Hey I need some advice on what to do with my strat. it seems that the neck pickup is starting to die, the volume is really low compared to the rest of the pickups. Recently, I had the guitar rewired with a new switch because the old one broke. Before that happened the guitar worked fine, but after the switch died the neck isn't as responsive as before and the other pickups don't sound the way they used too.

I really don't want to spend new money on a pickup if I can get by just with a new wiring job, but I'll do what I have to to make the guitar sound how I want it.

I made a youtube video explaining the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96wUvJSbEA

Any advice is appreciated.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
When and if the switch on my LP stops working, I will replace pots and the jack at the same time. That way the parts would be "same age" and it would be easier to tell how long those electronics last.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

It's more likely a problem with the wiring than the pickups. It is possible for a pickups to die, but it really doesn't happen all that often. The circumstances definitely point toward the wiring instead of the pickup.
Yeah that's what I'm starting to think too..
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
interesting.. Would totally have thought that it would have been a height problem.

Ok I think first we need to know how your strat is wired. Maybe the 5th position (neck position) isnt actually just the neck pickup, maybe someone mixed up the wiring a bit.

Next, if you have a multi-meter, measure the resistances of the pickups. The next should have the lowest resistance but should be reasonably close to the middle. The bridge is a humbuckers so its going to be almost double (most likely) resistance of the neck. To measure the resistance of the pickups, place the leads from the multimeter on the two wires of the pickup, pretty simple.
EDIT: forgot to say, the pickup is probably broken if you have some really wacky resistance

Show us some pics of the wiring too. Its possible its just bad soldering that is giving it the volume drop.
Last edited by michaelbot9000 at Dec 1, 2011,
The wiring is correct on everything, its just the neck pickup is weak. I'll ohm it out and see what I get - thats the whole reason I brought the guitar in in the first place, the neck pickup stopped working so we put in a new switch and it started working again, but this time at a lower volume.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard