Page 1 of 3
It confuses the hell out of me. I assume most players drop tune to get a lower/heavier tone right?

Or maybe you just only play in drop who the hell knows, but with that said isnt the whole point of a 7 to get that extra low?

So why would you drop tune a 7 (other than the fact you cant play standard) why not just get an 8?

It really makes no sense to me at all someone please explain.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
I think the question is, why not?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by maddnotez
So why would you drop tune a 7 (other than the fact you cant play standard) why not just get an 8?

so much fail in one post, that part especially.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Because alternate tunings change the way you play and compose? FFS, that's like asking "Why tune a guitar to Open-C-tuning?"
Why would you drop tune an 8? Why not just buy a bass?

Anywhoo, OP: different tunings often create different compositional outcomes from musicians. A different tuning often has a distinctive sound, or is more appropriate for a slide or heavy drop-d style riffs.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 1, 2011,
Why even live? Why not suicide? These are questions that pop up in my head after I've tuned down 7 and not 6 or 8.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
For pretty much the same reason that you would drop tune a regular six-string - it makes it possible to play power chords by simply barring across the bottom three strings, which is great for styles of music which incorporate power chord heavy riffs like metal. Also if you wanted to play in A major or minor that low A note would be pretty useful.
I don't think you're familiar enough with the concept of range or playing in different keys, tunings TC. Then again, it doesn't help when a bunch of lame wannabe metal bands use 7 strings like 6 strings, except they never touch the higher strings anyways.
Quote by Nietsche
For pretty much the same reason that you would drop tune a regular six-string - it makes it possible to play power chords by simply barring across the bottom three strings, which is great for styles of music which incorporate power chord heavy riffs like metal. Also if you wanted to play in A major or minor that low A note would be pretty useful.

Everyone says this, that it's easier for power chords, and it's definitely true, but I love drop tuning because it gives the strong octave-fifth root, and allows you to do a lot of creative chord forms all based around there. Drop tuning has dramatically helped my knowledge of chord structure.
Quote by maddnotez
isnt the whole point of a 7 to get that extra low?

No it isn't.

It's about getting more scale shapes to some people, because you can play more complex/different intervals with a 7 string because of the extra string. However others do want more low notes. For the first group of people they drop tune because they only need 7 strings, and since 8s are more expensive it's stupid to get one if you aren't gonna effectively use that 8th string.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
TS, have you ever played an 8 string? It's a totally different instrument. A 7 string drop-tuned still resembles playing an ordinary guitar. Unless you really need it, an 8 string is just madness
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Why tune your six string down? Just get a seven string.

Why tune your seven string down? Just get an eight string.

Why play an eight string? Just get a six string bass.

Why play a six string bass? Just play a rubber band on a log.

Why play a rubber band on a log? Just growl gutturally.

See how this works when we use your line of thought?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Why do you need seven strings if you can't play six?

-Dimebag Darrell on nu metal
Quote by maddnotez
So what are a few bands that drop tune a 7?

Starting to think this thread is here because TS plays a 7 string and tunes it down, and is trying to get 'what song to learn' suggestions.'

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Why do you need seven strings if you can't play six?

-Dimebag Darrell on nu metal
i always loved this quote.

but once you get decent with 6 strings and start using that 7 string it opens up a new way of playing.... personally i want an 8 string guitar but i need to get a new jarb before i make any major purchases like that
Quote by blake1221
Everyone says this, that it's easier for power chords, and it's definitely true, but I love drop tuning because it gives the strong octave-fifth root, and allows you to do a lot of creative chord forms all based around there. Drop tuning has dramatically helped my knowledge of chord structure.

not to mention that the octave/fifth/root makes certain arpeggios and chords easily possible on the in the low register that otherwise would be damn near impossible due to long stretches, such as playing:

D---8---
A---4---
E---2---

that would be very difficult to play. you could always play the Bb at the 3rd fret on the G string, but that would require muting the D string, which doesn't sound as good when you play with heavy distortion. by dropping the low string, it makes it possible even without big hands:

D---8---
A---4---
D---4---

that's written out for a 6 string, but can apply to drop A on a 7 string, or any other drop tuning.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Dec 1, 2011,
Periphery tunes to drop g# learn everyone of their songs
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by z4twenny
i always loved this quote.

but once you get decent with 6 strings and start using that 7 string it opens up a new way of playing.... personally i want an 8 string guitar but i need to get a new jarb before i make any major purchases like that

Thats a very good quote.

I have had a 7 and wasnt really for me.

So haters please list some good bands that drop tune a 7. Unearth to me was the only halfway good band and they tune standard.

To the other guy no I have never used an 8. The only person I have ever heard do it tastefully was Dino.

And to Startoblaster: no one is using that mindset. I asked why in hopes of a better understanding. Your answering a question with a question dumbass.. You have had the worst reply so far. I bet Periphery is your fav band.

This thread may not be for people who only chug on the guitar
Quote by theogonia777
not to mention that the octave/fifth/root makes certain arpeggios and chords easily possible on the in the low register that otherwise would be damn near impossible due to long stretches, such as playing:

D---8---
A---4---
E---2---

that would be very difficult to play. you could always play the Bb at the 3rd fret on the G string, but that would require muting the D string, which doesn't sound as good when you play with heavy distortion. by dropping the low string, it makes it possible even without big hands:

D---8---
A---4---
D---4---

that's written out for a 6 string, but can apply to drop A on a 7 string, or any other drop tuning.

You just.....get me....man.
I know it's not really the point of discussion here, but I do love it when some drop tune haters flame that "it just makes playing power chords easier, you know, if you're not good enough to play in standard", as if playing power chords in standard was significantly harder. What tuning people play in has nothing to do with being a good or a bad guitarist - it goes way beyond what your hands can do, and to me, is way more about what's in your head and whether or not you possess the necessary tools to extract that out of there.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by maddnotez
Thats a very good quote.

I have had a 7 and wasnt really for me.

A)So haters please list some good bands that drop tune a 7. Unearth to me was the only halfway good band and they tune standard.

To the other guy no I have never used an 8. The only person I have ever heard do it tastefully was Dino.

B)And to Startoblaster: no one is using that mindset. I asked why in hopes of a better understanding. Your answering a question with a question dumbass.. You have had the worst reply so far. I bet Periphery is your fav band.

C)This thread may not be for people who only chug on the guitar

I've lettered your replies for easier dissection.

A)Periphery, Animals As Leaders, Karnivool can be done on a 7 string, Meshuggah, and that should be about all the reason you need, really, seeing as how they've all used 7 strings tuned low in different ways at some point in their discography.

B) You're using that mindset, and most everyone here saw it almost immediately. The point is because they like it; pretty much the same reason you don't. I didn't think something as simple as preference needed a deepened philosophical discussion to provoke basic understanding. And yes, I answered your question with a question, several actually, to make a point which you picked up on and understood. This is called discussion; a concept which often encompasses concepts like questions and answers when seeking better understanding or clarification.

And that bolded word? That should've been you're, not your. Your shows possession; such as "That is your house, my good friend!" You're is a conjugation of the words 'you' and 'are', and is meant to describe what someone else is doing, such as "You're cussing at me and calling me names because you don't have a solid point to use as a rebuttal."

C) Suggesting that because someone uses a low tuned guitar, whether it be with six, seven, or eight strings, they're 'chugging' all the time, is about as naive as it gets. Just saying.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I know it's not really the point of discussion here, but I do love it when some drop tune haters flame that "it just makes playing power chords easier, you know, if you're not good enough to play in standard", as if playing power chords in standard was significantly harder. What tuning people play in has nothing to do with being a good or a bad guitarist - it goes way beyond what your hands can do, and to me, is way more about what's in your head and whether or not you possess the necessary tools to extract that out of there.

Well no one is hating. I actually tune in Drop C on my 6 string.

Drop tuning DOES make power chords easier, but then in turn makes reverse power chords harder.
Because playing in drop is trendy and makes it easier for bad guitar players to play cool sounding riffs.
Check out my band Disturbed
I personally drop tune one of my guitars to A, because I'm left handed and can't afford a 7-string. Do you know how rare it is to even FIND one in lefty?
Quote by StewieSwan
Because playing in drop is trendy and makes it easier for bad guitar players to play cool sounding riffs.

I always thought crap sounded like crap, no matter what tuning it was in

It's not like playing in G is going to cover up someone's crappy riffs or basic lack of understanding for how to write them or songs. It just sounds lower and more thick.

Playing in a low tuning isn't the panacea for bad technique; it's just low tuned bad technique.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I've lettered your replies for easier dissection.

A)Periphery, Animals As Leaders, Karnivool can be done on a 7 string, Meshuggah, and that should be about all the reason you need, really, seeing as how they've all used 7 strings tuned low in different ways at some point in their discography.

B) You're using that mindset, and most everyone here saw it almost immediately. The point is because they like it; pretty much the same reason you don't. I didn't think something as simple as preference needed a deepened philosophical discussion to provoke basic understanding. And yes, I answered your question with a question, several actually, to make a point which you picked up on and understood. This is called discussion; a concept which often encompasses concepts like questions and answers when seeking better understanding or clarification.

And that bolded word? That should've been you're, not your. Your shows possession; such as "That is your house, my good friend!" You're is a conjugation of the words 'you' and 'are', and is meant to describe what someone else is doing, such as "You're cussing at me and calling me names because you don't have a solid point to use as a rebuttal."

C) Suggesting that because someone uses a low tuned guitar, whether it be with six, seven, or eight strings, they're 'chugging' all the time, is about as naive as it gets. Just saying.

WOW here we go with grammar school, I called you a dumbass simply because your a dumbass..Do you have any clips of you playing your 7 string? Am eager to hear.

I guess dropping your 7 could be as easy as preference, but we are talking about guitar. Its an instrument which in your words needs a deepened philosophical discussion to provoke basic understanding.

Sooo Hence my thread. If there is no deep (musical) reason, than it comes down to preference. And I prefer people that think Periphery is the best band in the world to kill themselves.
Quote by StewieSwan

my kind of guy. Thanks
Quote by strat0blaster
:

ooooh, burrn!
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Page 1 of 3