Hi guys.
I'm looking for a new guitar around ~£500 ($800 I guess) that is similar in style to Ibanez and Schecter and that lot. Coil tapping would be nice.
I currently own an Ibanez RGA42, so I want something a bit different in terms of tone.

I listen and play a ton of Opeth so essentially I would like a guitar that can handle heavy riffs but at the same time maintain clarity (don't really know if this makes sense, ignore if you wish).

I've been looking at the Schecter C1 Standard and that looks pretty good, but I'm wondering if there are any brands I'm missing, as I've only considered the ones in the title. I've pretty much ignored ltd as apparently they don't provide the same quality as schecter in the same price range.

My set up is a metal muff into a VHT special 6.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Location?

You should get a second hand Prestige. You can definitely get an awesome one in excellent condition and with aftermarket pickups for 500£ if you look around a bit
Quote by xFilth
Location?

You should get a second hand Prestige. You can definitely get an awesome one in excellent condition and with aftermarket pickups for 500£ if you look around a bit

I'm in London.
And I'll have a look for some prestiges
Schecter C-1+, not standard. Amazing guitar, I've heard the newer models in the past few years have coil tap. Right in your price range. As always, try before you buy, but that's my suggestion.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
+1 on ibanez prestige/MIJ Ibanez

washburn x50pro might be worth a look if you can't stretch to the prestige ibanezes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Dec 1, 2011,
^Yeah, stuff like that is on the bay all the time.

You could for instance get that RG1570 and still have money to swap pickups to some good stuff
Is a prestige really going to be that much better than a new Schecter? I've never played a prestige so I have no idea how they compare to regular Ibanez's.
Besides the two you mentioned, look into Michael Kelly guitars. It's a small shop, but they make amazing guitars for around $600 that easily rival the quality and sound of $1000+ guitars. Check out the Michael Kelly Patriot Limited, huge range of tones, can handle the heavy stuff, amazing cleans, coiltapped, solid mahogany body, beautiful finishes, overall one of the best guitars you can get brand new for under $800.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by xFilth
Location?

+1 You can get a 5470 around that price.

Or even a used rg 550 or something and have some cash to spare.

Also would recommend an old Charvel Model 5 or 6
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by JozefLG
Is a prestige really going to be that much better than a new Schecter? I've never played a prestige so I have no idea how they compare to regular Ibanez's.

Yeah
Quote by JozefLG

Of course....unless you prefer a Shcecter neck. they are completely different guitars.

And even if you do prefer that rounder neck, Id still go for a RGT3120 over any schecter
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by xFilth
Yeah

+1

as long as you like the neck, as already said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Acϵ♠
Besides the two you mentioned, look into Michael Kelly guitars. It's a small shop, but they make amazing guitars for around $600 that easily rival the quality and sound of $1000+ guitars. Check out the Michael Kelly Patriot Limited, huge range of tones, can handle the heavy stuff, amazing cleans, coiltapped, solid mahogany body, beautiful finishes, overall one of the best guitars you can get brand new for under $800.

Ahh thanks, they look pretty interesting. My main qualm is that they all seem to be Les Paul shape, and when I've played Gibson Les Pauls, I always find them uncomfortable, but maybe this will be different. I'll see if I can find somewhere to demo one.

In other news, I think that I'll just have to go out and try and find a Schecter and a prestige to have a go on. I've played a schecter omen and I was impressed and that was only their cheapest model so once I find a C1 plus to try out, I'll be able to compare it to a prestige.
The reason I seem to be edging away from the prestiges is that firstly I'm not too keen on getting a second hand guitar, especially one with chips in (as some on ebay have), and I would quite like something a bit different for my second guitar. But nevertheless, like I said I'll give them ago and I'll see what happens.

Thanks for everyones help, if anyone else has any other suggestions feel free to keep posting
if you keep an eye out and/or get lucky you can sometimes even get new old stock prestiges for around your budget. i've seen 1570s with teh older edge pro trem being advertised for around £600.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?