So whenever I strum without a pick I just use my fingers that are shaped like I am holding a pick but I just hit the strings with the nail of my index finger.
I just got used to play like that, never learned it like that, so I am wondering is this how everyone else does it or are there other or even better ways to strum without a pick?
I hold my thumb against the middle fingers side, as if Im holding a pick, and strum the strings with the middle fingertip.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
when I don't use my pick, I mostly strum in a more "flamenco" way. That means I strum the treble strings with my fingers and the bass strings with my thumb, it gives a nicer sound and reminds me of some 60's music.

Problem is, I'm getting too used to it and now I ave problems holding my pick properly :/
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
I just use my thumb This gives a really soft and bassy sound which I like!
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Diff'rent strokes, as they say. All fingertips, one fingernail... add thumb to bass strings or just plunk away! Different sounds/rhythms may require different strums; just as different electric arrangements use different picking techniques. Whatever sounds good to you and works with the tempo and/or lyrics!?!?!