So I was at my local pawn shop and saw an Epiphone Dot Studio. Now I normally dont care too much for them but this one was different. I have never seen one like this. I shouldve taken a picture but it didnt cross my mind at the time. It was a black guitar with a faded cream like binding all the way around. The neck had no fret markers and it had EMG pickups. All the hardware was blacked out too. Im not a hollow body kinda guy, but this guitar looked great. They were asking 275 for it. So my question to you is... What was it? I havent ever heard of em.
My Gear:
2011 PRS SE Santana
2006 Agile Al-2000 goldtop
Ibanez GAX 30
Crate 15 watt
Woods Acoustic
12 String Takamine from the 70's
they want too much for it they are only $299 new. I have experienced this where I live they have a Epi Studio Lp for $375 and it is nowhere neer new condition, and only $399 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
they want too much for it they are only $299 new. I have experienced this where I live they have a Epi Studio Lp for $375 and it is nowhere neer new condition, and only $399 new.

yeah I would never pay that much but if i could get it really cheap I would love to have it.
My Gear:
2011 PRS SE Santana
Ibanez GAX 30
Crate 15 watt
Woods Acoustic
Quote by Jacob<3Guitar
Probably heavily customised, jump on it before someone else grabs it!

Dude no just no

I bet you can get one new for that price, if you talk to someone in a music store.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not asking bout it being customized or anything.... What model of dot doesnt have fret markers??
My Gear:
2011 PRS SE Santana
Ibanez GAX 30
Crate 15 watt
Woods Acoustic
Quote by blaaargh
WHY THE **** WOULD ANYONE PUT EMGS IN A HOLLOW BODY. Seriously, that's the most offensive thing I've ever heard of.

I was thinking the same thing, but I bet they are the crappy passive ones.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by blaaargh
WHY THE **** WOULD ANYONE PUT EMGS IN A HOLLOW BODY. Seriously, that's the most offensive thing I've ever heard of.

People will put EMGs in anything. I heard if you screw a pair of EMGs to a wooden oar it will make your rowboat go faster. True story.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Negotiate, bring the price down, take off the EMGs (providing they are the expensive ones) and sell them to some silly br00tal kid.
Quote by blaaargh
Probably because EMGs were first developed for jazz players using hollowbody guitars.

Do your research.
Quote by blaaargh

What is the 'correct' kind of pickups for a hollow body?
Quote by blaaargh

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
1. Emg's have waaaaaay too much output for a hollow body, but then whatever rocks ur boat.
2. Check out some GC's used gear u can get a studio for cheaper
3. if you really have ur heart set on it and its used BARTER!!! i've never paid sticker price for anything used

the correct pickups, or atleast what i prefer for a hollow body are something that are a bit more mellower not high output, think blues and classic rock with distortion not metal and 80's rock. The ones that come stock in the dot deluxe are actually well voiced.
Last edited by zamanakhan at Dec 3, 2011,
I'm actually looking at this for myself...

Epiphone Dot Studio

It's about $310 US and I love the finish... not too crazy about the lack of markers though...
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
The electronics are supposedly pretty shoddy in the Studios. I was tempted to get one at one point, but I acquired an old Framus hollowbody instead.
Quote by RebuildIt
What is the 'correct' kind of pickups for a hollow body?

high output wide frequency actives
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I just got a brand new dot studio for 199.00 and a epiphone hardshell case included. Its an 04 model so the store had it for a while. i was going in there and he would go down each time i went in. I love the stock electronics in it the pick ups are hot but sound amazing with the volume down a little without losing any sustain. I wouldnt change the electronics
To the people ranting about emg pickups; correct me if i'm wrong here...but isn;t the output from these pickups actualy quite low, but the signal is then enhanced by the active electronics?? So in essence, calling them high output is incorrect??

Not gunna pretend i know everything here...bought that was the assumption I have been operating under for the past while...:s
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Whether the output comes from the pickups or the preamp isn't really the point. The point is that EMGs are typically only good for metal, and it makes no sense why they'd be on a hollowbody.
Last edited by blaaargh at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by blaaargh
Whether the output comes from the pickups or the preamp isn't really the point. The point is that EMGs are typically only good for metal, and it makes no sense why they'd be on a hollowbody.

You know how I know you suck at EQing?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Tom DeLonge has a hollow body with a Gibson Dirty Fingers in it. That's a high output pickup right? He's famous right? I'm a waste of your time I'm just a noob you shouldn't be listening to me.
OK, yall go ahead and use EMGs for jazz. Tell me how far that gets ya, I'd really like to know.
RE Tom DeLonge: 1st, DeLonge plays punk (using the term very loosely), which needs lots of gain. A Dirty Fingers is acceptable in this case, even in a hollowbody, which would probably give him more feedback, also desirable in a punk (or even "punk") setting. 2nd, while the Dirty Fingers is a high-gain pup, it's still a passive pup, and can be cleaned up somewhat by rolling down on the volume knob. I have a Dirty Fingers in one of my guitars, and I can get some fantastic clean tones out of it with the right settings. I play a ton of post-rock, so a good clean tone is very important to me, and the Dirty Fingers more than satisfies me in this regard. (Who says I don't know how to EQ now?) EMGs, not so much. 3rd, I really doubt you'd find many people who'd argue that Tom DeLonge is famous because of his guitar playing abilities or tone.
Last edited by blaaargh at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by blaaargh
OK, yall go ahead and use EMGs for jazz. Tell me how far that gets ya, I'd really like to know.
RE Tom DeLonge: 1st, DeLonge plays punk (using the term very loosely), which needs lots of gain. A Dirty Fingers is acceptable in this case, even in a hollowbody, which would probably give him more feedback, also desirable in a punk (or even "punk") setting. 2nd, while the Dirty Fingers is a high-gain pup, it's still a passive pup, and can be cleaned up somewhat by rolling down on the volume knob. I have a Dirty Fingers in one of my guitars, and I can get some fantastic clean tones out of it with the right settings. I play a ton of post-rock, so a good clean tone is very important to me, and the Dirty Fingers more than satisfies me in this regard. (Who says I don't know how to EQ now?) EMGs, not so much. 3rd, I really doubt you'd find many people who'd argue that Tom DeLonge is famous because of his guitar playing abilities or tone.

The best blues player that I know in my area uses a Jackson with active pickups....pure metalhead guitar.. So yeah...pickups can mean very little sometimes... If you really wanna talk tone, amps are the battleground, not pickups.. Peace.
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd