Yes
37 19%
No
113 57%
You're high
47 24%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 3
I know depression also occurs in older and even younger people, but it seems that most people that deal with depression are teenagers. So is depression, and maybe even suicidality, just a teenage rite of passage or no?
depends on if it's legitimately depression or not. self diagnosing yourself is tardtastic. and not every teen is depressed, so I don't see how it's a right of passage.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Depression and angst are different things.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Alright. I just saw this in yahoo answers and was wondering what the pit thought.
Quote by add_g
Alright. I just saw this in yahoo answers and was wondering what the pit thought.

sounds like someone on yahoo answers wanted some attention most people i know who have been depressed, or committed suicide have hid it extremely well.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
No. Not every teenager gets depressed, not everyone who suffers with depression develops it in their teenage years. I can draw you a venn diagram if you like.
Genuine depression is significantly more crippling than teenage stress/very mild depression. The problem arises when a teenager has a mood disorder and it is written off as angst.

Also +1 on the venn diagram
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 1, 2011,
OP: "Depression mostly occurs in teens = All teens go through depression"

Logic fail.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Quote by smb
I can draw you a venn diagram if you like.

I don't know about TS, but I wanna see this venn diagram.
It's a self-induced negative thinking state of mind. No more, no less. I've been there, I've been out of it. Has nothing to do with age. If you can bring yourself into depression, you can bring yourself out of it. You can seem like the happiest person in the world on the outside, when you are dying a thousand deaths every day on the inside. It's only something you can experience - putting it in words is silly.

EDIT: I think it is also bioprogrammed, so people who can have depression will at some point, but by countering all of the negativity and irrationality with immersing yourself in the best of what this world has to offer, you can fight it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Dec 1, 2011,
Self-diagnosing yourself with mental illnesses is a teenage rite of passage. So in a way, yes.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
No I was a Happy Teen.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
I've never been properly depressed in my life.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Genuine depression (known as major depressive disorder) is a mental disorder.

You're just in a "depressive mood", which is just a low-feeling state. It's nothing compared to the real disorder.
Quote by Ganoosh
Self-diagnosing yourself with mental illnesses is a teenage rite of passage. So in a way, yes.

I call bullshit.

The only real rite of passage is puberty.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by darkstar2466
It's a self-induced negative thinking state of mind. No more, no less. I've been there, I've been out of it. Has nothing to do with age. If you can bring yourself into depression, you can bring yourself out of it. You can seem like the happiest person in the world on the outside, when you are dying a thousand deaths every day on the inside. It's only something you can experience - putting it in words is silly.

Are you saying this statement applies to all depression regardless of age or cause, or just that all teenagers cause their own depression if they suffer it?
ha-haaa
Quote by Dynamight
OP: "Depression mostly occurs in teens = All teens go through depression"

Logic fail.
The bigger fail is that statement 1 there is not true. Then, he naturally makes a logical fail, which is what you pointed out. TS, statement 1 does not lead to statement 2. Furthermore, statement 1 is not true.
Quote by Verse34k
I don't know about TS, but I wanna see this venn diagram.

Of course I'd like to see it. I'm actually pretty uninformed about the issue
Quote by Banjocal
Are you saying this statement applies to all depression regardless of age or cause, or just that all teenagers cause their own depression if they suffer it?

I added an edit to that previous post. The brain follows neural paths in cycles - I don't know why, but the redundancy builds thought. Your neural pathways and how your brain uses them define you. Though you may be bioprogrammed to feel this depression, I think you can change it. People who are neurologically programmed for these depressive cycles will experience depression, but I think it can be overcome by rewriting which cycles your brain follows.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Herp derp, I clicked Yes instead of No

Edit: I was gonna try and justify my side, but the guy below me did a far better job of what I was gonna say
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Last edited by HeretiK538 at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by DarkTom666
Genuine depression (known as major depressive disorder) is a mental disorder.

You're just in a "depressive mood", which is just a low-feeling state. It's nothing compared to the real disorder.

This.

Everybody gets "depressive" sometimes. I'd say sure, teenagers go through stupid ass crises that aren't really that important but they think they are so they get all "depressive" and say that they're depressed. So yes, many teenagers are "depressive" and most come out of it okay or else they're dumb or legitimately depressed. But are the majority in that category clinically depressed? Nah.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Dec 1, 2011,
Technically I've never not been depressed to some extent. Even as a little kid.

I should probably get meds again but I don't have insurance or the motivation to talk to a doctor about it
Emotions going out of whack because of hormones and overall growth of a person is not depression. Depression is a serious mental disorder. That said, it's not a good idea to off handidly write off a "depressed" teenager as hormonal or moody.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by darkstar2466
I added an edit to that previous post. The brain follows neural paths in cycles - I don't know why, but the redundancy builds thought. Your neural pathways and how your brain uses them define you. Though you may be bioprogrammed to feel this depression, I think you can change it. People who are neurologically programmed for these depressive cycles will experience depression, but I think it can be overcome by rewriting which cycles your brain follows.

You just described CBT, albeit with a different way of describing endogenous depression and a more biological approach than schemas.
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by bradulator
This.

Everybody gets "depressive" sometimes. I'd say sure, teenagers go through stupid ass crises that aren't really that important but they think they are so they get all "depressive" and say that they're depressed. So yes, many teenagers are "depressive" and most come out of it okay or else they're dumb or legitimately depressed.

yes. being sad over a breakup, divorce, or whatever is completely different that a diagnosed severe depression.

real depression makes you think and feel really strange things. like regretting decisions you've made years ago and obsessing over them, fantasizing about who would be at your funeral, ect.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
No. Depression is one of the most common issues encountered by GPs, it's both widespread and serious.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Wrong word. Not "depression". It's "teen angst".
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I am a teenager who is diagnosed [by an actual psychologist] with depression. I am presently on medication for it.

But honestly, I think certain people just view life very negatively and that there really isn't much that can change that other than dramatic experiences with gravity enough to shift that perspective.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
No, I have never been depressed.

I am generally pretty upbeat the majority of the time.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
The majority of teens with depression are just whiny bitches who think they have it too hard. Today's society is so god damn touchy feely that everyone thinks their tiny miniscule problems are a huge deal. Like a girl who kills herself because her boyfriend broke up with her or something. Teenagers are idiots. I was diagnosed with depression, and I can easily ignore it because some days you feel good some days you don't, that's life. Depression is bullshit. People need to just learn that and stop complaining about their lives. If you live in North America you have NOTHING to be depressed about, unless you're homeless or dying.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Of course not.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by naedauuf
The majority of teens with depression are just whiny bitches who think they have it too hard. Today's society is so god damn touchy feely that everyone thinks their tiny miniscule problems are a huge deal. Like a girl who kills herself because her boyfriend broke up with her or something. Teenagers are idiots. I was diagnosed with depression, and I can easily ignore it because some days you feel good some days you don't, that's life. Depression is bullshit. People need to just learn that and stop complaining about their lives. If you live in North America you have NOTHING to be depressed about, unless you're homeless or dying.

And that folks is the most moronic, ill-informed and ignorant outlook on depression. Congratulations sir.

You may well have been diagnosed with depression but chances are it was a very mild depression, do some research into manic-depressive disorders, psychotic depressive disorders, etc, or just don't post anything. Either way works.
Page 1 of 3