I'm the only guitarist in my band. I jump between rhythm and lead guitar pretty frequently. Until just recently, I've had a pretty basic set up. Distortion into a Boss eq into a delay. I have my distortion pedal with my gain all the way up, and I used my eq to set up a tone that i liked whether i was playing chords or playing a solo.

I just got the line6 m13 (multi fx pedal) - so i have a lot of options to really shape my tone. i can use EQs, compressors, boosts, overdrives, and i can put any effect in front of the amp or in the effects loop.

How would you guys set up your effect pedals if you wanted to use one main distortion for your rhythm and lead, but wanted to really get a quality clean-cut hard hitting solo sound? and where would you put the effects (in front of the amp or in the effects loop?) - keep in mind, i can have multiple EQs set up, or multiple distortions. or whatever. if you had room to use a lot of pedals to shape your tone, what would you use?

Thanks!
Last edited by onethroughthree at Dec 1, 2011,
Bridge pup for rhythm and neck pup for solos...? Maybe dial off the distortion for solos and, depending on what you play, maybe put in a reverb or delay effect on your MFX pedal. Also, try not to cut you mids either in your pedal EQ or your amp EQ. I think it just kills your tone.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Dec 1, 2011,
what about using 2 EQs? how would you shape an EQ for rhythm and how would you shape an eq for lead?
I think the only difference between my main rhythm and my main lead is my lead has a bit more mid, a tad less gain (more volume though), and some reverb. I'd have to actually check, but I think that's about right...
keep that shit the same son. when ur gonna wanna record it u don't want one guitar sounding like three and a major tone change is gross live anyway
i appreciate the opinion, but i gotta disagree here. a band with one guitarist needs a few different tones for the different things he's doing. they dont have to be DRASTIC. but when you're playing a solo or a nice lead lick, you need an extra SOMETHING to be heard clearly over the bassist and drummer

plus, sometimes i use the loop station on my M13 - dont want to be soloing over the rhythm chord progression that i recorded with the same exact tone
really could use way more info to give you a decent answer. guitar and amp used for starters and of course styles of music played. personally i have a really simple live setup and kick on an overdrive for leads. this helps them cut through the mix and gives them a different eq as well. a wah helps me out as well. but that's me and not you.
I play just a stock american fender strat into a clean fender deluxe
The style of guitar i play is hard distorted rock. lots of palm mutes. lots of power chords. think like...breaking benjamin guitar sound (but the band doesnt sound anything like that) with their hard palm mutes and punching chorus. or maybe like...idk...limp biscuit...three days grace. that guitar sound. i dont really know how to describe what the band sounds like, but i dont think thats relevant. and i certainly can use a wah, but dont have any practice with one. i wouldnt even know what a good way to use it is yet.
Quote by onethroughthree
I play just a stock american fender strat into a clean fender deluxe
The style of guitar i play is hard distorted rock. lots of palm mutes. lots of power chords. think like...breaking benjamin guitar sound (but the band doesnt sound anything like that) with their hard palm mutes and punching chorus. or maybe like...idk...limp biscuit...three days grace. that guitar sound. i dont really know how to describe what the band sounds like, but i dont think thats relevant. and i certainly can use a wah, but dont have any practice with one. i wouldnt even know what a good way to use it is yet.

well for starters have you considered using a different amp? the fender deluxe is a fine amp for cleans and with an overdrive slapped in front of does nice blues rock tones but it really isn't the first choice for hard rock.

i play hard rock stuff with a strat myself (deep purple, hendrix, montrose,etc). i've pretty much found that having an amp with a decent distortion channel is the way to go (preferably with a nice clean channel as well. then as mentioned an overdrive or an EQ pedal can be kicked on for leads.

if you want to stick with your amp then perhaps one of teh pedals that have 2 options (steve vai distortion or the jekyll and hyde pedal sorry forget who makes them) would do the trick. personally i wouldn't use a multifx unit for my distortion sound.

as for the wah well just spend some time with one and you'll catch on fairly quickly
I use my amp's overdrive channels for most of what I play. When I want to stand out for a lead part, I kick in my Maxon OD808 (like a Tubescreamer) that's set for additional gain, volume and clarity.

As far as EQ goes - I have my amp's EQ set up where I like it, and I have an EQ pedal on my pedal board that I use to alter my sound whenever I need it. But I mostly use that when I switch guitars, not when I switch from rhythm to solo. I play a Les Paul and a Telecaster and there's no way to get those both dialed in on my amp using the same settings, haha
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by Brainpolice2
Well if that's your main concern, this is generally the point of getting a booster or a tubescreamer type pedal.

^ +1

And if you're worried about your EQ, you can set the tone knob of a Tubescreamer to give you whatever bass/treble balance you're looking for in your lead boost.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
All I do to differentiate rhythm from lead is my lead tone gets about a third more mids after the preamp and I notch the preamp gain up by a tiny amount, like 5% to 10%. Every effect, compression, noise gate and everything else I leave the same. That way everything interacts consistently, I don't have to worry about a pedal working one way when I'm on one chanel but working slightly diferently when I switch tones. Lots of people bump everything up when they switch to lead but that just causes problems. It sounds good in your bedroom but actually do it live and all you'll do is piss off the sound techs and you'll make the band mix sound weak and unbalanced.

Just stick a slight bump in the mids in the effects loop/after the preamp section. It's really all you need.
Turn your distortion pedal to halfway on the gain, and instead of playing it on a clean channel, play it on a gain channel turned up to 10 o'clock. I use this setup, i have a Boss MT-2 into a DD-3, lovingly eq'd on the MT-2 and into my amp which has a nice gain channel. You can tweak the tone from there however you like from there. Nice thing is that you can have your guitar set at the neck position and the pedal off so you still get light gain for the rhythm, then flip to the neck pickup or in between, step on the pedal, and a huge, awesome tone resides for leads.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Dec 2, 2011,
The difference between my lead and rhythm are shitloads of mids for lead, tight mid scooped rhythm, and again, delay and a bit of compressor are applied in soloing. Maybe I engage Wah in and set in in middle if I want to really pierce some ears. (I don't use wah to actually wah wah, just to change pitch statically)
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
i like to keep a consistent tone between rhythms and solos. all i do is switch my to my neck pickup at the start of one and back to the bridge at the end of it. the most i would be adding a boost pedal but the tones shouldn't be drastically different. as far as effects go maybe add a bit of reverb during the solo but i've never been a fan of delay during a solo unless it fits the solo really well, it always sounded way too cheesy hair metal to me.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby