Hey all,

So I'm new to guitar (primarily acoustic) and I'm trying to branch out and play something besides A,G,C, you know the drill. Here's the problem. Whenever I try to play barre chords, or anything that requires a ton of movement, my left hand hurts. The pain is concentrated around my wrist, but shoots up to my fingers and down to my forearm. On a scale of 1-10, it's about a 4, so enough to be annoying/make me stop playing. Additionally, it always feels like I need to use a ton of pressure to play a note.

What's the issue? Do I need to do exercises or something? Am I holding the damn thing wrong? I have never had any problem with my hands, except for a slightly weaker than average pincer grip.

So, HALP.

-Em
Quote by holachica
Hey all,

So I'm new to guitar (primarily acoustic) and I'm trying to branch out and play something besides A,G,C, you know the drill. Here's the problem. Whenever I try to play barre chords, or anything that requires a ton of movement, my left hand hurts. The pain is concentrated around my wrist, but shoots up to my fingers and down to my forearm. On a scale of 1-10, it's about a 4, so enough to be annoying/make me stop playing. Additionally, it always feels like I need to use a ton of pressure to play a note.

What's the issue? Do I need to do exercises or something? Am I holding the damn thing wrong? I have never had any problem with my hands, except for a slightly weaker than average pincer grip.

So, HALP.

-Em

What's your action like ?
Either your action is really high or you're just experiencing one of the normal beginner's problems. It will take a while to figure out exactly how much pressure you need to apply to be able to play for hours without much hassle. It will come in time with practice as your muscles get used to the guitar.
Quote by mrbabo91
What's your action like ?

It's like 4mm on the 12th fret. I don't know if that's high or not.
Stop playing, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg Take a couple of days out and go back to it with a view to improving your posture.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
be sure you're not using too much pressure, especially with the thumb. 10 years of that is coming back to bite me in the ass right now, I'm about to spend the next month and a half trying to fix this technique
Be extremely carful with that kind of pain, anything shooting up like that up to your fingers is a sign of either carpal tunnel , nerve inflammation or tendonitis.

If you have to relearn all your technique.. do it, it is worth every second.
You dont really want to compromise your tendons mate will cost you a long time away from the guitar and a lot of problems in the future.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.