I have been thinking more and more about buying a Fender Strat (not sure which one but i drool over a few of them). May i ask, what are your thoughts on building vs. buying a strat? I saw a reply to a different thread that linked to some really nice looking bodies at guitar fetish and it got me thinking it might be cool and also more bang for your buck to build one. I am pretty proficient at soldering and working with electronics and wiring so that is not a concern for me. I actually love to build and fix things.
So what do you think? Does your money go farther if you build vs. buying a name brand? Is the quality of a warmoth or guitar fetish body and neck comparable to a Fender? What's your opinion?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I think it's totally cheaper to build your own. you can either save money and make it cheaper or deck it out and it will still only cost as much as a MIM Strat. To give you an example, I built a Fender Jazzmaster to US specs, used top quality electronics and hand wound Novak pickups. the cost of my build was around $800. That may sound like a lot but if I would have modded a US Jazzmaster the cost would have been around $1400

Guitar Fetish bodies are ok but their necks are complete crap. Warmoth is good quality but extremely expensive. If it were me, I would go with Allparts parts, but dont buy them from Allparts website, they are more expensive there. Here's a website to help you build it way cheaper and with all those high quality, official Fender licensed Allparts parts. I use this guy all the time so he's legit
http://www.dguitarparts.com/guitar___bass_parts

edit- Make sure you paint all your own parts too. you save a ton of money that way. seems like everyone wants to rape you for a paint job nowadays
Last edited by jdrier21 at Dec 1, 2011,
after you've finished making it you may not like it, but if you go to a store, you can not like one and just pick up the next one on the rack...
---
i figured i would do the painting, i hang out with a friend that paints cars for a living. we have painted my motorcycle and truck with really good success.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by jdrier21
I think it's totally cheaper to build your own. you can either save money and make it cheaper or deck it out and it will still only cost as much as a MIM Strat. To give you an example, I built a Fender Jazzmaster to US specs, used top quality electronics and hand wound Novak pickups. the cost of my build was around $800. That may sound like a lot but if I would have modded a US Jazzmaster the cost would have been around $1400

Guitar Fetish bodies are ok but their necks are complete crap. Warmoth is good quality but extremely expensive. If it were me, I would go with Allparts parts, but dont buy them from Allparts website, they are more expensive there. Here's a website to help you build it way cheaper and with all those high quality, official Fender licensed Allparts parts. I use this guy all the time so he's legit
http://www.dguitarparts.com/guitar___bass_parts

edit- Make sure you paint all your own parts too. you save a ton of money that way. seems like everyone wants to rape you for a paint job nowadays

Thanks for the link! yeah, i don't mind investing good money to make a killer guitar. I have a couple nice guitars so i would be able to stretch the build out and take my time to make it easier on the bank account.
Quote by BlackVoid
Quote by zenbone
i figured i would do the painting, i hang out with a friend that paints cars for a living. we have painted my motorcycle and truck with really good success.

Good. Painting is the trickiest part of building a guitar if you ask me. if you got that all figured out, the rest should be cake
also keep in mind that resale value would be next to nothing on a home build compared to a Fender.

really IMO the only superior body and neck to fender is warmoth or carvin. they are more expensive.

i have built a few guitars from parts, both times invested at least $100 more than my initial plan. it is fun, but i dont think you get the same milage as fender.

if you want to do it, go for it, its fun, and really simple, but don't be suprised about resale if it doesn't go right.

rethinking, what level Fender were you planning on getting? MIM, MIA, MIA deluxe, RI. that factors into the situation heavily.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have restored a few teisco guitars and built a couple cigar box electrics. i love working on old guitars so it would be natural to start getting more into building. I thought about a res-o-glass bodies but my guitar collection (not collection... i play them but you know what i mean) is lacking in Strat love.
I do totally understand that the resale on anything without a brand name would be obscene so it is the kind of thing that you have to build with the knowledge that it will pretty much be yours or you will take a bath on the sale price.
Quote by BlackVoid
Last edited by zenbone at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by JCGGUITARS
im doing a speech on this topic. . . . . . . XP btw build one

Would love to read your speech. sounds like a really cool topic!
Quote by BlackVoid
I'm actually in the process of planning my Strat build. I want a reverse headstock and such. I was going to just buy the Fender parts off ebay but after reading this thread, maybe I will just use other parts. Thanks for all the advice you guys have given to zenbone as it will help me as well.
You also can look for a cheap manufacture, if it's possible. I'm planning a handmade 7 string baritone guitar, as it's easier (and cheaper in Hungary) to get a handmade, than looking for a neck-throught guitar on the market. The (almost) perfect guitar forr me would be an Agile, but it's impossible to import and I don't want EMGs. You don't have to make compromises as long as you have money.
I went through the DGuitar website and found if you used a Fender licensed body and neck, Schaller tuners, Wilkenson Bridge, bone nut, and all hardware (including electronics) it would be $477. add another $40 in ReRanch lacquers and we will say $200 in pickups and you will come up with $717.
This would end up being the equivalent of an American Strat, if not better, which is $900 on Musiciansfriend.com. So you would be saving a little bit of money.
However, at this point I know why people are arguing against me. If you were to take a $500 MIM Strat and put $200 in pickups in it, it would sound just as good and cost the same price.
$717 vs $700.
The only difference in this case is that you would be able to personalize everything, color, electronics, pickups, etc, if you built it. But if you want to save time and work, a modified MIM Strat might be the way to go
Quote by jdrier21
I went through the DGuitar website and found if you used a Fender licensed body and neck, Schaller tuners, Wilkenson Bridge, bone nut, and all hardware (including electronics) it would be $477. add another $40 in ReRanch lacquers and we will say $200 in pickups and you will come up with $717.
This would end up being the equivalent of an American Strat, if not better, which is $900 on Musiciansfriend.com. So you would be saving a little bit of money.
However, at this point I know why people are arguing against me. If you were to take a $500 MIM Strat and put $200 in pickups in it, it would sound just as good and cost the same price.
$717 vs $700.
The only difference in this case is that you would be able to personalize everything, color, electronics, pickups, etc, if you built it. But if you want to save time and work, a modified MIM Strat might be the way to go

i am not trying to desuade, but i see MIA Strats/Teles at $600 quite often used in stunningly good condition, not the hwy 1 models either, the standards, before the price dropped a two years ago. those guitars will be worth the same amount in five ten or twenty years that you paid for it if not a little bit more. a partscaster will not hold its value. no matter how nice it is, the problem is just getting people to lay their hands on it to that they realize its a good guitar. thats the hardest part, people gettting their hands on it.

do what you really want to do, i honestly hope you do choose to make one, its a lot of fun, i have done two, but just realize that being home built doesn't bring in the cash if you choose to sell it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
If you build a guitar, do it for the experience. As everyone else has said, understand that you're probably stuck with it for life because you're not gonna want to sell it for what the market will want to pay. You're looking at around 300$ just to get it painted. you still have to buy the wood, buy the hardware, buy the pickups, buy a prefabricated neck and put in a lot of your time. like a quit your day job amount of time. At the end of the whole ordeal you've spent as much money as you would have if you had just bought a nice guitar, and you've spent a lot of time on it to boot.

I've done it, and it was worth the experience, but just understand that you'd might as well marry the thing because you'll never be able to get your money back out of it if you're looking for an exit plan. Unless you do a really stellar job, then maybe you've found your calling.
if you build a guitar, you can sell individual parts and get other parts to upgrade over time. strats are great because people want nice looking necks and bodies often. set neck guitars don't have liberty to do this. also, set neck guitars require bigger shipping boxes where as just a strat body will fit in smaller boxes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
if you build a guitar, you can sell individual parts and get other parts to upgrade over time. strats are great because people want nice looking necks and bodies often. set neck guitars don't have liberty to do this. also, set neck guitars require bigger shipping boxes where as just a strat body will fit in smaller boxes.

he could do the same thing to an MIM, and sell the parts off as funds come in. people are looking for MIM parts for their squiers. decide you want a flamed top in a year or two, get a new body, sell the old body (as a FENDER body), you can get as much cash out of an MIM in parts in relationship to components in the custom if taken apart over time.

i bought a new MIM with a pos MG for $200 off craigslist, the guy bought it, fell at work a few days later, and shattered his wrist and had to have it fused. obviously you cannot really play like that.

you do that and just swap things as you want to.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well i have a fender strat and i love it to death its amazing. So I would say buy one you can't beat the quality unless your amazing at building.
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
Quote by stevosmusic1
Well i have a fender strat and i love it to death its amazing. So I would say buy one you can't beat the quality unless your amazing at building.

anybody can if they order the neck and body (to same specs), and put what they want to in there. buy pickups/pots/etc., a bridge and tuners, and that's pretty much it. i did one when i was 13.

finishing is a little harder, you just have to be patient and spray lighter coats.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
We've already established that you're not really saving any money by building yourself from parts, so if you're looking for something with common specs, it makes a lot more sense to me to try out a couple dozen guitars in your price range to find a really good one.

Building one yourself has two big advantages - pride in your own workmanship, and work to your exact specifications. The two biggest disadvantages are that it can turn out like crap through no fault of your own, and resale value is very bad.

A minor disadvantage is also that I tend to see people who build their own guitars, especially a first build, think that they need some really ridiculous specs (Bubinga strat with a 24.75" ebony neck with 24 frets, floyd rose, HH configuration with a sustainiac and 18 pickup split combinations) and build it, often at great expense, only to find out that there's a reason nobody makes a guitar like that. This one's the easiest to fix/avoid, but it also happens often enough that it's worth mentioning.