Hey there everybody! Intermediate electric player here (but acoustic noob), looking to buy a second acoustic. Well, actually, I have one 30-year old Yamaha acoustic, and I'm looking to buy an acoustic-electric.
My main priority for a new acoustic-electric is playability. My yamaha acoustic is simply atrocious. I can barely play a bar chord and the body is HUGE, making me feel like a dwarf in comparison. I need a managable-sized acoustic-electric. As of now, I'm stuck between the Ibanez EWC30ASERLG and the EW20ASENT (EW20 and EWC30 for simplicity's sake). They're nearly the exact same guitar, except the EW20 is 20" x 5" x 16" with a few extra built-in effects, while the EWC30 is 19.25" x 3.75" x 15". Only the sizes and effects (and some minor visual things) are different, and both guitars have a figured ash top. I'm leaning towards the EW20, as it has more effects, and looks prettier, but I don't want to suffer any major restrictions in tone. I'm not an expert on acoustic guitars, but do know that smaller acoustics don't sound as "full". Would the sound quality and "bassiness" between the two sizes in these guitars be noticeable, or does it really barely make a difference at all? I can live with a small sacrifice in tone, but not necessarily a huge one.
And before you tell me to do this, yes, I'm planning on going to my local music store and playing similar models for comparison.

Guitars:
http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-EW20ASENT
http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-EWC30ASERLG
Dean Z-X w/ Duncan Invader SH-8
Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR w/ Duncan SH-4 JB
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe (Amber Sunburst)
Vox VT15
Line 6 Spider III

R.I.P Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
not too sure about those guitars in particular. I the shop below my apartment has one of those actually (otherwise it's identical...) but I haven't played it so I can't help you there. If you're looking for a smaller acoustic electric guitar, I'd strongly recommend this: Takamine New Yorker
my shop has it and I played it and fell in love. It's got great tone and the guitar is simply gorgeous. Take a look at it on the takamine website or somewhere else that offers better picture quality. This little guitar really blew me away.
I really don't understand where you're coming from with respect to size with the EW-20. It's a jumbo. The only difference between its body, and Ibanez "AEL" bodies, (their largest), is the shape of the cutout. I mention this because you're saying your present guitar is too big.

I have and like an EW-20. Keep in mind it is bright, and really needs to be fretted perfectly, or it will punish you with all kinds of fret buzz if you don't. I call it my "Acoustic Telecaster. I do, genuinely enjoy playing this guitar, and its tonal character.

The chorus in this guitar is quite pleasant. It only has a fixed setting, but it's a good one

The "I can barely play a barre chord" thing could use a bit of explaining. You don't like the size of the neck, or the action is too high?

If you go with the smaller body, it won't have quite as much bass. That's sort of a given. Some of it can be retrieved or enhanced when you're plugged in. So be sure to play both guitars plugged and unplugged when you try them, preferably through either an acoustic amp, or a decent modeling amp. With a modeler you can simply dial up a tonality that matches either your mood, or the guitar's.

The EW-20 has a decent bottom end, with a bit of a "growl", due to the ash wood.

The EW-30's body is much thinner, which could help if you're going to play standing, or if reaching around the jumbo body is a problem. I think the thinness would be the most pronounced difference in playability, the other bout and length dimensions have less of an impact.

Expect to amp either of these guitars, if only with a decent practice amp. I use a Peavy Vyper 15. The clean amp models help contour the sound to your liking, and delay helps create ambiance that many rooms lack.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 2, 2011,
that has to be the finest example of a response i've ever read on this forum cranky ! holy crap !i'm gonna go out and get an ew-20 now. i'll be over to your house later to trade a taylor and 2 O's for your ew-20. i'll even throw in the blonde( her cooking makes MRE's look good) and my cat.
Quote by stepchildusmc
that has to be the finest example of a response i've ever read on this forum cranky ! holy crap !i'm gonna go out and get an ew-20 now. i'll be over to your house later to trade a taylor and 2 O's for your ew-20. i'll even throw in the blonde( her cooking makes MRE's look good) and my cat.

Will trade 72 LP std, fender tweed, and six otter pelts, for blonde, and Martin D 28- please post picture of Martin.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
i'll take the six pelts for the blonde... i'll even throw in the k10ce if you can gimme 4 hungry man tv dinners.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Well, unless those guitars are left handed, no, you're not. Keep the cat. I already have two designer animals. (Maine Coon and Rag Doll). Keep the blonde as well. My experience has been that their hair becomes stringy, their hips widen inordinately, and they're fairly shrill. While yours is, I'm sure, different, I'd still rather not chance it

It's heart warming to know I was able to provide you with another clever opportunity to work your Taylor guitars into a post.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 2, 2011,
go with the ew-20. if its good enough for cranky(you see where he gets his name), its good enough for anyone. cranky and patti would be the best resources on this forum for that information teh. my son's a lefty cranky, i might be able to scare one up. darn backwards people.... grumble grumble grumble.( and different doesn't cover it well enough)
Quote by Teh S'moore
I need a managable-sized acoustic-electric. As of now, I'm stuck between the Ibanez EWC30ASERLG and the EW20ASENT (EW20 and EWC30 for simplicity's sake). They're nearly the exact same guitar, except the EW20 is 20" x 5" x 16" with a few extra built-in effects, while the EWC30 is 19.25" x 3.75" x 15". Only the sizes and effects (and some minor visual things) are different, and both guitars have a figured ash top. I'm leaning towards the EW20, as it has more effects, and looks prettier, but I don't want to suffer any major restrictions in tone. I'm not an expert on acoustic guitars,

OK, I don't get that the EW-20 has, "some extra effects". The EW-20 & EW-30 have exactly the same onboard electronics, including the chorus. So, that shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Yes, there are some minor cosmetic differences in the binding, sound hole inlay, and the 12th fret inlay.

A rough guess as to sound quality between the 2 guitars, is the EW-30 will have less bass. That's almost a given but, with less bass to mask it, the high end will be perceived as being more noticeable. Again, you would need to recover the lost bottom end, through amplification.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 3, 2011,