Hey everybody, I need a little help.

A couple of months ago, I went into the music store to buy a couple sets of strings to start learning the process of restringing on my acoustic. I had been babying it before, letting a pro take care of it because I was scared to break something myself, and I finally got tired of spending the money. I wandered into the acoustic string section, and picked up a 3-pack of D'Addario .13-56 Phospher bronze strings, and happily went off to check out.

When I got home and got to work, I noticed a slight difference between the sizes of strings. I thought I had bought the same brand as I had been getting beforehand, but it turns out my guitar had been using .12-53's. I didn't pay much attention to it, and proceeded the replace the strings. I loved the new tone and feel of the strings, and I became determined to get this gauge every time...

Well, it's been a few months, and I ran into issues replacing the strings this time. My tuning pegs were unwilling to wind, mangling the new strings and even snapping the B string. Currently, I've only got the EADG strings on the guitar, and I've been unsure what to do. When I was messing around, I noticed the string pins were looking a little worn on the bottom.

Will I need to get the guitar set-up again? I keep my guitar tuned a half-step down, and I really would like to keep using the 13's. Is there any way I can make adjustments on my own? Or should I go seek out a new set-up?
Don't worry about the tips of the strings pins being a little mangled, it happens sometimes.

You shouldn't have to need the saddle readadjusted if you're going to heavier strings if you keep it tuned half a step down.

As far as changing strings follow this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sAMyMy9UmY
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Don't worry about the tips of the strings pins being a little mangled, it happens sometimes.

You shouldn't have to need the to have the saddle readjusted if your going to heavier strings if you keep it tuned half a step down.

As far as changing strings follow this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sAMyMy9UmY

There isn't anything else I would need to do with it to accommodate the strings? I'm still a bit of a novice as far as the technical stuff goes, but I thought I would have to mess with the saddle and nut to accommodate the bigger strings...?

Also, if it's mangling the strings, why would that happen? It seems to be slipping the strings off the peg while winding.

I'm still gonna take it in to have it looked at by the tech, to make sure the neck and all the parts are in good shape, but I'm feeling a little better about it now.
You may need the nut slots cut wider if it doesn't stay in tune.

Going up a step in heavier strings is offset by you going down a half step in tuning, that means the neck tension should be pretty close to the same as it was with lighter strings at standard tuning.

As far as the rest, did you attach your strings thru the posts pretty much like in the video???

I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by BlackbirdPie
You may need the nut slots cut wider if it doesn't stay in tune.

Going up a step in heavier strings is offset by you going down a half step in tuning, that means the neck tension should be pretty close to the same as it was with lighter strings at standard tuning.

As far as the rest, did you attach your strings thru the posts pretty much like in the video???

For the most part, yes. I was kind of in a rush last time when I was doing it, so I can't imagine that helped... lol

Seems like I might be worrying over nothing, but then again, I've been without my guitar for about 3 weeks now and I'm experiencing a little bit of withdrawal (not to mention a slow loss of fretting calluses!)