Not really.

You can run an electric through an acoustic amp and vice versa but it'll sound like poo.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Well pretty much any amp. They are both just line signals. Some work better than others though. I play my guitar through my friend's Orange Bass Terror amp and it sounds great.

What were you going for, or is it just a general question?
Yes and no...

An acoustic guitar can sound decent through a good tube (electric) amp. Not sure about the opposite though.

Really, you would want an amp designed specifically for the nuances of your type of instrument.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Dec 1, 2011,
Quote by L2112Lif
The Marshall MG series does wonderfully uncharacteristic and bland tones for both acoustic and electric... Not to mention it has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE.

Shush.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well pretty much any amp. They are both just line signals. Some work better than others though. I play my guitar through my friend's Orange Bass Terror amp and it sounds great.

What were you going for, or is it just a general question?

I got an Ibanez Montage is the instrument i have
Quote by L2112Lif
The Marshall MG series does wonderfully uncharacteristic and bland tones for both acoustic and electric... Not to mention it has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE.

I love the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE on my acoustic. Zakk Wylde would be proud.
Guitars:
Agile AL 3000
Alvarez AD60SC
Ibanez GRX20
Squire Standard Strat

Amp:
Peavey Valveking 2x12

Effects:
Digitech Grunge
Behringer Tube Overdrive TO800
Digitech GNX3

i thought losing my virginity would be better than that
i believe orange makes an amp that is designed to handle both guitar and bass. a bass amp isnt that different from an acoustic amp so... yeah i think its a thunder-verb or something is what its called?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Depends on what you want out of the amp. An acoustic sounds quite nice through a Roland JC-120 but for electric guitar that means all you can get from the amp is cleans and you have to rely on pedals for dirt. An acoustic sounds quite good through a Fender Twin too.
However you don't really need an amp for acoustic, I always plug mine directly into the PA. That way you don't have to make any compromises.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
also what about a fender bassman?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Any of the big clean tube Fenders work pretty good, you just have to EQ them accordingly. I'd still prefer to use the PA though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Any of the big clean tube Fenders work pretty good, you just have to EQ them accordingly. I'd still prefer to use the PA though.

yeah, i was going to mention my 'big clean solid state amps' sound fairly good with acoustics. in particular my music man amps do alright.

TS, one of the big things you are going to be fighting is that electrics guitar amps have more emphasis in midrange. noticeable humps at particular parts of the EQ that electrics sound good with. acoustic amps are designed to be more clean, electric guitar amps aren't.

also electrics use different speakers than acoustic amps, electric amps have very loose, responsive, colorful speakers; while acoustics tend to have full range, tight, even speakers. sometime acoustic amps even have 2-way speaker systems, or 2 different sized speakers, this is to help be more full range; electric guitars don't really like that too well.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Ok, 90% of the problem is in the speakers (as the gent above mentioned). Guitar speakers roll off a ton of treble - for an example, try removing the speaker emulation on amp software like Guitar Rig and it'll sound like a buzzy mess.

However, a great deal of what makes and acoustic sound good is in these high treble frequencies...through an electric amp, it'll basically sound like a weedy, thing electric.

However, if you bought an amp head, you could use it with standard 12" guitar cabs for electric, and switch to a full-range speaker (probably a 12" PA speaker with a tweeter) for acoustic.

Now I think about it, I suppose you could fit a tweeter into your current amp, with an on/off switch. (That would actually work wonders, but might cause some impedance issues with a tube amp). Turn it on for acoustic, off for electric.
Aha, it appears I'm not crazy!

Doyle Audio EPS12T

A single 12" guitar cabinet with tweeter. Designed for the Guitarist that switches from acoustic to electric guitar. The EPS12T is the EPS12 model with a CLC Piezo tweeter. At the flick of a switch, it will bring in the high end sparkle of an acoustic guitar or cut the tweeter for regular electric guitar sound. This cab is ported to acquire the full depth and presence of your guitar.

Still, anywhere you're gigging with an acoustic, there's going to be a PA for vocals. Most acoustic players just plug into that.