Hey guys,

I own a Peavey 6505 and I'm really happy with the metal sound it gives me. The only downside is that i'm pretty stuck to the harder genres. The cleans are not really what I'm looking for and I'd like to have maybe an extra channel...

So do you guys got any idea what amp would fit me well? I'd still like to be able to play heavy metalcore (Parkway Drive, Bring Me The Horizon, ...) but I'd also like to be able to play some softer indie rock (the subways, foo fighters, jimmy eat world,...)...you know, more like an all-around decent amp

I was think about a Marshall TSL100...

Budget: max.: € 2000
I plan on selling the Peavey in case this amp is da bomb
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Dec 1, 2011,
If you like the 6505 sound for metal why not just pick up another amp that does cleans and mild break up well in addition to the 6505?

I think folks are too stuck on the "one amp" idea, but it doesn't make sense: you can't get Tele, Strat, LP, PRS, and Soloist tones out of a single guitar, so you buy multiple guitars to cover all your bases. Why not just buy another amp and keep both? Other than the financial reasons, of course.

But for instance, if money is a problem, you could go out and buy a used Fender/Vox/Egnater for a few hundred dollars, and be set. Or a little JCA20 or some-such...there's lot's of things that do cleans and mild break up very well, and there are lots of amps that do metal really well, but veeeeeery few that do both very well.

A jack of all trades is a master of none.
do you have to sell your peavey? Not saying not to, but just pointing out that you have two options- either sell the peavey and buy a super amp at 2000 euro, or else keep teh peavey and buy a cheaper amp which is more aimed at the lower and mid-gained stuff.

unless you have no spare room to store two amps, or unless you're gonna use it for gigs where you need teh whole range of tones (in which case dragging two amps would be a pain), the latter might cost you less money and might even provide better results. i mean teh 6505 is pretty good at teh metal stuff.

something like a traynor ycv50b on thomann isn't that dear (on thomann) and might do what you want if you keep teh peavey.

that's not to say selling teh peavey and buying a super amp is a bad idea, do that if you want. personally i don't much like the tsl, though. you can do way better for a versatile amp which also does metal, if you ask me. the tsl, to my ears, still sounds too vintage to do teh metal thing as well as teh better modern high gain amps (such as your peavey), yet sounds too modern to do the lower gain stuff well.

EDIT: ninja'd

pretty much what lumberjack is saying... to get the really high end amps that do a lot of tones well is expensive... and even with them, it's debatable if they'd do such a range of tones as well as two amps which are more aimed at those tones... and which often are a fair bit cheaper, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 1, 2011,
@Lumberjack
@Dave_mc

Yeah, obviously I'd love to keep everything and just keep adding to my collection but financially that's not really an option. But thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it. really helpfull
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Dec 1, 2011,
i don't understand... if the extra amps you buy don't cost any more (unless i'm very much mistaken you're not going to get 2k euro for your peavey), how is it a problem?

Maybe i'm missing something, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, I'm not really thinking about buying it right away...
I'm more thinking about saving up to buy it later next year.
And about the peavey...well. I like the sound alot but it's got it's issues. A lot of noise, feedback, no good cleans...If I could find an amp that does the metal stuff good enough AND could deliver me good cleans I wouldn't really need the Peavey anymore...I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

But yeah, still struggling on all of that. It just comes down to me wanting a bit more variaty
Quote by Kriptonite_r
@Lumberjack
@Dave_mc

Yeah, obviously I'd love to keep everything and just keep adding to my collection but financially that's not really an option. But thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it. really helpfull

What our point is ( or at least mine ) is that you'd have to shell out MORE money even AFTER selling your 6505 to get an amp that does all those things well, as compared to simply spending $250-$300 on a used Traynor/Vox/Egnater/Fender/whatever. Either way you're going to spend money, and you'll probably spend less by buying another little amp instead of selling+saving for a monster.

EDIT - But on the flip side, if you'll be saving money for a year and buying nothing during that time ANYways, and you're really secretly just getting tired of your Peavey, then by all means do what you want. All I'm saying is if you LIKE the Peavey, don't sell it. Just buy something small to fill in the "tone gap".
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 1, 2011,
oh yeah you should definitely be able to get high gain amps with better cleans (and lower gain drive tones) than teh peavey. you just need to be careful you don't end up spending a ton while still not being happy with the lower gain tones.

if you find something that does what you want and it's under budget, by all means go for it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lumberjack
What our point is ( or at least mine ) is that you'd have to shell out MORE money even AFTER selling your 6505 to get an amp that does all those things well, as compared to simply spending $250-$300 on a used Traynor/Vox/Egnater/Fender/whatever. Either way you're going to spend money, and you'll probably spend less by buying another little amp instead of selling+saving for a monster.

EDIT - But on the flip side, if you'll be saving money for a year and buying nothing during that time ANYways, and you're really secretly just getting tired of your Peavey, then by all means do what you want. All I'm saying is if you LIKE the Peavey, don't sell it. Just buy something small to fill in the "tone gap".

yep that's pretty much exactly what i meant, too.

if you're sick of the peavey's high gain tone, then get something else. but if the peavey's high gain tone is perfect for you, unless you find another high gain amp with an equally perfect high gain tone which is also more versatile, buying a second amp makes more sense, as that way you don't have to compromise on your high gain tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think you should sell your amp... because no other amp in the world has 6505 tone. It's a very common tone, but at the same time, it is very unique, in that only a 6505 can do it. If that is your ideal tone (it is the ideal metalcore tone), then nothing else will fill that gap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If that is your ideal tone (it is the ideal metalcore tone), then nothing else will fill that gap.

I prefer my TriAmp for metalcore over a 6505...

Just what other people also said: only sell if you don't like it anymore...

EDIT: btw a free bump
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30