I'm just wondering if it can work out like that. I don't know much about pre amps/power amps, so if anyone can explain them to me that'd be cool.
Any amp is actually a pre amp and a power amp together. Your signal travels through them and your fx loop is in the middle.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Green_Ghoul
I'm just wondering if it can work out like that. I don't know much about pre amps/power amps, so if anyone can explain them to me that'd be cool.

as mentioned above, your guitar amp actually has a preamp section and a power amp section. if you are to know more about it...

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/blog/86585/

so essentially, you're asking whether it is OK to run an external preamp (from a pedal lets say) into the guitar amp's preamp. the answer is yes, you can. in fact, we do it all the time. all those distortion, boost, and fuzz pedals (among other things) are all just modified preamp circuits.

there is a caveat: preamps tend to add most of the 'color' to the source signal and sometimes it is NOT desireable to 'chain' preamps. for example, a sansamp GT-2 was meant to be used going into a PA or into an Effects Loop receive (i still ran it into the front of my music man though). if you have something like an expensive H&K preamp then chances are you won't wanna run through the native amp's preamp unless it is VERY neutral sounding else you may get mud lows, over/dirty saturation and ugly mids and highs.

mind you, if you want to bypass a guitar amp's preamp, it would have to have an effects loop and you'd have to feed it into the effect receive.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 1, 2011,
short answer, plug the "external" preamp into the effect loop return to bypass the amps preamp
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard