Page 1 of 2
In the hunt for a new guitar, I play in a cover band covering from classic rock(skynyrd, creedence), 90's, and even some reggae, just looking for some input from others on what I should pick up. I've always loved Ibanez and was thinking maybe an S series, most recently had a Schecter. Been tossing up the idea of a Telecaster, then started thinking of maybe a PRS. Looking for something versatile, all I've had was cheapy's, looking to spend around $1000.00. Any input is welcomed, Thanx.

i'm guessing some type of superstrat with a mixture of humbuckers and single coils, or alternatively something along the lines of a PRS with humbuckers with coil splits would work well.

depends on what you play, of course. if you play a wide range of stuff but find out that they all played teles, then a tele would work, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Find a used PRS CE22/24 they go for $800+ used, and are extremely versitile from Jazz to Metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
fender stratocaster seems like it would work fine for all you've mentioned.
I'll definitely check out the PRS. The other guitarist in the band has a american strat and I'm not really to partial to it (although the tone is sweet), he gets alot of feedback through it. Anybody have any input on an Ibanez s470?
Last edited by LOGjammer158 at Dec 1, 2011,
Definitely check the PRS, real quality instruments.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by LOGjammer158
I'll definitely check out the PRS. The other guitarist in the band has a american strat and I'm not really to partial to it (although the tone is sweet), he gets alot of feedback through it. Anybody have any input on an Ibanez s470?

i'm guessing you can do better for $1000... you should be looking at the Japanese-made prestiges for that kind of money, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm guessing you can do better for $1000... you should be looking at the Japanese-made prestiges for that kind of money, if you ask me.

What models would that be? I'm really liking the look and the reviews on the S470.
rg1570 or 1451/1421 if you want a hardtail.

honestly the mij prestiges are way better, i don't care what the reviews say. a review can be written by anyone. beginners etc. tend to own cheaper instruments so teh reviews tend to be skewed. Also lower prices lower expectations, so while a $400 guitar might be a good guitar for $400, for $1000 you can do better.

etc. etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I told him to look at the USA PRS CE (bolt-on neck) not the se. I think youd be very hard pressed to find an Ibanez as good as one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh i meant versus the s470. I wasn't talking at all about the PRSes, I probably should have edited that bit out of teh bit i quoted. I know you were talking about a US-made one.

FWIW i wasn't super-impressed by the CEs I tried (it was ages ago, though, and I might like them now). I'd take a j-custom over one no problem. granted they're way more expensive.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh i meant versus the s470. I wasn't talking at all about the PRSes, I probably should have edited that bit out of teh bit i quoted. I know you were talking about a US-made one.

FWIW i wasn't super-impressed by the CEs I tried (it was ages ago, though, and I might like them now). I'd take a j-custom over one no problem. granted they're way more expensive.

right on I miss understood

I picked my Ce over 3 PRS standards and 4 Customs, just felt better to me. But everyone has prefrences
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The PRS are definitelty a little priceier than the Ibanez. Searched Ebay a little for the PRS's did'nt find to many out there, fortunately i'm not in a hurry. Appreciating the input though, keep it coming.
^ yeah, i think that's an MIJ prestige one, might be over budget, though. but if you prefer teh looks of the s series to the rgs, then that'd be the one to go for.

Quote by Robbgnarly
right on I miss understood

I picked my Ce over 3 PRS standards and 4 Customs, just felt better to me. But everyone has prefrences

yeah i mean i tried them so long ago that i don't really trust what I thought of them then

but bound to be worth a look if they can be found under budget

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i think that's an MIJ prestige one, might be over budget, though. but if you prefer teh looks of the s series to the rgs, then that'd be the one to go for.

yeah i mean i tried them so long ago that i don't really trust what I thought of them then

but bound to be worth a look if they can be found under budget

I'll just have to play a couple more shows and keep saving.
ah ok

just bear in mind that at teh price of the sv5470 you probably have a lot more options, from the likes of suhr, tyler, tom anderson, vigier etc. (assuming you want a superstrat).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Options are nice. I've always liked the feel of an Ibanez, I've had a cheap RG series, one of their RG series seven strings. The necks are just so fast and they are light as hell.
oh yeah, i like 'em too. Just, as you say, options are good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So why not the SE? A Friend of mine has one he is lookin to get rid of for around $300. I went and played it today, liked the feel and the tone. Plus its not a bolt on.
First thing that jumps to my mind is PRS. They just make guitars that look at home in nearly every genre.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by LOGjammer158
Plus its not a bolt on.

What's wrong with bolt ons?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
What's wrong with bolt ons?

Absolutely nothing.

Gear snobs have a hard-on for neck throughs.
I don' t have a preference personally, just always have had bolt-ons. Was kind of under the impression the neck-thru had better tone.

Either way just looking for input on the SE Custom. The one I'm looking at is a 2006 SE in beautiful condition, made in Indonesia. Looking at around $300-400 for it.
Neck-through don't have a better tone, just a different tone. Most neck-through guitars use maple, which makes them sound very, very bright.

I'm not a fan of PRS SEs myself. I've not tried many but the ones I have picked up haven't seemed that great. Not bad, but completely run-of-the-mill. I think you can do better elsewhere, especially if you're willing to look second hand. You can often find MIA Fenders for the price of a new PRS SE. When I read your first post the first thing that sprung to my mind was a HSH Strat, or a hot rodded Tele.
Quote by deepfat
Absolutely nothing.

Gear snobs have a hard-on for neck throughs.

No they don't

And really if your set on that SE, which is a good deal, buy it. I don't think you'll regret it.
Les Paul,Explorer or Strat.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Please, please, don't play an ibanez in skynyrd and ccr. That's a sin. Well, it'll take more than $1000 to get a good PRS, or a Gibson Les Paul, so id go with an American made strat. I have strats les pauls and PRS's and they're all great, but I enjoy the strats more. They're pretty versatile too.
Personally, Fender American Standard Strat SSH will be the best for playing in variety styles of music
Quote by mason_rush
Please, please, don't play an ibanez in skynyrd and ccr. That's a sin.

I know its a sin to play such generic pub music on a cool guitar such as an ibanez
Quote by mason_rush
Please, please, don't play an ibanez in skynyrd and ccr. That's a sin. Well, it'll take more than $1000 to get a good PRS, or a Gibson Les Paul, so id go with an American made strat. I have strats les pauls and PRS's and they're all great, but I enjoy the strats more. They're pretty versatile too.

A strat is a good choice, but you most deffinately can get a great USA PRS or Gibson LP for $1000 or less, you just need to buy used.

And to LOGjammer, no PRS SE's are made in Indonesia, they are made in Korea. If it says Indo, it is a fake.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by coolstoryangus
I know its a sin to play such generic pub music on a cool guitar such as an ibanez

oooooooo
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coolstoryangus

Yeah because everyone loves those cheap Chinese made metal head guitars. Totally beats any of that hand made American crap these days (sarcasm).
Quote by mason_rush
Yeah because everyone loves those cheap Chinese made metal head guitars. Totally beats any of that hand made American crap these days (sarcasm).

Japanese actually.
Get your head out the gutter.
AMERICUHHHHHHHHHHH
Quote by coolstoryangus
Japanese actually.
Get your head out the gutter.
AMERICUHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT; holy shit i just noticed you put teh stars and stripes at the top of your post. brilliant! ahahahahahahahahahahaha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
4 MIJ ibanez (3 rgs, 1 s_
1 Fender Hm strat (says made in usa on the neckplate but basically MIJ)
1 Schecter c1 elite
1 Squier MIJ strat
1 Squier Classic vibe telecaster..

Page 1 of 2