I'm building a "punk rock" strat right now, 1 HB and just volume control, nothing else (well a killswitch, but that's irrelevant lol). I'm going with the JB but I've noticed 3 different models of it. On Guitar Center it lists the SH-4 for $72.99-75.99 (depending on color), then the 35th anniversary JB for $95.99. Then on eBay I see a TB-4 model (instead of SH-4). So that's 3 different models, can anyone tell me the differences?

I'm going for a similar tone to early Green Day, or mid-current Bad Religion, older Offspring. Just that really clean distortion with good chugging palm mutes and leads can be "hot" if you want em to. I know early Green Day Billie Joe used a JB, as have many other of the punk bands I want to base this guitar on .I don't want metal-y squeeling zakk Wylde pinch harmonic distortion tones. If the TB stands for "trem" anything I'm guessing it's gonna be TOO hot for what I'm going for? I have no clue about the 35th anniversary one though.

Also, I want to coil-split the JB. I read in the anniversary edition description that it's build exactly the same as the original, with different components than the current SH-4. Would I still be able to split it to a push/pull if I went with that PuP?
Last edited by Agent51 at Dec 1, 2011,
The TB-4 has 'F-spacing', the SH-4 'normal spacing'. This means that the SH-4 is better for fixed bridges and the TB-4 is better for guitars with tremolos. Basically, the spacing on the pole pieces is optimized differently on each.

As for the Anniversary JB, Seymour Duncan says "For a limited time—one year only—Seymour Duncan is proud to offer this 35th Anniversary Commemorative JB pickup. Like the earliest production JB, these special Commemorative pickups will have single-conductor wire, rough-cast magnets, butyrate bobbins, and long-legged bottom plates featuring a special laser-engraved 35th Anniversary logo.

Construction: Plain enamel wire, butyrate bobbins, rough-cast Alnico V bar magnets, long-legged bottom plates, and vintage single conductor hook-up wire."

It's apparently just made in a more "traditional" fashion in order to be more consistent with the originals. Whether or not that actually makes it better, I have no idea. The original JB sounds great for what it is so I wouldn't worry.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. SH-4 it is.

Kind of off topic (but it's my thread so it's not hijacking lol), but are different brand push/pull pots different in sound/quality, or even fit, like size-wise? I see Gibson and DiMarzio ones and then other brands I've never heard of. Are some better than others? Which one should I use? I'm going 500k so I want a 500K push/pull to pair with the SH-4. It's gonna be volume control not tone (not going with any tone control), of that matters.
The difference in tone between pots is almost nonexistent as long as you don't get a defective or extremely cheap pot. If you sat down and listened to two different pots in the same guitar, you might be able to tell an extremely tiny difference, but it's about the same as using different guitar cables. Almost no difference. The physical sizes are all about the same, too.

What WILL change, however, (in the case of a tone/volume pot) is the rate at which the volume/tone increases and decreases when you turn the knob. While it doesn't affect tone, it will affect the feel of using the knob.

If you're only using it for push/pull for coil splitting, there will be no difference.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm tired.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by Ayses
The difference in tone between pots is almost nonexistent as long as you don't get a defective or extremely cheap pot. If you sat down and listened to two different pots in the same guitar, you might be able to tell an extremely tiny difference, but it's about the same as using different guitar cables. Almost no difference. The physical sizes are all about the same, too.

What WILL change, however, (in the case of a tone/volume pot) is the rate at which the volume/tone increases and decreases when you turn the knob. While it doesn't affect tone, it will affect the feel of using the knob.

If you're only using it for push/pull for coil splitting, there will be no difference.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm tired.

I'm tired too, so it was a bit confusing lol. I'd like to have a finer control over the volume. Are you saying that some pots have a broader "sweep" than others? Like right now the stock pot pretty much sucks. Anything under 3 is off, 4-8 is pretty much the same volume, and 9-10 is VERY slightly louder. The pots on my other guitars (a couple LPs and a MIA Strat) have great range. I can roll up from 0-10 and have a braoad volume sweep in that time. Which brand would be the best pot for that, but again a push/pull so I can coil split.

I'm trying to make this my weekend project. I wanna switch out the PuP, pot, and add a killswitch this weekend. Next weekend will probably be swap out the tuners
Quote by Agent51
I'd like to have a finer control over the volume. Are you saying that some pots have a broader "sweep" than others?
Yeah that's basically what I'm saying. Some have more "range" and will actually function at all levels, from 1-10. Like you said, yours right now basically turns off after it goes under 3, but a good one won't, and it will sound more "smooth" when you turn the knob.

I'd recommend something like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-500k-push-pull-pot/987357000000000?content=review#review.

Never mind the 3 1/2 star review, it's only because of one guy who has no idea how to solder who gave everything a 1/5. Everyone who actually soldered it right gave it great reviews. I've used one of these first hand in my friend's project strat and it seemed perfect. To be honest, as long as you buy a good name-brand push/pull pot, you'll be fine. The only ones that are kind of "iffy" are the no-name ones that come stock in guitars, such as the one you have.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Dec 2, 2011,
Thank you very much for your help, I'm a long time player but recently decided to start learning modding/customizing. This is my first project so I'm starting easy. Eventually I want to work up to full builds just starting with bodies and necks. I've been asking a lot of Qs on these forums lately and everyone has been super helpful, it's awesome.