Epiphone really needs to work on their photography. Most of their guitars look incredibly cheap in pictures, even if they don't in person.

And I'm interested. I'll hafta check one of those out. Could be fun to mod the hell out of one, or just give it some decent pickups.
Mmmm, that sunburst one looks *NICE*...any lefty ones, per chance?
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
This is somewhat old news. But we are in kind of a great time for Epi semi and fully hollows right now. There are versions of the 339 plus limited editions of 345s and 355s out these days. Plus a version of the ES 175 you can get cheap. Plus all the usual Dots and Sheratons. And the Riviera, and the Swingster Royale. A lot of nice stuff there.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by Spud Spudly
This is somewhat old news. But we are in kind of a great time for Epi semi and fully hollows right now. There are versions of the 339 plus limited editions of 345s and 355s out these days. Plus a version of the ES 175 you can get cheap. Plus all the usual Dots and Sheratons. And the Riviera, and the Swingster Royale. A lot of nice stuff there.

Yeah I really would like a ES-175, but most of the epi semi-hollows are pretty decent. I used to have the old Flame Kat, great rockabilly guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Flying Couch
Epiphone really needs to work on their photography. Most of their guitars look incredibly cheap in pictures, even if they don't in person.

And I'm interested. I'll hafta check one of those out. Could be fun to mod the hell out of one, or just give it some decent pickups.

This. Most Epi's look great in person, but they seriously look like junk online. I think in some ways it goes for any guitar, but the Gibson equivalents always look much better in the ads and online stores and such.

I've never seen a 339 in person but in a lot of pictures they just strike me as proportionally...wrong, I guess. I'd like to check one out though.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
For those who like the "scaled-down 335" style, like the ES-339 (or the more expensive carved body CS-336), Gibson just came out with a cheaper model that bridges the gap between the ES-339 and the Epi -339 version.

It's called the Midtown Custom. It's got a street price of $1500 (versus $1999 for a Gibson ES-339). In some ways the Midtown Custom is a bit prettier - it has the twin-diamond headstock logo of a Les Paul Custom, and Custom-like block fret markers. (But it is sold by Gibson USA, not Gibson Custom.)

Here's a link: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Custom.aspx

The body is a carved-cavity mahogany body, rather than a constructed back and sides, so it is a bit more solid-bodyish than a 339. But the carved-out areas are pretty large, and it still has f-holes, etc. The two main negatives of the Midtown are that the top is flat, and not curved/arched like a 339. And the fretboard is a man-made composite that is very ebony-like in appearance (and to some extent even feel). (Although maybe this is the start of a new trend for Gibson, after their "wood raid" incidents.)

I briefly played one, and it seemed very nice, and looked really nice as well. That said, I still think I'd prefer the more traditional construction of an ES-339
Last edited by rschleicher at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by rschleicher
(But it is sold by Gibson USA, not Gibson Custom.)

Your wrong, it is sold by Epiphone and licensed by Gibson. Huge diffrence there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Your wrong, it is sold by Epiphone and licensed by Gibson. Huge diffrence there

Uhhh wow...read his post again bro.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
I like the idea of it but it depends on how much it costs. The spec reads great but fact is it's going to be either MIC or MII. The number and nature of the features means they'll probably price it quite high but you know the actual build quality isn't going to be any different to other Epiphones. It's not like they have their nice Korean factory any more and these aren't part of the MIJ Elite line. And you know since it's a new body style for Epiphone they'll use that to bump the price up another few notes too. If it comes in at the same price as the LP Ultra III then I'll probably buy one quite happily but if it's any more than I think it's one to avoid. Funky electronics and cool body style or not, there's a limit to how much I'll pay for any MIC/MII guitar.

Quote by Spud Spudly
This is somewhat old news.
It was announced less than 48 hours ago.
Quote by grohl1987

It was announced less than 48 hours ago.

Actually, both the Epi 339 and the Epi 339 Ultra are in the November edition of the Musician's Friend catalog, which has been in my house for almost a month now.
Quote by Enix165
Mmmm, that sunburst one looks *NICE*...any lefty ones, per chance?

Dream on. It looks like it's still either a Sheraton II or bust.....