Hey Everyone,

I am currently working on a song in which most of the guitar parts are harmonized. I am having a difficult time getting the two guitar tracks to sound distinct and still sound like a harmony. It seems whenever I try to make each one more defined, either by EQ'ing, panning or anything else, it looses the feel of being harmonized. Likewise, when I mix it so it sounds like a harmony, the notes themselves sound harmonized but the tone and definition of each track is terrible. I was wondering if any of you might have some advice or ideas on how to get it to sound better?

Thanks,

Instinct.
what do you mean the guitar parts are harmonised? aren't any instruments playing together harmonised? since harmony is just multiple simultaneous musical pitches (or notes)?
---
Are these harmonized rhythms, leads, etc, and could you post a clip of what you've got, please? The way I personally mix harmonized guitar parts depends on the vibe of the song.
Let's party.
@Odirunn

I have two main parts that are being harmonized. The first is a single note pattern on the lower strings of the guitar that creates a really rhythmic feel. So in that sense it is a rhythm part, but composed of single notes, not chords.

The second is a single-note pedal-tone riff on the G and B strings. This is definitely more of a lead section than a rhythm section.

Unfortunately I am not able to post it because I do not have access to the computer that has the file on it right now. However, if it helps, the feel of the song is a hardrock, driving groove. I guess I want it to sound as heavy and in-your-face as possible, while still retaining enough clarity to tell what's going on musically, if that makes sense...
I'd start with the heavier rhythm part hard panned 100% L/R. One thing that really adds emphasis to harmonies like that is to have the guitars play in unison first, then when the riff repeats, start the harmonizing.

For the higher leadish part, depending on the other element of your mix, try starting at maybe 75% L/R and then move them towards center until you've got enough separation to tell it's two parts harmonizing while still being cohesive.

Another thing to consider is that perhaps the reason you're losing definition when you're mixing the parts together is that you've got too much gain; this will lead to excessive mud and fizzy/scratchiness that definitely detracts from the definition of notes.
Let's party.
Hmmm if I have two lead lines harmonized in thirds for example I'd usually pan one 100% left and the other 100% right. And make sure your playing is absolutely tight and in time of course. It's hard to say exactly what is causing your problem without hearing it.
Hearing it would really help to identify what you're talking about. Do both parts have the same amp settings (tone)?