Hi

I started playing bass 3 months ago, and I decided that now was the time to get a new bass.

Most of the time I'm playing things like Metallica, Nirvana, Tool and other in that genre, and I would like a bass with a short distance from the strings to the fretboard.
My budget is around 400-650 dollars. So my question is, any suggestions?

I've looked at the Fender Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass:

http://www.fender.com/en-DK/products/search.php/?partno=0326702521
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvW-fn8m2WA

And also the Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass:
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bass/Thunderbird-IV.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaKXNtOaTkU

Thanks alot ! ! xD
The distance of the strings from the fret board is something that can be modified. All you need to do is adjust the action (which is usually necessary when you get a different gauge of strings or when a change of season occurs).

You've been playing for 3 months, unless you've got a piece of crap, I'd save your money for a solid bass amp.

But, OT:
You play grunge/metal, and Tool tends to drop tune. I would recommend standard gauge strings (.050-.110) or standard with a thicker E string, but that could cause some rattle issues.

If you are dead-set on buying a new bass, I'd recommend saving for a Mexican Standard Fender Bass (jazz or p-bass, that's your preference). It's no American, but it's still a great bass.
What currency is that in?

Between those two, the Squier VM Jazz stomps all over the Epi T bird. Actually, a lot of people find that the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series Squiers are comparable to most MIM Fender Standard basses. It would be an excellent choice for any beginner or intermediate player.

As for the action (distance between the strings and the fretboard), it's adjustable on pretty much every bass. String height can be adjusted by the bridge, and you can either have it set up for you at a shop, or you can always learn to set it up yourself.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by akarith

You've been playing for 3 months, unless you've got a piece of crap, I'd save your money for a solid bass amp.

If you are dead-set on buying a new bass, I'd recommend saving for a Mexican Standard Fender Bass (jazz or p-bass, that's your preference). It's no American, but it's still a great bass.

He's right about the amp, a solid amp does more than a solid bass and a shitty amp.

Bass wise, Thunderbirds largely blow as do most epi basses without some serious work.

Krist of nirvana used a Jazz bass and an Ibanez jazz bass copy before going to the GIBSON Tbird and rippers etc.

Look for a Squier classic vibe or vintage modified like you have been, and in the used market. MIM basses are nice I've owned several, but now I just own MIJ mustang, a Affinity bronco and an affinity P bass, they work for me, and those new squiers are just plain beautiful.
Look at the Sterling Ray 34, really nice bass for the price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by akarith
The distance of the strings from the fret board is something that can be modified. All you need to do is adjust the action (which is usually necessary when you get a different gauge of strings or when a change of season occurs).

But, OT:
You play grunge/metal, and Tool tends to drop tune. I would recommend standard gauge strings (.050-.110) or standard with a thicker E string, but that could cause some rattle issues.

Thanks alot for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I never knew about the action, and I'll definitely look for some new strings. So any specific bass amps I should check out ? or any brand ?
Quote by martinbass
Thanks alot for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I never knew about the action, and I'll definitely look for some new strings. So any specific bass amps I should check out ? or any brand ?

On a budget the Accoustic bass amps are pretty diecent.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
On a budget the Accoustic bass amps are pretty diecent.

Aye. I'd look into Acoustic or Fender Rumble (I kind of really like Fender products, if it wasn't obvious). I picked up an Acoustic B100 not too long ago and it sounds fabulous, didn't break the bank too much either.
Gk mb112 is good combo, as is some acoustics, or you could go with a head and cab usually they go on sale as say a head and a particular cab for such and such discount.
Quote by akarith
Aye. I'd look into Acoustic or Fender Rumble (I kind of really like Fender products, if it wasn't obvious). I picked up an Acoustic B100 not too long ago and it sounds fabulous, didn't break the bank too much either.

Thanks So i looked at this Fender Rumble 15.
http://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_rumble_15.htm
Shouldn't be too expensive, but anything is better than what i got.

(I own a Behringer Bass with an amp which I bought for 150-160 dollars, (120 euros))
It really won't be better. A single, cheap 8" speaker isn't going to give you a nice sound in any dimension known or unknown to man. What currency are you using?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
It really won't be better. A single, cheap 8" speaker isn't going to give you a nice sound in any dimension known or unknown to man. What currency are you using?

I'm using danish kroner So I should just stick with my amp then ?
Denmark's part of the EU yeah? So Thomann's probably going to be your best bet for buying stuff unless the used market around your area has a good selection.
I'm not saying keep your amp and I'm not saying upgrade either. Behringer doesn't have the best reputation as far as quality control goes but in my experience if you buy one of their products and it lasts a couple of years its probably going to keep on going.
The question that should've been asked at the start of this thread is; what do you have now and what don't you like about it? I noticed you said you would like a bass with a short distance between the strings and the fretboard (this is refered to as "action" by the way, so you're after a "low action") this is fully adjustable and it could be that your bass just needs a set up (the word commonly used for "service" in the instrument world I guess) by a competent guitar tech, or you could have a go at it yourself if you feel confident and have the right tools. There's plenty of tutorials online if you want to give it a try.
Apologies if I'm repeating things you already know but you seem like you're new to all this so I'm trying to give the best explanation I can.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Yeah you're absolutely right, I am new to this Well... Hmmm... The reason for the I'm buying a new bass is because of the pick-ups, the neck and the sound. I am not really comfortable with the pick-ups. Aside from that, I would like a more smooth sound, or a better sound really.

I will look into the action thing, thanks I think my mind is set tho That Squier vintage jazz bass looks amazing.

This is the one I have atm
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BT108BPK-PB503-BK.aspx
The VM Jazz is a good choice, I had one for a while and preferred it over Mexican Fenders. They've got a nice bite to them from the maple body.
Looking at the amp you've got an upgrade is definitely in order, but something a long the lines of the Fender you posted before (low wattage, single 8" speaker) really wont be much of an upgrade. If you're just playing at home by yourself something like the Ashdown Perfect 10 would be a good choice on a budget in my opinion, they run 150 Euro on Thomann.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Thanks alot for your input, definitely usefull I will take a look at the Ashdown Perfect 10, while now completely convinced to buy the VM jazz.

Ty all for your replies
Try to play the Jazz before you buy it, just to make sure it's the right bass for you feel-wise, Jazz basses are pretty consistent in neck shapes etc across all series so any Fender/Squier you can get your hands on to try for even half an hour to an hour would be good.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB