging in through USB.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
PODs have different output modes for recording and live playing; for live playing there is no cab simulation because you're either playing through a cab, speaker, etc. When you're recording you will need to enable the cab simulation so you're not getting the raw sound from the preamp of the head alone. I don't know how to do that on your specific model but just check the manual.

edit: to clarify, that's why it sounds good through the PA, but the headphones that are monitoring the preamp signal from the POD sound like crap.
Let's party.
Last edited by Odirunn at Dec 1, 2011,
Just to clarify, I guess my question is this:

Say I take a tone on the HD500 and record through the USB without even listening to what I am playing...what way did it just record the preset? The way it sounds through the headphones, or the way it sounds through speakers??
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone

Say I take a tone on the HD500 and record through the USB without even listening to what I am playing...what way did it just record the preset? The way it sounds through the headphones, or the way it sounds through speakers??

Through Headphones for the most part.
When ever I track guitars, I usually go to my headphones for a more "Accurate" sound even though I know the signal will sound different when played through different mediums. Alot of the time when you are getting a bad tone, it's typically because of the eq in which not only do I use the Amp Sim's EQ but also an eq plugin to nuke what ever I don't want. Then double track that bad boy.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by 365_days_gone

I record using headphones because to me, that helps me find the best sound. Once iv done that, I usually export the file into iTunes and windows media player and see how the levels and stuff sound through speakers.

Can you upload a sample of the tone your getting. We can then use our speakers to see what you mean and suggest things
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I use headphones all the time now - sounds awesome. I use a $40 pair of Koss (nothing expensive or fancy) but I love the sound I get. I can crank up the volume and wail - without disturbing the wife. I get great bass and highs too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The problem with headphones is they're far too direct; the sound is right next to your ear, getting pushed in from both sides.
In the real world, your amp would be in a room in front of you, and naturally that completely changes the way it reaches your ears, cutting down some of the harsh frequencies. Google 'HRTF' if you want to know the surprisingly interesting science behind it all.

This is the reason I use software modelling on the computer if I have to play through headphones. With software you've got compete control over the stereo field. In Amplitube 3 there's some excellent cab controls which let you simulate the amp in front of you in a room, which feels much more comfortable and natural.
I haven't used the current generation PODs but there's a good chance they have some options for this sort of thing.
I have a feeling the problem maybe with your recording software. What program are you using?
Wait, you bought a $500 modelling unit for $600?

Wuuuuuut?
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R